355 STFT/LTFT questions | FerrariChat

355 STFT/LTFT questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    #1 Carmellini, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    I have been chasing fuel trim issues for a few weeks. Readings were relatively consistent over a period of time/measurements, and imbalanced from bank to bank. Bank 1 was +7%, and bank 2 was +14% suggesting a lean condition with ECU adding fuel to compensate. First smoke test showed exhaust leaks which I corrected. Next smoke test revealed both plenums leaking at the seams, one of the oil breather hoses with a small gash, and smoke billowing out of the purge valve adjacent to the charcoal cannister.

Replaced those components and new smoke test shows no leaks. Took a few drive cycles to get trim readings to change, and now they are very different......banks are now balanced with similar readings:
    LTFT bank 1 is -2.3 and bank 2 is -1.6. But STFT are bouncing from +11 to +25 on each side?? and at times, they will settle down into numbers under +2.0. In addition, I threw codes 1124 and 1126 which are LTFT additive air, system too lean. I thought that LTFT would follow the positive STFT?

Can anyone make sense of this? Since things are balanced, is it possible I have a MAF issue?. One more thing, prior to fixing all the leaks the car idled smooth and spot on; now, there are times when the idle will, ever so slightly surge a few hundred RPMs, like you might have with an air leak......???? crazy

Another observation is that my car seems to be running cool. at 45mph, temp is 166'. Could a stuck open thermostat cause low temps, and rich condition?

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Possible air injection check valves bad? (drawing in air) Maybe just cap them off as a test to compare.

3. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Wouldn't that show up with smoke test?

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not necessarily. First it would have to go through the entire system and exit the air pump for you to see it. Also it could be very weak springs in the check valves that seal a smoke test but still draw in air when running.

Not sure how likely but I would think possible. Pretty easy to pull the hoses off and cap the valves for a test.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    LTFT -2%, -1.6% should be causing a CEL. STFT will jump all over with application of throttle. But should be steady art idle. If it's jumping around at idle it's probably due to the same thing that is causing the idle to hunt. Excess air still getting in some where???

6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019

I thought those LTFT numbers would be good? If my STFT numbers were 0.0, would these numbers be good? Should those numbers "always" be positive? I did throw CEL for lean condition, but aren't negative numbers indicative of rich condition? (I recognize my high STFT when added to the LTFT shows lean)

7. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Amateur mistake and a bit of egg on my face: IAC had detached from the air delivery tube. Crazy numbers gone, but I still don't know how to interpret fuel trim readings. Changes are not immediate, and require a few drive cycles;

After a few drives and stops this AM, I thought everything was perfect with LTFT at 0.8, and 1.6%. A few more stops and starts and readings are at 3.1, and 9.4%. What should I expect and what exactly does this mean. Online searches say to add ST and LT numbers to get a total, but STFT changes all the time?

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Let's say STFT limits are +/- 20%. Ideally LTFT = 0. STFT will vary with application of throttle of reducing throttle due to the injection of more air or less air (sudden opening or closing of the throttle). At constant speed, STFT should be fairly constant. Now, if over a period of time STFT consistently hits a limit LTFT is added or subtracted to try to bring the baseline mixture into line so that STFT doesn't hit the limits. Remember the LTFT is an adjustment to the length of the injector pulse. Over time LTFT will continue to increase or decrease until a value is found that prevents the STFT from hitting either the max or min limit.

If LTFT hits it's limit a DTC is set and the CEL turned on. There are lots of causes for LTFT to go to the (+) limit: low fuel pressure, clogged injectors, poor spray pattern, low compression, misfires, air leaks after the MAF or in the exhaust (but you say you fix all of those), secondary air injection not working correctly, MAF itself (but probably not in your case since you have 1 MAF and different results on each bank), improper cam timing, etc.

While 9% seems a little high, dive the car a little and see where it goes. If it remains stable and no CEL comes on then I wouldn't be to concerned. If you are worried about if talk to a pro.

Not something that can be easily diagnosed over the internet.

9. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    great explanation, John, thanks. I finally have an idea of what its all about....at least, I think so....LOL

I feel very confident there are no more air leaks in the system. I smoke tested twice more today with a friend's help, in case my eyes missed something. Its over! Smoke free.

Highway driving, consistent at about 80mph, no crazy up and down accelerating, the numbers for Bank 1 were at +0.8 and Bank 2 at +5.5%. No idea what that might mean, but numbers were lower on the highway. With "regular" in town driving, (prior to the highway) numbers were at +1.8% and +10.2%, and after the highway drive, returning home, those exact numbers returned. So it seems, that things have settled in for fuel trims.?

