Help identify loose fuse panel cables | FerrariChat

Help identify loose fuse panel cables

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rhern213, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #1 rhern213, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Hi folks, I just dug into the fuse panel and found some loose harnesses, was hoping someone could identify them.

There was a 4-pin and a 3-pin pictured below.

Separately, I also was trying to find out where a cable that is connected to the battery is coming from. It's tucked into the wheel well cover and runs all the way down underneath the radiator, but I can't see where it ends. I was thinking maybe it's the power for the radiator fans?

As a bonus, looks like I was also being followed by the CIA, :)

Appreciate any help, thanks! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The cables are for connecting to an SD 1/2/3

rhern213 likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The last one is socket "H" on the relay panel. Ferrari use common relay panels between models (rewired). It believe the panel was used on the 456, 456M and 550. It wasn't used on 456M and 550, but photos show wiring there on the 456 (non-M).

Is that SysLOCATE an aftermarket tracker with GPS antenna connection?

Is that the negative or positive terminal of the battery? The 550 wiring diagrams show 3 wires on the positive battery terminal and one on the negative. See bottom left hand corner of this diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/sBHgBahfwRQtpZEB

Knowing the wire colours in that top photo would help with identification. As Dave says, they could be for Ferrari SD diagnostic tools, although I thought they used 3 pin plugs?

rhern213 likes this.
  4. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Yeah the syslocate is a GPS tracker, but it was disconnected anyway. I still have to yank out the antenna cable that seems to be routed back behind the radio.

I believe the SD connectors you and Dave are talking about are these pictured below? Those are properly labeled and capped as the diagnostic ports.

The ones I'm talking about are square connectors in the 1st picture above, but they're unlabeled.

I figured out what the cable on the battery is for, it's the ground for the horn. The other cable attached is for the optional battery tender.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The radiators are powered via wires coming from the relay panel. See items 19 & 20 in this wiring diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/IikPSzoobElDxyB0

Follow the blue-green (LV) and black-blue wires (NL).

rhern213 likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. The wiring diagrams show different earths for the horn and battery. Do you mean the regular steering wheel activated horn or an aftermarket siren?

rhern213 likes this.
  7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I believe the 3 wire connector is used to enable daytime running lights for countries like Canada where it was already required by law when the 550 was sold. There is a plug, p/n 200852 that bridges the wires and forces the lights on with the ignition regardless if the light switch. My US car in Canada had this done at some time before I bought it. Here’s a photo of the plug that was added to my car.

F456M and rhern213 like this.
  8. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I believe it's the steering wheel horn I don't see another. The horn's located under the passenger headlight. The same ground wire is shared with what looks like the horn compressor.

The car had an aftermarket stereo system so I wouldn't be surprised if a previous owner relocated the wire to the battery for some odd reason or maybe had an aftermarket alarm at some point.

Would you happen to know where the original ground point is supposed to be for the horn? I can't seem to open the link you posted, gives me an error.

Thanks for the help!

9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thank you that makes sense, I'd like to try and find one to see if it works properly.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange. It works for me. It's a free Dropbox account, so I don't expect too much from it. Maybe I exceeded the limit. I'll try to upload it again this evening.

11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I got it now, I was trying to open from my phone before, I just tried on the computer and it worked.
    Thanks!

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's not really the sort of diagram which shows you where the physical location is, but the windscreen washer motor and the right fog light all end up at "311" (via 210).

The battery earth is labelled 304 (in another diagram). I see, in that same diagram, a strange detached section of wiring... An earth attached to an earth.

I have no idea what it means.

Full diagram here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/t/FRTr0W0K6CtDHjs7

13. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    @Qavion
    Looks like I made a mistake, the earth wire on the battery was not the horn, it was the alarm siren, sorry about that.
    I still don't see that it's supposed to be directly on the battery anyway.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are the positive and negative terminals of the battery clearly marked? The wiring diagrams show the alarm siren directly attached to the battery positive. The earth for the siren appears to be one of the earths on the engine block. The siren earth wiring goes through several splices and connectors for some reason.

If you have separate earth wires on a battery, when you use the battery isolation switch, parts of the car will still be powered. This would cause all kinds of problems.

rhern213 likes this.
  15. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    My 456GT had the siren positive directly on the terminal, while the negative was mounted on the battery main switch, battery side. That provided an earth and subsequent battery drain through the aftermarket alarm system even though the battery switch was off. Took me some time to find!

rhern213 likes this.
  16. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #16 rhern213, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    So here's what I'm looking at below: Seems like they may have cut the original ground wire and re-routed it directly to the battery? This makes me think more that it used to have an aftermarket alarm and when it was removed they half assed the job instead of putting it back to the original wire they put it directly on the battery to save time.

I think this may be as simple as just cutting off that re-routed wire and re-attaching the cut-off one to the original connector?

The one odd thing is I don't see or feel where that new re-routed wire was spliced together from the original connector. I find it hard to believe they would've run a new wire all the way to the pin inside the connector.

FYI, the alarm works just fine and beeps as it should when locking and unlocking the car.

17. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    That seems similar to what I'm looking at, except the positive was left alone. Thankfully the car doesn't have any battery drain problems so it doesn't seem to really be affecting anything.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Quite bizarre. Just confirm that the cut off black wire is indeed a chassis earth before reattaching it. Also confirm that you lose the connection between the battery earth terminal and that cutoff wire with the battery in the cutoff position.

I also find it strange that the cutoff wire has that heatshrink around it and that the wire which goes to the battery has some authentic-looking black plastic tubing around it. The evidence seems to point to the currently attached black wire is the original one.

rhern213 likes this.
  19. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks, I'll certainly test it out.