550 Groaning sound from passenger side rear when driving slowly | FerrariChat

550 Groaning sound from passenger side rear when driving slowly

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Terence, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terence

Terence Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Seoul, South Korea
    Full Name:
    Terence Lim
    I have a 2002 550. It started making a strange groaning sound from the passenger side rear wheel area when driving at very low speed. And the sound dissipates as the car picks up the speed. It is difficult to pinpoint where the sound is coming from although it sounds coming from the right rear wheel area. You can hear it better with the passenger side window rolled down. The odd thing is that it doesn't make the sound all the time even at low speed. What I noticed is that the groaning sound starts at a very low speed moving moderate uphill. And the sound continues for a while at a low speed even after the uphill. Then, it suddenly goes completely silent. My engineer suspected a couple of candidates. He added additive into the differential gear box. It didn't solve the problem. He examined and tightened shafts. The sound still didn't go away. I suspect a failed wheel bearing or some issue with brake pad. Is there anyone with a similar problem?

2. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi Terence,

My 550 made the same light groaning noise a few years ago and it is getting loud nowadays when going at high speed. My mech said it is the differential that needs replacing. Also tried adding additive but didn't solve the problem.

I am thinking of getting it replaced. Anyone here has the tightening torque specs for the replacement of the differential? Appreciate your kind assistance.

Regards

3. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Have you tried driving in a circle to see if the noise changes at all or becomes more constant? Maybe try doing figure 8's in a parking lot somewhere.
    In a previous car I had wheel bearing issues and it would only make a groaning noise during turning because of the added force.

F456M and EastMemphis like this.
  4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Does anyone else find this hilarious ? Of course a Ferrari us unhappy being driven to slowly.

Sorry Terrence I just couldn't help myself... good luck in finding the cause of this.

m

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine have been a bit like that for the last half year too, but it is just there some times. Some days you can’t hear anything. I don’t understand why. My car has 157.000 kms. now. Can it have something to do with the anti-slip function in the differential? It comes for every rotation of the wheel/tire, not the rpms. of the engine. My gearbox oil looks as if it came out of a new bottle of oil. Do the transaxle oil use to get black? We decided not to replace it when I checked it at a workshop close by, but it has more kms. than the shift interval... Can it become condensation (water) in the oil from the hot/cold cycles and that make the lubrication more weak and less efficient? The level was also slightly over max on the dip stick. I want to fix this!!

7. Terence

Terence Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Seoul, South Korea
    Full Name:
    Terence Lim
    The right rear wheel area makes a groaning noise only when the car is driven slowly and in most cases straight. It doesn't get worse or doesn't make a noise when turning. One thing I noticed is that a groaning noise comes out after driving uphill slowly in a traffic or out of the winding pathway of the underground parking lot. The noise comes with the rear wheel rotation. My car has 35,000 kms on it. I will check the wheel bearing and axle oil. Thanks for the tip.

F456M likes this.
  8. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Check both rear wheels, with the wheels of the ground. (2 post lift , or 2 heavy duty jacks with stands)
    And if all is secure (be sure!!!), and you are brave enough, start the car to let the engine do the wheel spinning.
    See if you can notice differences between the left and right wheel that way. Or hear where the sound comes from, middle right of far right.
    Often a car with a wheel bearing that is on its way out, will spin more easily than a good bearing (resistance of the internal bearing grease).

And after using 1st gear, set the car into neutral, and see if the right wheel stops at around the same time as the left while slowly applying the hand brake.

This way you have more info we can discuss about.

9. Terence

Terence Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Seoul, South Korea
    Full Name:
    Terence Lim
    Thank you, Robbe. I will ask my engineer to check it and get back to you. I am not brave enough to try it myself :).

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When I do this on my car on jack stands, the wheels turn slowly even in neutral. I need to disable the ASR in order to stop the engine from «cutting off» even in neutral, so without traction control on, the engine run as it should and the wheels turn a bit slower than in gear. This is said to me to be normal. Same for a propeller on a boat... Normally on a car, when you turn one wheel around in the air while the engine is off, the one on the opposite side turn the other direction. On mine, the other wheels turn the same direction. I have never really understood why...!? Anyone here know why? Thanks!

11. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Yes, when a car has a Limited Slip Differential, the wheel will turn in the same direction. This is normal for your car.
    (cars without an LSD have wheels turn in opposite direction when one is turned).

F456M likes this.
  12. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    #12 Salami, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Gosh, I dunno how much a rear diff replacement would cost, but I’d sure hate to do that and then find out it was a wheel bearing.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If there is a bad wheel bearing, one should think there would be play in it when you shake it in and out? Or is it normal not to feel any play even if it is bad...? Is it one bearing or two cone bearings? Two cone bearings use to be able to tighten at the center bolt to put more tention to them. Is thet the matter? Anyone knows?

thanks,
    Erik

14. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    There shouldn't be any play when shaking the wheel, but it might not be reliable because bad ball joints would also have the same affect when shaking. I can't think of a simple test without the wheels being under some kind of load.

F456M likes this.
  15. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Yes this ^^^^ it’s true that many times you can locate a bad bearing through play, tugging, turning, listening. But what I’ve found is that this is hardly a definitive method, and many an experienced mechanic has misdiagnosed things because the unjointed/wheel bearing passed the tug test.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #16 darth550, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    My last one did that but only when I lifted at higher revs, and it seemed to be in unison with the shock travel (at the bottom). No one could ever figure it out and I couldn't hear it from my side.

You can hear it in this video.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine is not like that. It is more like a little sound for each revolution of the wheel.

18. Terence

Terence Rookie

May 13, 2015
    Seoul, South Korea
    Full Name:
    Terence Lim
    The groaning noise is similar to a low base sound due to insufficient lubrication for each revolution of the wheel.