The BORA | Page 35 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I no longer have #1046, would love to know it’s whereabouts today. The esteemed Mr. Staats is the longtime caretaker of #1048.

2. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    And, fwiw, I replaced the 1977-dated spare as well. Never been dinged in a concours for having up to date tires. While it would be nice as a perfect garage display....I’m not willing to depend on a 44-year old tire as a spare.

Nembo1777 and boralogist like this.
  3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #853 boralogist, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Please also note this extraordinarily rare cooling feature on your remarkable Bora:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ENJOY her!

4. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Oh yes, I did see that. I’ve been all over this. Might want to replace the crush washers at one caliper, but it’s really minor, wouldn’t do it unless I had it in for something more flamboyant, and don’t know how long that has been like that. The parking brake, on the other hand....I am noodling on a solution, it’s a pretty funky setup.

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I dedicated many hours to the parking brake and never came up with a solution. Took the cable out and verified that it moves freely. It works, unless you are on a hill :) Hope you can figure it out.

Ivan

6. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Solved years ago:
    Re-route it away from the exhaust which causes it to dry and seize.
    Make sure the whole line is insulated by some 'NASA approved' heat wrap which I found years ago.
    If needed I will try to dig it up.

Regards.

7. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    https://www.designengineering.com/titanium-exhaust-wrap/

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I know heat melting the handbrake sleeve can be a problem on a Bora except I do not think that is the problem in this case. I was able to move the cable inside the sleeve without a problem. Still, the heat shield is a great idea.

Ivan

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well on the USA cars with thermal reactors they get hot enough to cause the nylon inner liner to melt and fuse the cable.
    I had to replace everything. This happened to me on my initial purchase drive home trip.

So I had a local truck brake/clutch cable supplier make new cable housings.
    Then I went to a sailing rigging shop and had them swedge onto stainless steel cable new end fittings that operate those mechanical calipers.
    They were identical looking, in stainless steel and even had a trident embossed on them because of the marine brand.
    I sleeved the cable housings with silicon heater hose and never had another problem again.
    Even after all my high speed runs in Nevada.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like the same Ted Bonny modification he made on his 73 Bora # 604 he used to run in Mexico ages ago now. I think a few people have tried that. I wonder if it actually helps?

11. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    I’m lucky enough to have a long term affiliation with a supplier of high end hoses and thermal products to the racing and aerospace industry; we restored a couple of F1 cars, and they use some flamboyant heat shielding. So access to the higher performance world, I hope, will help as we take a closer look at why that little brake is recalcitrant.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Your car has or had the thermal reactors at one time so some of the liner may have melted and deposited on the cable and is casing a hang up at times.
    A trcuk cable serivicing shop can probably make you a new set albeit WO stainless cable and the fancy stainless connectors I ended up using.

It's that plastic liner getting close to headers that's the issue. So if you insulate with some fire sleeve or even just do what I did you'll be good to go.
    I added a lot of SS heat shields on my car. I think I replaced that one that "protected" the brake cables as well. There's no asbestos left on my car now.

13. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    You appear to be a very knowledgeable perfectionist.
    If I may make a suggestion backed by 33 years of Bora ownership please replace the thermal reactors with euro headers, correct the timing and then proceed as you see fit.

Regards.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Thanks for the kind words, Boralogist. I am new to the marque, though, and it will take some time to acquire a reasonable base of knowledge. You have probably forgotten more than I'll learn in the next three years or so. So it's a steep learning curve, but I do have some experience in other marques, like the amount of attention to detail takes to win a concours, and what it takes to reliably put a F1 car on the track. So I'm not coming from zero, but I'm clearly a newbie here, and I'm not afraid to ask dumb questions.

Merak1974, boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    No such thing as a dumb question in the House of Trident;)
    WELCOME!

Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Speaking of dumb questions, can a Campagnolo magnesium wheel be welded/repaired? There appears to be some contradictory information out there. If yes, does anyone know who is capable of doing it? If no, anyone know of a spare wheel (or 2) for sale for a Bora? New Campagnolo wheels are available, but unlike the originals they have “Campagnolo" cast into the edge of the rim. Please see pics: Original wheel, cracked wheel, new wheel.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Unfortunately Mag wheels become dangerous and need to be replaced by alloy ones, there is no way around that, there have been failures and accidents.

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The original wheel on the late model Boras without hub caps had a Campagnolo sticker that looks identical to what is on the new wheel in the box. Are you sure it is cast and not just a sticker? Earlier Boras with hub caps had a different sticker

Ivan

19. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Not sure. You can just make out the cast logo at about one o'clock on the early original wheel in the top photo. There are no stickers. On the new wheel in the bottom photo it looks like a sticker at the 4 o'clock position, but "Campagnolo" appears cast into the rim at the 3 o'clock spot.
    Art

20. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Who is the source for the new wheels ?

21. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    They are available via Campana, Candini, Eurospares, and MIE.

22. christof schlicht

Mar 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    christof
    ANF289, 71Satisfaction and boralogist like this.
  23. ANF289

ANF289 Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Just informed that the available wheels are "original new old Maserati stock".

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    In alloy or mag? In the latter case not desirable.

When I last spoke to Candini they had a few alloy Khamsin wheels they had arranged to produce but I don't know about Bora wheel availability.

25. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Candini wheels are not NOS.
    They are alloy wheels "Campagnolo-replica" for Khamsin made by CNC from a forged block.