I think we can agree that Bank 1 is as good as it gets and new plenum gaskets and other leak fixes corrected that side. Bank 2 is another issue: Agree, we can eliminate common parts like MAF, ISV, IAT, etc. The issue is only on Bank 2, so nothing shared is of concern. Choosing my words carefully, I feel very confident that air is not the issue. So that leaves fuel and spark. It has been a few years since the car was used much, and even prior to that PO only used a few hundred miles a year.

Is it possible that I could have a slightly balky spark plug or a slightly dirty injector on that bank? An issue so minute, that those components would not exhibit any overt behavior, but just enough to throw LTFT out of sorts? Not that big of a deal to get new plugs, and/or send out the injectors for cleaning.

Car runs great and ran great before all the leak repairs. Would have been nice to have a tangible benefit, but I can't see any difference; no regrets, certain its
    best to have the car in its best health

10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Pull the secondary air pump and clean the gauze filter. Check or replace the the small vaccum hoses. Prone to leak due to heat in eng compartment. As previously stated run a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and fill up. Make sure fuel cap is tight.

11. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Is the secondary air pump and related vacuum lines only fed to bank 2? Wouldn't smoke testing show any issues with those vacuum lines?

I am on my third tank of injector cleaner.

12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    If you're not seeing any changes from injector cleaner then there isn't an issue there. If there was you would see big changes. 2nd ary air pump system pushes air both banks. Easier just to replace the hoses

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It would depend on which side of the check valves you were introducing the smoke.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    I did see some benefit, but not "big changes." I am not sure off the shelf bottle cleaners can solve all injector issues. Could it be a poor spray pattern that requires ultrasonic cleaning?

15. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    a ha.....good point.....will go back in there and investigate. I could pull hoses related to the secondary and check directly?

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Have you done a visual inspection of the hoses and metal pipes already?

Assuming the fault is downstream of the secondary air valve (#13), I would try to remove that L-piece downstream of the valve and introduce smoke there.

Beetle likes this.
  17. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    yes...all "looks" good.

good advice., will do

spoke to Dan from Bradan yesterday. Surely you have seen some of his threads. nice guy and he does nice work. He told me he was chasing the exact issue for a customer with higher LTFT on bank 2. He said the resolution was to replace a micro chip inside the ECU specifically for trim?? Bosch CJ125. not sure if there are 2 or more of those chips inside or only one? Do you have 5.2 ECU schematic?

18. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Was excited, in anticipation, to find a leak with this test, but unfortunately (really...lol) there are no leaks in the secondary air system. I have asked before: can a spark plug be half pregnant? Are plug failings binary, or is there a grey area and perhaps one plug is just not be firing at full capacity?

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    And you tested the check valves?

20. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    No I have not. How would I do that?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Before you go tearing into things you really need to use an exhaust gas analyzer to see what's going on. If exhaust gases are normal and LTFT is stable then the LTFT is likely responding to a true lean condition which would point to fuel delivery (fuel pressure for example) or excess air on the intake side. If excess air is entering the exhaust or there is incomplete combustion the exhaust gases with be wack and LTFT may continue to rise. Of course, this is an over simplification of things. Just some ideas.

Beetle likes this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Very carefully :p These are stupidly expensive (OEM)

23. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
  24. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Spent a few days driving and bank 1 is consistently at or near 0.0, while bank 2 stays around 10%. I don't think its a big deal, but I don't like the imbalance, and 10% is borderline; I would like to clean this up. I was able to speak with a local seasoned tuner and will be visiting his shop this week. He suggested putting the car on his dyno and using wide band O2 sensors to check things out. He felt the best attack was a 5 gas analyzer, but is not in his tool kit. Like Bradan, he has seen ECU micro chips at issue, but thought (over the phone) injector cleaning would be first avenue of pursuit.

In the meantime, I would like to Mityvac my bank 2 FPR but have no idea where the vacuum connection is? I felt around in the front of the plenum with no luck.

One oddity, is that at highway cruise, bank 2 number drops to 6.3, while engine temp drops to 165'? I would have thought the reverse with cooler engine temps forcing ECU to dump fuel? Could my higher in town fuel trim be related to the kicking on of the cooling fans? I think the cooling fans cause both bank fuel trims to elevate and the fan loads trump the cooler highway temps?

25. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Yesterday I was able to record a bit more. No highway driving, a bit of stop and go and cruising, at times, around 50mph: Bank 2 LTFT was between 9.4, 10.2 and more often at 11.7. While sitting, the LTFT did not change at idle, 1,500, 2,000, 2,500, 3,000, and 3,500. While driving I got that same results while holding RPMs at these same numbers. Does this suggest a fuel delivery issue?