New California for me! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New California for me!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by w0rtw0rt, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Fantastic!! I wanted Pozzi as well. Glad you found it.

2. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I changed all three (motor and transmission) myself on my ‘13 Cali about six months ago at 15k miles. The parts were around $600 and the procedure is pretty well documented here on the forum. It took me a day or two at a leisurely pace. I figure an experienced technician could do it in two or three hours so maybe $1200 total to have it done.

3. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Update on the car - It's on its way to Boardwalk Ferrari on Monday. I've been able to drive the car with all gears for 10-15 minutes at a time (depends on the temp outside) before the DCT issue appears and I lose some gears. I don't always lose my gears when the dash light comes on. Hopefully should be fixed here soon! Going to fly out to Dallas when it's done and drive it back.

jblakesmith_gt and RBully10 like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fingers crossed for you! Steve and his crew are great. It'll be in good company. My Cali is in for its annual service...T

w0rtw0rt likes this.
  5. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Thanks for the info. Where did you source the mounts for around 600?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Glad you found someone to repair rather than replace since it's out of warranty. Please keep us posted on price, details, lead time. I found Ferrari of Central Florida also repairs dct.

7. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #107 Bill Phillips, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Guess I misremembered a little. The motor mounts are $275 each at Scuderia. The gearbox mount is $160.

jblakesmith_gt likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    She’s a beauty! Congratulations!

9. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Thanks Bill!

Bill Phillips likes this.
  10. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Update - The car has been picked up (driver was late due to all the Texas weather shenanigans) as of this morning. Now the long wait. Steve at Boardwalk has told me they will do a full complimentary diagnostic on the car to determine all the issues present. They're also going to rebuild the DCT. The issue seems to be something to do with the temperature as it only occurs once the car heats up and maintains temperature for a certain period of time (typically 15-20 minutes of consistent driving).

I'll keep things up to date here and attach the diagnostic report when Steve sends it to me. Hopefully chronicling it here will help anyone frantically Google searching it later.

Rehash of the issues occurring -
    1.) DCT loses (some) even gears after getting up to temp. I can drive the car without issue for about 10-20 minutes before losing those gears. Sometimes I will lose all even gears. Other times I might lose 6th gear. Other times I might lose 4th and 6th.
    2.) Motor mounts need replacing. They're collapsed. Car runs rough at idle (although I don't notice it).
    3.) Crack in the manifold - this was reported by FoA. If it's an issue, I will get it fixed.

As a side question, for those who have done it, are there any aftermarket headers for the California? I seem to remember there being one from Fabspeed but I may be wrong and I cannot find it. I am thinking I may have my full exhaust system replaced with either a Fabspeeed or Armytrix exhaust and wanted to do everything from the headers down but am having some issues. I don't have much of a "purist" mindset so I have no issues putting parts on a car I plan to drive till the wheels come off.

tomc and alex like this.
  11. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
  12. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I've only just seen this thread, but I really feel sorry for you. The car looks brilliant, and I can only imagine how your excitement turned to misery in such a short time.

I'm in the position of looking for a suitable California, but this sort of horror story is a bit off-putting, to put it mildly.

Such a major failure only a couple of weeks after you bought it implies that the car was faulty at the time of sale.

Your original post said that you bought it via a trade in, implying you bought it from a dealer. In England consumer law would allow you to reject the car - return it and demand a refund - as not being of satisfactory quality. I know you say that Georgia law isn't particularly consumer-friendly, but I would think that such a major fault would be a breach of contract in any jurisdiction, entitling you to claim damages even if you can't actually reject the car. Have you therefore considered taking some legal advice to see whether you could claim against the dealer?

Also, did the dealer make any representations about the car? For example, did he say it was `in good condition' or something similar? If so, you may be able to claim damages for misrepresentation, which applies to all contracts, and doesn't need specific consumer law (I'm talking about English contract law, but US law is very similar to ours).

Since typing the above I've had a look for you, and this advice may be helpful - https://consumered.georgia.gov/ask-ed/2019-02-01/problems-used-car-discovered-after-purchase I must admit to being surprised - shocked even - about the lack of consumer protection, compared to that in the UK, but did you receive the Buyer's Guide' that seems to be mandated by law there? If not, it seems you may be able to return the car. It would probably be worth speaking to `Consumer Ed'.

I really hope you manage to get it sorted out, and do keep us updated on developments. And thanks for having the courage to tell us about it - I suspect many owners in your situation would just keep quiet, and it really helps other potential buyers to know about risks like this.

alex likes this.
  13. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Congrats! I also recently bought 2010 California as my first Ferrari. How are you enjoying it?
    Sent from my LYA-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I'm thinking you may not have read the rest of the thread ...

SLViper1 likes this.
  15. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Did they give you an estimate of how long it will take to fix and how much it will cost?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    I spent some time reading all the threads... very sorry for him. fingers crossed..

17. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    While we're waiting an update from the OP how are you enjoying yours? Can you provide some details about the car and your buying experience? As I mentioned upthread I'm currently looking for the right one, so I'm always interested to hear from other buyers.

Did / does the fear of major mechanical disasters like this worry you? Did you obtain a warranty from the seller, and if so on what terms?

18. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Actually, I just got done speaking with Steve over at Boardwalk yesterday. Some good news and some bad (but not all bad) news.

