360CS vs 458SP Maintenance | FerrariChat

360CS vs 458SP Maintenance

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ascend, Mar 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Hello!

I am debating between 360CS vs. 458SP.

Love the look of both 360cs and 458sp but I would like owners’ opinions on how much actual maintenance I should expect to spend for the car. I understand that 360 needs belt replaced every 3 years or so. With that evened out, how much on average will 360cs cost per year? And how much so for 458sp.

458sp will cost me 150k more in average (albeit newer, faster car) but I dont want to buy 360cs just for cheaper price and spend way more in maintenance.

Also, for the clutch, heard 458 ones last life of car but 360 needs to have it replaced. Will it play a significant role?

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You will NEVER spend $150k in maintenance. That being said.. the 458sp performs a world better and is a more modern car. I'm going to do 458 or newer on the next Ferrari I add on.. the real question is how much the 458sp will depreciate. Will that be less than 360 operating costs for a slower car?

3. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    That is true. 458 is a pretty looking car. 360 is a classic. 430 scud is the middle child. Too young to be classic and too ugly to be modern. Problem with 360 is its hard to find a clean example. As hard as finding a 40 year old virgin hottie.

4. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Scud is ugly??!!?? Dude.
    And who the heck would want a 40 year old virgin??

5. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim

LOL my bad... pretty bad analogy.

one4torque likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The 360 is best at this stage in a 3 pedal car owned by someone who doesn't mind and can work on it themselves. Scud has been and will always be a nice car (a "better 430") hampered by an F1 transmission. Too similar to the 360 F1 transmission which is crap. :)

Do the 458sp. Unless its a 3-pedal 360 that's nice and clean.

armedferret likes this.
  7. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    so you wouldnt really consider 360cs.

8. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I think people are forgetting your talking about a CS as opposed to a std 360. If your looking to do trips of any distance or a “daily”, get the 458. A CS is for special occasions where you can get her out, stretch her legs, exercise her in the corners and rev the piss out of her. CS’s are getting old now so take that into account. You’ll probably have issues with a 2004 Honda/Toyota so expect things to pop up in a 2004 Ferrari.

I’ve had a 458 coupe, 2 x Scuds, and am on my 3rd CS, which I intend to keep so....yeah. I’m bias. ;)

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Instead of the 458sp... heck no!

The technology is just better and more reliable with the 458 and later cars, as is the handling. The 430 and 360 at the limit just aren’t as good as the 458 and later cars... and with the F1 gearbox you might just be at a stoplight in busy traffic and the brake switch will go. It’s a simple fix, but it’s still inconvenient, not mention the f1 pump, sensors, actuators, relay, etc etc.

they don’t get more reliable with age.

Manda racing likes this.
  10. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Speciale and Challenge Stradale are both very special cars. Very special. I have both and would not sell them.

You ask specifically about maintenance. My experience with multiple CS is that maintenance has not been a significant expense. New battery and new tires have been needed. Sometimes I had to replace after market exhausts with the proper OEM sport exhaust.

I have two Speciale A and a Speciale and have had no maintenance issues besides the incessant and suspect alignment needs which service tells me I need on every car they see.

If I could only have one of the two? The Speciale is the last of the non-turbo mid-engine V8. But, CS. The CS is the baby to perhaps my favorite car, the FXX. It is loose, it is wild, it is slippery, it is phenomenal!

Jeffg11 and marknkidz like this.
  11. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    If Maintenance is only concern.... CS VS SPECIALE, the CS will prob cost you $1200 more per year, thats factoring the belts every 3 years, whereas no belt on SPECIALE. Other than that fluid changes etc. will be the same.

Both amazing cars, its like picking between a two supermodels, one blonde one brunette!!

12. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    what about the gearbox issue for 360 versus modern ferrari? Will that cause a problem in the future?

13. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Also how 360 uses single clutch transmission...

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #14 Skippr1999, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    The CS has been the most reliable Ferrari I’ve owned. Dino, 308,328,355,CS.

The transmission is perfectly fine once you learn how the drive it. The gear box allows much more driver involvement than the DTC. The key is to manually blip the throttle while simultaneously pulling the paddle for a downshift. If you don’t do this it will seem clunky, but that scenario is totally avoidable if you understand the systems capabilities. The F1 system is also very basic and rebuildable at a reasonable cost if problems arise. I’d much rather have to repair the old F1 system than the newer DTC if necessary.

I don’t know anyone who changes their belts every 3 years. 5 to 7 is more like it depending on your confidence in who does the work, which can vary widely.

The only other car I’d like to own is the Speciale.

So, it’s either raw and mostly analog, or something more modern. Take your pick.

In the end, both great cars that will cost similar dollars to maintain overtime. The CS is older and parts will start wearing out, but the newer tech will be more expensive if things fail.

15. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I bought my CS October 2010. Maintenance has been $1000 per year except the one year I did belt change it was was $4k and change. I bought new tires 2 years ago. All service done at the dealer. I’ve put 12k miles on the car.

It been a great ownership experience. Never left stranded. Never not turned on when I wanted. But.... I do drive it regularly. It’s never sat more than 7 days without being driven to full temp.

16. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I would comment about maintenance and my fears of getting a repair bill.....If I wasn’t too busy taking my 360 on a road trip this very moment..... I have put 2000+ miles on my car in four months, if the engine blows so what, if I need a new transmission who cares. I will have my mechanic Fix it, get it back on the road.

We didn’t make Ferrari money being scared in the business world.......So why should we turn around and start being scared with car ownership??? Just know your margins, and get a car that fits within those margins. If you plan for the worst, which is basically a $20,000 bill, then put that money aside and then if Crap hits the fan you’re still fine.

Jason Crandall likes this.
  17. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim

So can I assume that the worst thing that can happen to 360 is 20k bill? I have never owned a ferrari so I am scared if something (esp old model by 360) goes wrong, it will cost my arm and leg

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Short of blowing up your engine, it’s not going to cost that much. It’s just a car ! The dealer can figure ways to get your bills higher than 20k, but that should not happen at a reputable indie.

DiabloTerr and ShineKen like this.
  19. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    You could easily get a used 360 transmission for under 7K, you can get a engine out of a wrecked car for under 12 K if you have an Independent Shop do an engine rebuild it’s around 20 K, but the place that does my maintenance can do it for around 15 K. The engine and transmission on 360s are solid, I haven’t seen too many issues out of vehicles that are properly serviced and not overly abused.

I know someone who had to get an engine replacement on a McLaren 570 S, that was a nice 56K Bill, luckily it was under warranty. The good thing about the 360 is it a 20+ year old platform and pretty much all the kinks are known at this time.

There’s no way I would send it to her authorized dealer unless I absolutely had to, independents are your best bet. I would recommend getting an OBD Scanner, so that if the car gives you cold you can look them up yourself. Way too many people take their Ferraris to the dealer for trivial issues that can be solved by reading the owners manual or checking a code with a scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skippr1999 likes this.
  20. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    What about the speed sensor in the 458. I have seen quite a few issues with the newer gearboxes in the 458. Not cheap at all. In theory they are more bulletproof than the F1. But the sensors are a pain. Servicing yourself isn't easy as well.
    Apart from the TCU and alignment procedures, the F1 tech is quite straightforward and easy to understand.

21. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I posted this on other thread but wanted opinions from 360 guys here...

What do you gents think about 360 cs vs 997.2 gt3 rs.

Seems like mint example for CS go for 260-270k and mint example for 997.2 gt3 rs go for 220k.

Is buying a low mileage CS for 260k a bad idea? Should I stick with cheaper and less maintenance headache rs? (But obviously not as beautiful as 360cs)

What about cars like this?
    https://www.cauleyferrari.com/used-vehicle-2004-ferrari-360-challenge-stradale-c-375/
    https://www.prestigeimports.com/vehicle-details/used-2004-ferrari-360-challenge-stradale--north-miami-beach-fl-id-34208128

and how liquid (i know) are 360cs? If i ever want to upgrade to a different car? Seems like lots of cs stay on market for a long time.

22. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    They stay in the market because there’s a story to them. If you find one you like, research the CS Market thread. Tons of info there.

In order for us to help guide you, what is the purpose for the car? Daily driver, weekend blasts, do you have another car as a daily? If your looking for the best Swiss Army knife of cars, look into a 991 GT3 RS. I had one and it was the best “car” I’ve ever owned....hands down. Reliable, good hvac, good amenities, 100% capable track car, put a sharkwerks back box on it and it’s sound will rival any Fcar, you can easily pack a week for two into it, and it was comfortable. I loved it. But.....I’m too big of a Ferrari nut swinger to drive a Porsche. haha

23. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The only Porsche that rivals the sound of a Ferrari is the CGT. I mean, I love my two 997.2 GT3RS with Sharkwerks headers and exhaust but they do not come anywhere in the same hemisphere to the sound of a Ferrari. The Germans are a loud brutal cough whereas the Italians are a beautiful opera.

AndreB likes this.
  24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    What separates the CS. Is honesty. The car is honest! It does exactly what it’s designed to do without many electronics involved. 100% driver controlled. And the last of its kind.

FORZA 62, armedferret and AndreB like this.
  25. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If given the cash budget for a Speciale, I'd have a VERY difficult time buying one instead of a CS and converting to gated. ;)

vrsurgeon likes this.