why centerlock adaptors are so expensive? | FerrariChat

why centerlock adaptors are so expensive?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Dec 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

as I see it, they are just 4 pieces of CNC machined adaptors/flange.

Why they are selling like $4000? that's as much as 4 bbs wheels.

janmante likes this.
  2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's not completely clear to me but that eBay advert looks like a set of OEM Challenge wheels and aftermarket bolt-on adapters. Adapters carry an unsprung weight penalty, not a saving like the originals, and they also affect wheel offset.

The original Ferrari parts replace the entire stub axle, hub, bearing, and sensor assembly.

janmante likes this.
  4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yes, but this is what OP referred to with "adapters". If you want OEM you have to get Ferrari 430 Challenge (race car) uprights etc. None of the 430 family street cars came with center lock wheels.

janmante likes this.
  5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ok, my question is : why is the adaptors so expensive?

they are just machined like wheel flanges. in my opinion they should be around a few hundred each so four corners would be like $1000. $4000? wow.

I talked to my local machinist who supplied lots of macau gp parts so I assume their parts are quality parts. I asked them if i give you an adaptor can you make an identical one, they say yea and the price is US $180 each.

janmante likes this.
  6. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Ask the supplier and maybe there's a good reason.

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It includes more than just the adapters: Ferrari 360-430 Centerlock Conversion Kit ONLY | Ferrari 360

4 OEM wheel nuts, center nut tool, 4 pins, 4 OEM caps - did you try price out those items included in the $4k kit?

janmante likes this.
  8. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Design
    Engineering
    Materials
    Production time
    Equipment costs (Have you priced a Haas CNC mill lately?)
    Labor (including Obamacare)
    Supply and demand
    .. plus the Ferrari privilege tax.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I am not aware of any product or service sold for a price based on costs. Products and services are sold based on what the market will pay. Production costs only determine if it is worthwhile to even bother.

Do you really think it costs $700 to make an I Phone?

10. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto

This. To copy is definitely cheaper and that's the mentality the world is going through. Lots of kickstarter failed cause once they looking for funds, someone else took the idea and have it manufactured in China before the original guy with the design comes up with the fund to manufacture them.

KC360 FL and janmante like this.
  11. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Haven't you heard of the Ferrari tax?

Let's be honest, all the overhead to create wheel adapters does not equate to aforementioned. It's the fact that it's a low volume vehicle with an owners group that has a healthy amount of disposable income.

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    It's not to cover overhead. It's to make profit so it is worthwhile to do it. Like you said, low volume. Is it worth it to make $100 profit per kit if you can only sell 10 units? I can think of better things to do with my time. Now if you can sell 10,000 units, the $100 profit per unit, might be worthwhile.

janmante likes this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

that makes sense.

janmante likes this.
  14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Its really not much of a design. I can design a different shape that'll serve perfectly the same purpose with the same look from the outside.

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    because that's what the market will bear

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    OK, with you - wasn't sure if the OP meant originals. I can have a set of billet 7075 adapters designed and machined for less than $1000.

RifeDriver is on the money here.

18. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Get your guy to make some, sell them for $1700 a set.

janmante likes this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    But be sure you do the engineering, the forces are high, and don't forget the potential liability so you need insurance, business license, etc. Honestly, if it is so easy to make that much selling these I suggest you jump right into the market. If you won't just jump in, the normal profit isn't high enough to offset the opportunity cost at your price point. Pretty basic economics.

sherrillt and one4torque like this.
  20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how usually are these things tested?

I can use my own car to test it on the track but that's unscientific.

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are a broad range of mechanical analysis packages: thermal, stress, strain, shock, etc. You start by defining bounding conditions and running analysis. You refine the choices and design to meet the design criteria. THEN comes some mechanical testing to validate that your calculations are correct (just like crash testing cars). The process isn't cheap but it is the only way to manage liability.

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't think product liability is as big a deal in China vs. the USA.

23. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    $1000 for the center lock bits, $3000 for the yellow caps with the horsey on them?

janmante likes this.
  24. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    I just bought the last set of new center lock adaptors and wheels in the USA !
    I am interested in getting the 5 fixing bolts for each wheel made in TITAINIUM
    ACER racing is willing to make ONE set, 20 in titanium for $900 WE enquired IF the price could be reduced if additional were ordered at the same time ?

Is anyone w/ a set of the wheels interested in a set ? PLs PM mayhaps we could do a sort of group buy ?
    I already have a set of the ACER racing titanium lug bolts for OEM 5 bolt wheels they are superlative quality and very light saving about 6 Lbs ! ( total )
    Photo" a rusty set , ( not mine ! ) of the adaptor bolts we want to have made in Ti ! ( sorry only photo i could find ! ) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Did you get there display set. If so was looking at that one about a year ago. But going a different route

janmante likes this.