Any metal experts here? About cleaning stains | FerrariChat

Any metal experts here? About cleaning stains

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Innovativethinker, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    As I have posted here, we recently remodeled our kitchen, - we tossed our Viking units, primarily because my wife complained she couldn't keep the brass burner units clean. (uh, honey - it's brass).

So after a hunt for burners that she could keep clean she settled on a GE Monogram six burner stove/oven (well, we ended up with two ovens). This model: https://appliances.monogram.com/us/specs/ZDP366NPSS

Now, part of the burned units are developing stains on the "silver" portion of the burner. I've tried kitchen cleaner, barsmaid, automobile polish, rubbing compound and high pressure steam cleaning. The stains don't budge and they are all looking bad.

I know this may seem trivial, but I really don't want to replace this unit again. I've emailed GE to ask for solutions.

While I'm not sure if you can, I'm even considering powder coating them to keep the wife happy.

Any suggestions? See attached, slightly out of focus pic. It is worse than it appears in the pic, since all of the burner units are developing these type of stains. Really odd, as they are all developing the same stain - irrespective of what is cooking on them. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Hard to tell what type of metal the surrounds are made from or if they are coated already. The finish suggests it is potentially a cast item that has been sand blasted and/or coated. The manufacturer will need to tell you what the metal is and how best to clean it. Acids and pickling solutions may remove the stain or make it worse so car needs to be taken.

If any stains are an issue, then might I suggest a high temperature ceramic coating as used on headers for motors, otherwise you would need to get some custom made out of an alloy than can take acid cleaning or something as high temperatures and spills will likely need something special if no stains can be tolerated.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm no metal expert but Metallica, Megadeth, are a couple of my favorite metal bands, but sometimes I go a bit darker and throw on some Slipknot, Avatar and maybe some 5 Finger Death Punch.. hope this helps..

Tojo, Innovativethinker and Jaguar36 like this.
  4. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Look into dry ice blasting. It may work for you. Short of some type of cleaning regimen, I would look for a local CNC machine shop to turn/mill some replacements out of a high quality stainless steel or another metal that will allow normal cleaning. If you go this route, skip the blasted finish as a smooth one is much easier to clean.

Good luck and…

Cheers!