Coupe OR Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Coupe OR Spider

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Tommy Boy, Dec 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    It depends. Which region are you located?

2. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I knew about the big VAT, but 150% tax on the car itself is very punitive. Average Ferrari buyer in Europe must have much higher wealth than in US.

Would explain why demand for SF-90 is not dented in Europe post Covid. In US, despite dealers bragging, demand is quasi evaporated in places. The large pool of customers for top of the line Ferrari considerably smaller now - in part because many finance the purchase. Lots of medium sized businesses crushed by Covid. Dealers act angry but are probably happy not to get new allocations for a while.

3. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My question is more for general discussion than region dependent (so not pertaining to me necessarily). I was only offering my personal angle - that I am in the market for the car - as the rationale for starting the thread. I am in the US.

ChadR likes this.
  4. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    My dealer had 19 orders in for the Coupe, 4 of which ended up switching their allocation to the Spider on its unveil. Interestingly, just for a comparative example, the 812 GTS is supposed to have been “somewhat” limited yet they delivered 40 of them. If the SF90 Coupe is built in roughly half the numbers of 812 GTS you would think it has a strong chance of retaining value over time. However, using that same example on the contrary, the 812 is supposed to be the last V12 ending in 2023 with the special version (TDF/GTO) variant that will come likely in both Coupe and GTS variants. That’s a big plus it has going for it. In addition, it appears that you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and get an SF90 allocation without previous purchases. That does not give credence to a car that is over subscribed or in high demand. One thing for certain SF90 Coupes and Spiders will depreciate and depreciation in the half a million dollar plus space converting percentages to dollars becomes a decent amount. The SVJ comparison earlier is an interesting one, but be mindful, that is a variant of a car that has essentially been around since 2012 model year, enhanced over the years with underlying the same technology. The SF90 is cutting edge tech relatively speaking. So many ways to look at the SF90’s and speculate.

Another thing to consider will be the mid engine V6 Twin Turbo Hybrid coming to replace the F8. I would speculate that car will produce in the neighborhood of 800 bhp with two less batteries than the SF90 with all the power going to the rear wheels possibly to differentiate it from AWD of the SF90. That car could either buffer the SF90 or impact it. If should be available as a 2023 model possibly.

I have gone ahead and went straight for the SF90 Spider as I agree with a comment or two previously that the C pillar/rear window area design on the Coupe just looks off to me. It could be the two-tone roof adding to its visual odd breakup. Visually, from the profile, the Coupe and Spider look nearly identical which is a credit to the designers. Beauty and design is subjective. I wholeheartedly agree, with those commenting to get the one that speaks to you the most. If your not a Spider person, why spend the 10% more to have it.

Senna1994 likes this.
  5. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you for all that. Insightful and very helpful.

I am probably going with the Spider because I also prefer its looks. And I think there is a chance it will be the more rare variant (especially given the production issues).

I assume you're in Europe because I don't know any dealers in the US who have delivered 40 812 GTS's.

BTW - I agree 100% with the C-pillar comment. The lines of the Spider from every angle are IMO flawless.

D11 and bwshihtzu like this.
  6. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010

I am not, I’m in the US. Perhaps I could have heard incorrectly on the 812 GTS numbers, as it did seem high, but I’m certain he said 40.

7. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Then consider parts of Asia. In Thailand, we pay 3.8 times the ex-factory price. That includes taxes and VAT!!!

of2worlds likes this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    And yet you create some of the most interesting and tasteful specs on Fchat :)

of2worlds likes this.
  9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Maybe more a case of "which is why", due to the desire to create something extra special.

On topic, I'm going for a 2022 Spider and have a good 12-months to work something special. Seems to wear dark metallics nicely, but I'm still looking for inspiration.

10. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Question - my dealer made mention when I commented that I’m estimating $100k-125k perhaps for options to gauge my price point. He commented, that would be a relatively lower spec’d SF90 from what they have put in which I found odd. He said $150k is more average with closer to $200k in options being high/very nicely equipped.
    I’m thinking BS as this is either a sales tactic to get me to spend more on options when I spec my Spider or perhaps the very few he has been involved in submitting went Asseto Fiorano Package, an expensive color, and maybe even colored CF as I don’t see how most people spec the car between $150k-$200k in options. Any feedback here from others, especially those who have submitted a Coupe already or are planning to with a Coupe or Spider?

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have not submitted specs for Spider but planning on AF, livery, colored carbon - still don't see how it gets to $150K.

D11 and of2worlds like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which color for the paint choice and the livery are you considering? There are so many choices it can be overwhelming when deciding...

13. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am mostly Rosso Corsa on mid-engines, but not on this one - don't quite know why - probably because the unique AF stripe detracts from appeal of RC.

What do you like?

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think for the convertible; since that version will be something special the paint should reflect the fun side as the coupe is a more serious proposition. One classic color that continues to be popular is Rosso Fiorano. For the inside Terra Bruciata but with black for the dash and steering wheel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Considering Biano Italia versus Biaco Fuji as possibilities for my Spider with red leather or alcantara on the seats for a pop of color when the top is down. No AF, but all the exterior CF.

