28mm ring nut tool? | FerrariChat

28mm ring nut tool?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DanNE, Mar 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
  2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    I ended up making my own.

Best regards,

Robert

3. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Were you able to make it out of hardened steel? Did you use a local shop from own blueprints or otherwise? Thx.

4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Tegethoff and DanNE like this.
  5. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Admiral Goodwrench's sockets are one way to make what you want. They may look crude, but impact sockets are pretty hard, and tough enough
    to hold up. The PROBLEM with trying to make a socket like you have pictured, is SOMEHOW they managed to get square corners, right down to the shoulder on all of the squares. I don't know how they did that., unless that external part of the socket was pressed or welded to the smaller diameter.The outer ring that surrounds the nut, is easily machined separate. I'm machining a few of these sockets right now. I don't remember what my diameter is, but they fit nuts in Testarossa's. I get around the fact that you can't machine a perfectly square bottom, by drilling in EIGHT locations, on each side of the square, centering the drill right into the corner. My blanks are cut out on a CNC lathe.

I've seen a variety of these for sale at around 100 to 125 per socket. Pretty fair price Ricambi has 28 mm sockets for $97.00. I make mine just like the one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-38mm-Steering-Wheel-Ring-Nut-Socket-/153721058365

6. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Thank you all, I will call Ricambi tomorrow! Looks like Hill engineering in UK also has the 28 mm socket as well.