What's For Dinner? | Page 658 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Did beef dip at White Spot last night. Making cheeseburgers at home tonight. Feel like a rare hamburger and can't get it at a restaurant here. So I'll make it myself. Get to try out the gas range.

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    It was excellent....still kinda fatted out from the sablefish so I need like fat free salad and soup for a couple days.....

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    BrettC and NbyNW like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Getting my taste buds in shape for summer. And, clearing the fridge a little as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ramen noodles. Fish sauce. Chicken broth. Pickled jalapeños. A few serranos. Gojuchang.

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  6. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    NbyNW and TexasF355F1 like this.
  7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Had to pick up a prescription for my mom at Costco. Did a hotdog and fries on the way out.........

Tonight is sushi night.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I posted some pics above. Nothing fancy.

Basically, just a table in our bonus room - used to be a sleeping porch back in the day. Same seeds as you except no bell peppers (will try them from seeds later on in Spring).

This grow light from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Plant-Indoor-Plants-Spectrum/dp/B08237VJ5W/ref=asc_df_B08237VJ5W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416946298468&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17852682429142733538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027286&hvtargid=pla-872559309588&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=92049668057&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416946298468&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17852682429142733538&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027286&hvtargid=pla-872559309588

I have a space heater to keep the temp in that corner of the room closer to 80 F.

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've seen people using those. Seem to do well.

Mines just a cabinet with no shelves and put the in/out fans. Would like to get a tent to have more room.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We bought a mini greenhouse after we moved to Texas. To be honest, it was a hassle to put up in the late winter, then take down in fall, etc. So, we decided to leave it up all year, and then weeds and critters seemed to enjoy it more than our plants. So, we've decided to go simple this time around.

Let me know if you have any luck with the Hungarian hot wax peppers. Thus far, those have been the biggest pains. Serrano and cayenne among store bought seeds. Calabrian pepper from our own stock are doing very well. Seeds from store bought peppers don't work very well; I think because they are picked immature.

Small things I've learned in this, our first go around with startnig peppers from seed...
    1. soak your seeds overnight if you are going to direct sow in soil
    2. look up the wet paper towel method of germinating seeds
    3. egg cartons are great for starting seedlings, they hold the moisture well along with the dirt,
    4. potting soil is better than coir (coconut fiber) for seed starting.

T
    T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've actually done a mini grow a long time ago, but just gave up because I wasn't in the mindset back then. Paper towel method is the only way to go. I've also got roto rooters for once the seeds pop. And then clay pebbles. Only gonna do 2 or 3 at first. Not sure what yet. Am going to do roma tomatoes because my mom loves tomatoes.

I'm doing the Kratky method. Easy. I don't ever want to mess with soil again. And far easier to clean.

Oh and far less likely to attract bugs.

tomc likes this.
  13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Imported Fruits & Veggies are irradiated & seeds go thhhhttt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That makes sense. We grew bell peppers from seed from store bought peppers last year. No dice on store bought jalapeños this year. They have very low germination rate.

Pickled banana peppers on top of tuna fish sammich.

Wasn't hot enough, so I chucked on a couple of pickled serranos. Mission accomplished! Lol.

T

Jdubbya, wax and TexasF355F1 like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Never tried hydroponics before. Interested to see how yours turn out.

This year we're focusing on peppers in addition to the usuals - tomatoes, basil and cucuzza.

T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When we moved here 3 years ago, we took over a Martian landscape. Even the ants were starving. Aside from moving & weeding, a Palm went in on July 4. It takes a good 3 years to build a soil.

Year 1 saw Broccoli & it was a surprisingly tasty hit. though Collards got bugged left & right.

Year 2 was transitional - moving lots more rock, gravel, sand, "soil" & amending same. Wild birdseed just to test - some, like sunflower & milo attracted aphids. Tomato was too minerally.

Winter>Spring this Year 3 is Spinach, Carrot, Tomato (had 1st yesterday - quite nice). Deep Green Spinach test this Sunday. Other Good news is No Aphids, et al..

Taters & hard beans in another spot - see what future needs are for soil.

Wildflowers in others, where idea is to get roots & mycorrhizae on one end for future cropping, pollinators & localized seeds on the other end to scatter on slope - did 1/3 weeding late today.

So, Year 4 should allow more actual varieties to sow & grow & stir-fry & roast . . .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jdubbya, tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Very cool. We went the in-ground, soil reclamation route when we lived in Memphis. Very satisfying when it works.

We've been lucky on bug front. Our neighbor has a bee hive, and they seem to love cucuzza flowers. Minimal issues with aphids over the years, maybe the myriad ladybugs keep them in check?

We decided to do raised beds about 5 - 6 years ago. Easier on the back, & they seem to work well in moisture retention, especially during the height of summer, where the goal is to keep the plants alive until heat abates in fall. We have large pots for things like tomatoes, basil and peppers. Peppers, cucuzza, lettuce, radishes and herbs go in the raised beds. This year we're going to try some bee-friendly plants to assist on the pollination front.

Smaller tomatoes seem to do best here. Never tried collards and such, but we've had good luck with kale and spinach.

We're all in on the peppers this year. Half dozen varieties growing from seed, half dozen more coming in as plants. Our local farm store claims their jalapeño plants are coming in tomorrow, so wife will be there early to nab a few. We had great results with their jalapeños last summer. Foolishly, I didn't let any mature & save the seeds on our champion jalapeño from last year; they were too tasty and got gobbled up. But I did save seeds for the best performing piccante Calabrese. So, hopefully some spicy dinners with goodies from the garden in summer and fall!

T

TexasF355F1 and wax like this.
  18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL, you tease!

We need the "don't like button"!

BrettC likes this.
  19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Near my new house is a beach. The beach has a strip of restaurants and shops. About five fish n chip places. Going to Google them and try the highest rated one tonight.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yum. We've not found a good fish and chips place in DFW. Not that we've tried very hard. Wife bought a whole bunch of peppers @ Kroger - chiles de arbol (dried), ancho, serrano, jalapeno, Anaheim, banana & - most fiery of all - habanero. Made an ancho paste for future chili. Making a habanero, maple, orange hot sauce well.

Here it is reducing.
    T

TexasF355F1 and wax like this.
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Discovered the fish and chip shops on the beach are seasonal. Now have my family ordering Chinese take out. There is a Chinese restaurant fairly close to my house. Going to give them a try.

22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    arizonaitalian, tomc and Camp Freddie like this.
  24. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Chinese restaurants here, too busy. Two hour wait for pick up. Didn't feel like waiting, so we switched to Mexican. Had a beef burrito. It was o.k. Not many Mexicans here, so getting good food is hard to find. Our property in central Washington State is agricultural business wise. The Mexican population is near 50%, much better Mexican food there.

25. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Made some stuffed portabellos tonight. Came out tasty but could have used some stock or moisture in the pan to pour over after baking. Just browned some onion, garlic, and hamburger then mixed it with some cheese and baked them for about 30 minutes. Made some quick pickled cucs with a couple serranos tossed in for spice! Added some cream cheese stuffed celery. Tasty dinner!

arizonaitalian, TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.