So, an update -
    First and foremost, sending the car to Steve has to have been one of the best suggestions I've followed. He has been nothing but helpful and is taking care of me. This is especially important to me as my Ferrari experience had been ruined by the state of the car and the treatment from Ferrari of Atlanta. So, with all that out of the way, here are the issues:

1.) Intake decarb, replace secondary air valves, spark plugs, and motor mounts
    2.) Both valve covers and timing cover leaking oil
    3.) Replace leaking coolant tank and cap
    4.) Replace failed rear shock assembly w. alignment
    5.) Replace worn rear tires
    6.) Replace failed battery

7.) Replace failed hood struts
    8.) Refinish all 4 wheels due to cosmetic damage and minor bends
    9.) Refinish valve covers and intake manifold

The underlined items are going to run me about $20,000 give or take a few dollars. The other non-underlined items will run another $3,000ish. This is a lot better than I assumed and, believe it or not, I am happy to know that this is all there was. That's the bad news.

The good news is the DCT is not on that list. My issue with the DCT seems to be temperature related (as I thought) and Steve's team should be able to take care of it without issue. I should get an estimate on that soon, but all the items above are the big items. Steve said the temp issue is going to be a small thing to fix. Once that is done, the car will qualify for the New Power warranty, of which I will be paying for in the next week or so.

In the end, the car is probably going to be in Dallas for about 2-3 months (maybe 4) with all these repairs. I am going to have him begin repairs on the 3/15 week and once it's done, I will be flying out there to pick it up and drive it back. Steve said he'd get some of the track folks and drivers of the area around for lunch when I got out there. --It's things like that that make a difference -- From now on I will be utilizing Boardwalk for any future work on the car. When I get a full work order, I plan to update here.

Pro Bono - the one thing I can tell you is this: It's probably something you've read 100,000 times on this site and will continue to read for years to come - get a PPI on any vehicle you're looking to purchase. In hindsight, I should've asked the dealer to take the car directly to FoA or Merlin to get a full listing of all issues with the car. It would've saved me a lot of headache. Now, luckily for me, I am still in the positive on this car. I got this car for $76,000. After all the repairs and warranty I've put into this car, I will have spent right at $100,000 which happens to be the cost of a certified California at some Ferrari dealerships (such as FoA - they have one listed for $99,900 atm). Again, probably would've saved myself a lot of headache going with their car instead of hunting for "a deal" at other dealers.

RBully10, Pro Bono and vjd3 like this.
  19. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sounds like you are in good hands. As people on here often say, the least expensive Ferrari often winds up being the most expensive Ferrari, but it seems like you will be in a solid car with a year's warranty and some peace of mind, to boot.

w0rtw0rt likes this.
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Make sure to get some good restaurant recommendations from Steve. He knows all the good places! I have my fingers crossed for you. Hoping for a positive outcome...T

21. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    I’m glad to hear it’s not the DCT. The other things on the list are almost to be expected, although not all at once. If you didn’t have the issue with the trans, you may not have even thought to get most of those other things done.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    I spent around 3 months, saw about 10 California in person to finally get this one. First advice I got from experienced buyer was "don't rush to buy, you will get the right one when time comes"

Second, I wanted to trade privately instead of going thru dealers (official Ferrari dealer didn't have California), and talking directly to the owner helped me to understand the condition much better than seeing cars in dealer shop. Dealers usually will make the car look good at least from its appearance.

The details on the car sometimes really tell you story about how the owner had treated her (bad examples are like: not well maintained interior, engine paint is almost gone, too many scratches on the body, services are done by unofficial dealer etc.). You will get some sort of sense of good/bad condition when you see enough cars.

Third, pre-purchase inspection is crucial.

The one I got is from a seller who is about to move out of town, he drove the car mostly in comfort mode and always went to official dealer for annual service. His new power warrenty is expiring in next month.

So far I haven't had any issue... I have booked annual service next week.

Pro Bono likes this.
  23. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    So, it's been a while. I always hate the posts that pop in, talk a lot, then suddenly disappear, so I wanted to provide an update.

I should be getting my car back in a couple weeks! It's been about 7 months since I have driven her. However, the wait has been worth it. A couple of updates to what I had to get done to the car:

1.) Full decarb of intake and exhaust
    2.) Motor mount replace
    3.) New gasket and seals (leak fixed)
    4.) Rear shock assembly replacement
    5.) New tires and alignment
    6.) Front hood struts replaced
    7.) Brand new battery (and tender)
    8.) Refinished all 4 wheels (scratches from whatever horrible person used to own this car)
    9.) Refinished intake during the above work

On top of all that, I was able to get the car warrantied under the New Power warranty. Then, once the warranty was established, with all the luck in the world on my side, the DCT does what DCTs in 2010-2013 California's do - the car loses its even gears. However, now the DCT can be replaced under the warranty. This is what I am currently waiting on now.

While they replace the transmission, I purchased a new Armytrix exhaust and am having them powder coat the wheels in a slate gray. All in all, I should be getting the car back soon after this crazy adventure. Whoever owned the car previously did not love it as I do. They wouldn't put the time, money, and effort into fixing it. It's a shame it turned out that way but it definitely "married me to the car".

In the end, I have spent as much as I would've on a certified, warrantied California. Friends, if you are shopping for a used Ferrari, please make sure you're getting it inspected by a trained professional. It will save you so much time and money.

Now, to prepare to enjoy what I purchased last November.

alex likes this.
  24. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    That's a hell of a lot of work. Can I ask what your net spend will have been when you get it back?

25. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Great to hear from you agian. And very glad that finally been sorted. Happy for you!