Anyone know the price and difference between the two whites and if I’m in the ballpark below?
    Avus - standard non metallic white
    Italia - metallic pearl white
    Fuji - triple layer white, also pearlescent.

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

So the bianco pearl colors appear to have changed. The Bianco Italia is now more 'creamy' ( off white looking) looking than the Bianco Fuji. The Bianco Fuji is still pearl but a brighter pure white color now. There was a Bianco Fuji Pista Spider in the new BF paint shade that was shown in the Pista Spider thread here recently.
    The pearl whites are about $32k but you didn't mention what part of the world you are located in.
    Bianco Avus doesn't appear to have changed at all as a non-metallic white.
    There is also 'Bianco King' which is a tailor made white; their brightest white. Not sure if it could be done as an Atelier color choice. It is a very nice pure white!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you. US based.
    Looks like there is a Bianco Cervino now too, which appears whiter than Avus, and considered a special color.

This is where I struggle somewhat with an expensive white color with the SF90 or in general - does the secondary market view it has “an expensive and unique” shade of white OR does the market view it simply as “just another white” no different that Bianco Avus?

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would say both ways. Some appreciate a special paint color but for others it's just another shade of white. Some of the pearl or tri strato paint colors seem to give you more bang for your buck. The reds especially have some deep rich paint shades that show lots of depth to them. Some other colors just look too close to a standard paint.
    USA pricing is a lot more acceptable than some foreign markets with extremely punishing tax structures...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    #44 sh11783, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    There is a lot of debate on the board on which car to go with, Coupe or Spider, from different perspectives most of which boil down to performance, comfort and aesthetics. I for one am struggling with this as well - yes, I know it is a high class problem. For now, I have an order in for the SF90 Stradale. I have read a lot said about how the AF pack is a must and without it the SF90 is more GT than supercar and will depreciate faster, the AF isn't practical unless you garage it at the track because you don't have the lifter and is too hard for the road, that the SF90 Spider makes no sense with the AF pack because of all the blubber in it to start with (eg 100kg more weight vs the Stradale) and that the SF90 Spider is the only car to own because of its aesthetic beauty, eg. the coupe has more awkward roof lines, and everything in between. As a general rule, it is hard to form a view as to whether the Coupe or Spider is the way to go based on what has been said on the forum not because the views aren't insightful but because they are qualitative and subject to interpretation and the lens of the members who made the comments.

All I can add to this is that based on my own homework the performance differences between the cars are very narrow (in the vast majority of use cases). Consider the following:

Fiorano track times:
    SF90 Stradale AF 78.7secs (according to Car and Driver, Ferrari said the AF improves Fiorano lap times by 0.3 seconds, maybe there are some gains to be had with all carbon including the wheels)
    SF90 Stradale 79secs (Source: Ferrari)
    SF90 Spider 79.5secs (Source: Ferrari)

Yes you will be in pole position and post the best 1/4 mile times at the strip if you have the SF90 Stradale AF but no you wont be humiliated (competitive racing excluded) even if you drive the SF90 Spider let alone on the street. To me, the performance gains are not the reason for the vast majority of owners to pick one version or another but instead the experience you want from the car. If its to race on the track, look badass and tap the full potential of the platform at any cost then go with the Stradale AF, if its to own the fastest stock road car in the world which is as sublime as a GT Supercar as it is as an occasional track car go with the Stradale and if its to pose in an incredibly capable mobile Picasso go with the Spider - because as much as Ferrari tries to make the case about driving emotion the open top just doesn't make up for the lack of sound and thrills at the limit of the V12s or NA V8s of old (and yes I have owned those cars). As for me I am not sure what I want because I see this car through all of these lenses. Thankfully, I don't have an allocation yet and as always appreciate the views of members who have driven these cars as I try to answer the Coupe or Spider debate for myself.

JJ77 and of2worlds like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A further consideration in the coupe vs spider question is timing. The coupe has arrived but no sign of the spider for some time into the future.
    To be clear this is not a track car even though it will provide lots of speed on track. Rather this is a big bold street car and for that the spider makes a more versatile ride. Forget the AF package and simply get the basic spider version. Then spend the AF money on a spectacular paint color of your choosing and enjoy the uncompromised ride quality. That is where the true appeal of the spider resides. For the track side Ferrari has the 488 GT Modificata that doesn't have the compromises of a street Ferrari with all those government rules built into it. Horses for courses; it is just that simple especially if you can throw the Pista into the mix.

21. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Personal preference of course and I am by know means trying to sway someone in one way or the other, but per the above post, these were my thoughts...

