Gorgeous 1977 308 on Ebay | FerrariChat

Gorgeous 1977 308 on Ebay

Discussion in '308/328' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #2 BigTex, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    I believe that is my old faithful 22641!!!

The "Mario Andretti picture car", after a huge cosmetic restoration ....as it only had about 30K miles on it, you should be good to go!!

EDIT: That 35K miles is totally original as I was only the third owner since new.
    It sat unsold at Ron Tonkin until about 1980, so had black fender grills and a rear air deflector under my ownership, now thankfully back to 1977 appearance.

I think the second owner is still alive, so a "known provenance" chain there.....

48969 and JuLiTrO like this.
  2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It stayed ahead of Ralph Lauren in his 288GTO, in New Orleans.....:D :D :D

Yep, that's it.

He's pretty firm on that price but he sweated the minor details, and got the paint color JUST right..
    Member here: articlighting is the seller.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    When are you going to finally pull the trigger on one of these?

You have been threatening to do it for years!

4. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    That car is a winner!

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I know man I know lol! Stop dreaming and start living, time is short!

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So it is your old car? Tell us about the Mario Andretti picture car...what does this mean?

7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    A great looking 308, interior and exterior. Too bad they did not spend the time and effort on making the engine compartment as good and correct.
    Non-oem hose clamps all around, non-cloth hoses for fuel supply to carbs (can see BMW hoses used), non-cloth hoses for emissions canister, missing evap cloth hoses at lower carbs bases, fwd distributor has condenser installed over the condenser wire, etc.....
    I am picky..:)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It always started.....LOL!

I attribute that to the "Andretti Blessing" administered before we left his winery and headed into Death Valley, coming out at Barstow.....
    Route 66!!!

We were actually on I40 until the jet Fuel Plant east of Las Vegas exploded, that night....another story.....

JuLiTrO likes this.
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fair point, although IMO the lack of cloth hoses is a comforting sign they have been updated...

ginoBBi512 and ChevyDave like this.
  10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My girl and I picked it up in Spokane, loaded a fire extinguisher and next stop was Mario's Winery in Napa Valley.
    He came past the whole row of modern cars, looked at the old paint on this one at the time, and said:

"These are fine cars".....so, there's a picture of Mario and I, from the trip and there's also one of he and Valeria.
    She's about a foot taller.....

:D :D :D

There's already a restoration thread in this Section on the car, search "rare color" because there were not many others even made with this shade of blue.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  11. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Car attracted a lot of attention on Bring a Trailer last September. 400+ photos and 308 comments (ironically) were posted there if you want to get to know it a little better. Gorgeous car and such a refreshing change from all the Rosso Corsa/Tan cars....says the guy with a Rossa Corsa/Tan car...:p
    I also like the use of non-braided lines here for a number of reasons. The 308 is my fifth mid/rear-engine car and I find it easier to thread the non-braided lines through the tight confines of a mid-engine cars' engine compartment, to ascertain their condition, and to dress them and keep them looking newer longer than their braided counterparts. Obviously not the ticket for those chasing that 100 Point look, but absolutely on-point for real world use in my book.

BigTex likes this.
  12. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I'd take that story and the pictures that ensued over any amount of correctly routed condenser wires, cloth braided hoses and original hose clips :)
    A beautiful car in a truly stunning hue !! As a former owner it must be heart warming to see it in such fine fettle after all these years.

13. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    Thank you BigTex, I spent a lot of time on the 308, I would say close to 3000 plus hours on the restoration over the 5 year project. I'm proud I finished the 308, and didn't give up. I was so excited to finally figure out the wheel labels and to have them painted not a sticker. I went over and above on the car, trying to make it as original as I could.

There are a lot of memories in the restoration of 22641. When Rader, the guy that is helping me, saw the 308 for the first time he called me and said how amazing the paint work was in person. Photos don't do the color justice or the quality of the paint work.

The 308 needs to be out where it can be seen, the issue is Spokane just doesn't have the exotic vibe, mainly American muscle.

14. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    Juan-Manuel-
    Please call Rader or myself on the car. It really is an amazing 308GTB I must say. I'm a bit biased of course. This wasn't a scuff and shoot, the amount of detail, sanding, and work is beyond the normal.

Call me at 509-370-3623, if you have any questions.

Thank you Brian

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was a four day blazing extravaganza across the US, with ALL kinds of odd details, Brass Era cars chugging thru Yosemite, A GT40 Reunion on the Sonoma Square, blast thru San Francisco, (on Prom Night oddly enough!) and then on and on..

A multi million dollar collection, randomly on track at Phoenix Raceway, on down to the lowriders in Las Cruces..

Oh yes the Jet fuel plant near Las Vegas up in smoke, Lake Havasu, London Bridge, desert rats and Cigarette boat bikinis.
    Probably 400 photos my uncle recommended I "blog" it!!

Maybe still should, she was a wonderful lady and sexy travel partner...can't see very well at night tho.....might well be why she ended up with me...:D :D

Yes, this car always ran, although brake fade in Yosemite had me choosing between "4000' down, to frozen lake of fisherman, or "hit the roxk wall to loose some speed"...when pedal came back, we stopped at the "Woah Nellie Deli "for a meal and a drink!!

I really should write it all up...

robbie308 likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There IS a thread, somewhere back at the time.......who knows where, maybe on the other side of our destructive "crash"...???

17. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013

You really should, it sounds an absolute blast !!
    I drove Highway 120 through Yosemite whilst driving from Big Sur to Mammouth Mountain roughly 10 years ago. Stunning scenery and a wonderful road !!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I spent three days in Big Sur, I can recommend the Ventana Lodge, and this place on the PCH for a great breakfast :

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's got that much "into it" since buying it.....I tried to caution him but he had a lot of fun doing it.

I would have patched the fuel tanks, and breaking the OEM windshield was a big uh oh....
    It came out very nice, the Market will eventually catch up to him IMO

19. Luis A.

Luis A. Karting

Jul 14, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    True. I was highlighting the fact that the listing started at $130K and it now is at $135K. Perhaps a higher price will entice more interest...

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

If you want me to go there and check it out, Ill drive down and take it for a test ride , no fooling here

PM me

Thank you