Drag Race: Modded Pista Spyder vs modded F8 | FerrariChat

Drag Race: Modded Pista Spyder vs modded F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Divexxtreme, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Interesting. I imagine a Pista Coupe with the same mods would have made for a much closer race.

VAF84 likes this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #2 Coincid, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Conclusion - In a 1/4 mile race, the Pista is not as fast as the F8 but very close. The 2 cars share 98.635% of the same DNA. The differences consist of suspension alignment and set up calibration. Virtually all derived from the ECU.

Chizz likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Pista has more downforce as well I would imagine. This would slow it down a bit in a drag race.

nmcclure and Art138 like this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Puzzled why many complained that the STO has the same engine as the Performante eventhough there are a myriad of positive changes everywhere else. The Pista- same engine as F8. Outside of some cosmetic differences, modest increase in downforce and slightly less weight, little dissent on the price premium between the 2 cars.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    But Ferrari was more clever since the more expensive Pista was introduced before the F8 and not the other way round. The F8 is a kind of recycled Pista, which is completely consistent with a lower price. Had they done it the other way round the Pista would have struggled to justify its price, but we have to remember the Pista was unveiled three years ago.

Chizz, MANDALAY and Coincid like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Makes sense that the F8 is faster in a straight line. Less aero, less drag.

Chizz and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not only that. The R888R tyres give LESS traction than MPSS and PZ4 when not properly heated up. Below 45-50 C the street tyres have the advantage most of the time. Would have made more sense if they ran the same tyre. Would be fun to see what would happen if he swapped them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They are running on a prepped surface so the R888 should he an advantage off the line. I didn't notice more wheelspin from one car over another.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The “Pista not worth it” comment interesting. Brooks races a lot of high end cars, albeit drag strip vs track. Wonder if his opinion would change if on a circuit.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When the owned car does not meet expectations, the excuses flow forth. Now the R888s are a disadvantage on a prepped track in a 1/4 mile drag. Other times, it was cited as an unfair advantage. All depends upon where the bias exists. The 888 are a distinct advantage in a 1/4 race since motional friction is decreased after launch while spin at launch would be a theoretically disadvantage, the stickiness of the track ameliorates that fact.

On a regular road surface in a 0-60 race, the Toyos would result in a slower time due to wheelspin upon launch.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It probably would. Currently the Pista is still faster than the 765LT on both Virginia Raceway and Hockenheim. The McLaren on Trofeo R. A well dialed Pista is a very nice track car. Wonder if the McLaren have issues putting all that power down.
    To say the Pista is not worth the money because of drag times is ridiculous.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #12 Il Co-Pilota, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    You are making assumptions. I have run the R888R and like the Cup 2 on a Pista, have found that they need heat to shine. I also did not state categorically that it was the cause, just that it might be and that it would be interesting to see.
    I have previously been very up front on not recommending Cup 2 tyres on cars that are not tracked. I have over 40k km on Cup 2's between the 488 and Pista, and they are just what I run because I track.
    As you may also remember I have my Pista but also an F8 on order. I don't give a rats ass about which is faster in a drag race - I know which is faster on a track. The Pista will wipe the floor with the F8, just like it does with the 488. Uf you had tracked them all, you'd know.
    So it's simple. My personal experience is why I know that a track shoe is not always better.

tekaefixe likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Your point about the prepped track is very valid. And the R888R could be better. Just saying it's not an open and shut case. It would be fun to see if a change would have an effect.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I can tell you right now there is zero chance the Pista will be anywhere close to a 765 on any track. One of the reasons I sold my Pista is because of how it did on a track. I was not overly impressed with the brakes. The handling was decenton Cup2s. Speed in and out of turns is nowhere close to the Mac. Not to mention the the turbo lag from 3rd to 4th which I also feel in my challenge car. Pretty cool being able to compare back to back all of these cars.

mdrums, JJ77, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The only point of reference I can find on the 765 in relation to the Pista, is Christian Gebhardt's time on Hockenheim. There it was .30 seconds slower. The Pista ran Cup 2 R and the 765 Trofeo R.
    The power and tech advancement clearly is in favour of the 765, and I do think it will be faster. But so far I have not seen it. I dout I will get behind the wheel of a 765 anytime soon, so I can just look at times set by pro drivers and track enthusiasts like you.
    I have no illusions, I do expect it to be faster, it's just interesting to see it hang on. As you knkw, the day, the driver and a slew of other things matter too.

It may come across as if I don't like it at all. That is actually not the case, nor is it for the F8. I respect it for what it is, McLaren is just not really my thing in general.

Will be looking forward to hear how your time with the 765 will be moving forward.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL4XiAcpedL/?igshid=mn5dsv04vxnk

Coincid likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I really like watching Brooks videos. I think he does a great job with his channel but his comment about not wanting Pista over F8 was the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a while.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Give it some time and there will be more feedback from others as well as track times. For me, it is the best all around sports car I've ever owned.

Boomhauer and Coincid like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Some photos of your 765 would be appreciated.

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Mclaren became my thing with the introduction of the 765.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Stunning.Same as mine arriving in a couple of weeks. Did you get the Sennas?

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    mdrums and Cigarzman like this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Beautiful. Same interior but with the P1 seats. Looks amazing.

Gh21631 likes this.
  25. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Allright guys, that's it. The next time I take my Pista to the drag strip (which will be never), I'm gonna make sure that I have enough mods on it that it will beat an F8. I mean, we all know that Ferrari cut its teeth on drag racing in the sixties during the muscle car boom. It seems to me that "Big Daddy" Don Garlits actually raced for the Scuderia when he was in his hey day. Ferrari only went to F1 and Le Mans after it grew bored dominating the Winternationals. I think they sold all their technology to John Force when he was just starting off.

Also, you wanna know the first thing I do when I get the chance? I'm taking all that clunky body work off my Pista, including the S-Duct, and replacing it with F8 parts so I can MAYBE finally beat the F8 at the strip. Brooks nailed it: who in their right might would spend all that money on a Pista for drag racing? Come to think of it, I'm gonna sell my Pista and take about a 1/4 of its sale price and build up a dang Camaro with a big block and nitrous. Then I'll show that pesky F8 who's boss.

SoCal to az likes this.