Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 | FerrariChat

Mercedes 300SEL 6.3

Discussion in 'Other German' started by donv, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    New addition... I bought this car on BaT last week with a partner. The interior is a time capsule! Just amazing. Runs and shifts great as well-- we drove it back to Portland from the Canadian border last week and put more miles on it in the process than it had in the last 20 years.

Today I took it to my vintage Mercedes guy to take care of a few minor things-- he drove it and said it drove exactly like a brand new 6.3, which is sort of amazing...

Looks nice next to my 3.5 Coupe. They aren't quite the same color-- Coupe is Tunis Beige, while 6.3 is Sand Beige.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Does this model have the air shocks?

Nice looking, BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, it does-- and it is fantastic. It glides over small bumps and yet has no floaty feel at all. It's very well controlled and firm. The small bumps and road harshness are just not there.

We'll see if the maintenance horror stories are true. My very experienced 6.3/600 mechanic says they are not. This car needed one valve rebuilt after sitting for almost 20 years, and the rest of it functions just fine. I think they rebuilt another valve around 1992.

The BaT ad shows the interior, which is just stunning. The back seat looks like no one has ever sat back there, and the whole interior presents as almost new. My mechanic looked at it and said "obviously the seats have been redyed" and then he looked closer and said "wait a minute, there is no dye on the stitching... these seats haven't been redyed!"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-mercedes-benz-300sel-6-3-9/

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It does need new tires, though... I'm thinking XWXs, although I have Vredestein Sprint Classics on the Coupe, and they are a fine tire. XWX isn't that much more, and I think would be better with the more sporting nature of the 6.3.

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is a great car to have. So glad you got it.

6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Great car, congrats..........................

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks! Car was in your area for at least 30 years. Most of that time, tucked away in a garage surrounded by stuff.

max930 likes this.
  8. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    Very nice. I have a couple of 6.9s and want to add a 6.3 at some point.

9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I have the dealer's website bookmarked. The newest Mercedes I want is another 1991 500SL. I had my mothers, but gave it to my brother. He sold it. Shouldn't have given it to him...........................

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Very nice.

Although the coupe is gorgeous!

Matt

albert328gts and Texas Forever like this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Be sure to replace the fuel filter frequently. You have to remove the battery to get to it on the 6.3

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They have another 6.3, probably waiting for better market conditions. My car was part of a 2-car purchase they did from the same garage, both 6.3s.

13. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    What color combo is the other 6.3 they have?

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I know the exterior is silver, but that's all I know about it. Pulled from the same garage.

15. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    Thanks, I’d love a silver one if it’s in similar condition to the one you purchased. Would you mind passing along the shops information?

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    http://silverarrowcars.com

17. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    Thank you, I’ll check in with them.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would be interested in hearing what you find out, and if you go further, what the car is like.

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Don,

Congratulations. That is a real Mercedes and it has a cult following.

Best saloon from that era.

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks! I agree.

ralfabco likes this.
  21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is the car which was pulled out of the same garage as my 6.3:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mercedes-benz-300sel-6-3-9/

I have to say, I really love the 6.3. And mine just keeps turning out to be better than we expected. It hasn't been cheap, and has had some issues as we've gotten her going again, but overall it has just been a fantastic car. I really want to do a drive together with my 365GT... the two are remarkably comparable. Both had a claim to being the fastest four door (6.3) and four seat (365GT) cars in the world at the time. I think the 6.3 might actually beat the 365GT off the line, but I think about 100 mph, the 365GT would take the lead and never look back. It would be fun to try.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awesome car. friends father had one new back in the day and ive always liked it since. best mb sedan of all time

23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Don, just spotted this thread - congrats on the great 6.3 find! That brings back a lot of memories; my dad had a 1972 300 SEL 4.5 in the same colours, Sand Beige over natural interior - identical car but for the engine (but of course the bigger 6.3 had much more character). Dad was a small town doctor in Manitoba, drove it year round for 8 years. When he wanted to trade it in the Mercedes dealer offered him $5K, and even though I was still in university I said "Hell, I'LL give your $5K for it". I drove it for 4 years, then had the body restored.

When I went to sell it the following year, I'd tell people about the body restoration and repaint, and they'd all ask "And when did you have the interior restored?" but it was all original, never touched - looked like new after 12 years and 125,000 miles. I sold it in 1984 for $11K, so about broke even on it for my purchase price, running costs and restoration costs. It was an incredible car, I'd love to drive one again.

Cheers,
    Gordon

24. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Don, who is your vintage M-B guy? ...and, what does he work on? Mid-80s 190 Cosworth? There's a 190 guy in Vancouver, WA...but, alternatives are always good to know about.

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mike Burback at Burback Motors. He does pretty much all Mercedes from the early 1950s cars through 2000s, although I think his sweet spot is 1965-1985 or so-- and he services quite a few 600s and 6.3s. He also does a few other German cars (I took my 75 911S to him for it's annual service this year), and he has a nice collection of American cars from the 1930s and 40s, so he's very good on that sort of thing as well.

He does like to fix things correctly, so be aware of that. In other words, he prefers not to take the cheapo way out, but rather to do it right, with quality parts, and commensurate costs. There are other guys in town who are cheaper, but I would argue none better.