I tend to lean more towards Coupes as I prefer the roof line aesthetics, visible engine compartment. Visually though, I am firmly in the camp that this is the first car that the Spider looks better with the roof up than the Coupe. I just can’t pinpoint it, but the C pillar and rear window area of the coupe just looks off to me. The roof painted black may be adding to the styling miscue for me, but it’s still there when I see a coupe with the non black roof. Engine compartment visibility is a non factor that your not giving up on the Spider for the first time in an F car in quite some time (16M may be the last most recent). Top down, this thing is drop dead gorgeous. Without the V12 sound, I agree, you don’t have the same engine note “wow factor”, but it still tends to enhance the driving experience with the open top.

Desirability - only time will tell. So use history as a guide. Name one Ferrari car that is offered in both Coupe and Spider where the Coupe is more desirable based on values? (I understand the caveat that the Spiders base price is ~10% more). I don’t know the old cars well, but I would be willing to bet if they offered a TDF in the Spider/GTS like they will surely do with the 812 VS GTS it would be more sought after. 16M/Scud, Speciale Aperta/Speciale, Pista Spider/Pista, LaF Aperta/LaF, etc. Anyone allocated a Pista Spider that passed and said “no, I want the coupe”? Point hear is not to say always buy the Spider, more so in this case for you trying to decide - if you love the AF but think it contradicts the attributes of it in a Spider and will be less valuable/desirable - I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that you’ll be just fine with an AF Spider based on the above love of hardcore F track variants in Spider form.

Track use - All my friends that track cars, non of them take $500K+ cars like this to the track. I don’t know him personally, but The Epic Games founder who just bought into Virginia International Raceway tracks some expensive toys (Senna, P1, etc.) so I hear. I don’t know how many 9 or 10 figure wealth individuals are on this forum like that guy, but how many of you are buying the AF for the specific purpose of tracking the car? Probably very few, but I do agree with your logic, perhaps the AF does make more sense in the Coupe if you are that serious and enjoy track driving. Then there is likely some who just prefer the visual additions of the carbon wing, carbon doors, and do not value the loss of a front lift or Bumpy Road Mode. There are some who just love the stripe and associate it as a distinguishing characteristic of the car. Again - all personal preference, but I don’t think AF will be valued as superior in the secondary market and a non AF car will be undesirable. I liken it in some regards to the HS package (Cali T) or the HGTE package (599 GTB) as it’s the only time Ferrari has offered a production series car with an upgrade/stiffer suspension option to enhance the handling characteristics.

Abilities - if you are good enough of a track driver that the 100kg of weight and slight impact of the chassis rigidity being an issue, I tip my cap to you, as that’s a hell of a skill level as a driver you are. I think for the other 99% of us, those factors are less of a decision maker and will likely not be an impactful item in the secondary market when you move on from your SF90 Coupe or Spider.

I was considering the AF and stripe, but am just getting gun shy as it adds $91K in the US before any other options to the price. If it included all of the exterior carbon and even perhaps the racing seats I would see some value, but all the other options are still a la carte which means an AF, Stripe, Exterior CF, Racing Seats, Interior CF car is easily $200K+ in options. My heart says yes, but my head says no.

At the end of the day, make the choice easy - get the one that speaks to YOU the most. The rest won’t matter.

ScrappyB, Caeruleus11, Ltfor3 and 3 others like this.
  22. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Excellent - thank you.

D11 likes this.
  23. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    D11- so well written and thought out. Truly appreciate it. I followed your exact advice and ended up with the spider, AF and stripe. I know it doesn’t make “sense” in some ways, but I think j it just looks the way I like and think the car should look given how special it is under the hoods.

D11 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    My options came in over 150 and I got most of the exterior carbon, af, no stripe, Daytona Seats, some interior carbon and hifi. Really wanted the carbon rims but it’s just getting way outta hand for me

Ltfor3, D11 and of2worlds like this.
  25. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Quick update, my dealer said he’s now at 21 Coupes ordered and 20 Spiders with the expectation that they will eventually fill all of the allocations. Still open and taking orders. Most have not been spec’d yet, 2 Coupe’s have arrived, a few are in build process. Spiders are still quite a ways out into next year.
    1. Those on this forum who don’t care for the car or the price seem to be spreading the misconception that the car is easily available to anyone and not in high demand. That does not seem to be the case in the US at all. Is it 812 VS sought after - NO, certainly not, but it’s not low demand Lusso either, far from it.
    2. First US car to apparently trade hands in Florida, the buyer paid a rumored $130,000 over sticker.
    3. Dealers really want you to spec up the car, yet I’ve heard of a Stradale coming in with only 4-5 options at under $550,000 and then others clicking a lot of boxes with their cars coming in at ~$700K. Range of builds/prices is as usual, all over the spectrum.

Take this for nothing more than my guesstimate. I think this car “may” look a little like the Pista market from a specification standpoint.
    Base car, minimal options, no CF - may be a tougher secondary market sell down the road, just like sub $400K Pista’s.
    High spec car, tons of CF, AF, Stripe, special paint - eventually trade below MSRP just like super high spec’d Pista’s.
    Spec’s in that sweet spot, decent amount of CF, yet not crazy over the top could sell in a few years around MSRP or slightly below relative to a super high spec.

Who knows, just a thought.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and Ltfor3 like this.