348 - 1990 348 Rosso Corsa Paint | FerrariChat

348 1990 348 Rosso Corsa Paint

Discussion in '348/355' started by John Glen, Mar 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    I am looking for some paint to "touch up" my 1990 348 . The paint code sticker on the engine lid identifies the paint code as Rosso Corssa FER 300/9 Does anyone know of a source for this correct paint ? Thanks, JGW

2. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    looking for product I can spray on bumper

3. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I have a touch up pen like the one listed above(Express Paint that doesn't list anything other than paint code300) by @jferrante and it was not a perfect match. Rosso Corssa shade actually came in several variations in the 80's to early 90's for the single stage paint our cars used. There are 300/6, 300/9, and 300/12. I was able to get 300/12 and it was a dead match for my '89 that has a sticker like yours that says 300/9 so go figure. In a quick search I only found one company currently offering 300/12 and that is touchupdirect.com. I don't remember the supplier I used to get my 300/12 but it has the Ferrari logo as well as PPG logo on the pen. They have different sizes as well. Hope this helps.

QSA likes this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #5 steved033, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    I have a 300/9 car and mine came to me with a touchup from https://1stclassauto.com/ rosso corsa 322

there's a touched up area on my car in darker red, that isn't my touchup, becasue i've used my touchup and it matches perfectly.

sjd

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    So what exactly are you planning? Are you going to spray your front bumper yourself? I've never personally heard of buying touch-up paint that you are spraying on anything. Typically you buy touch up paint to fill small rock chips.

How much paint are you looking for? You could go to a body shop and they can use the paint camera on your car to get an exact match of your shade of red, mix you up a portion and sell that to you.

8. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Yes I want to re spray the bumper. I'm off to a local auto paint supply today with the bumper . They claim to be able to photograph the paint and formulate a match. We will see.......JGW

9. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    My .02 that you didn't ask for...spend the $400-$500 and take it to a professional!

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You need a professional to colour match; I understand it’s part eye, part machine.

You won’t get a decent colour match otherwise. As outlined above lots of different shades and also your car will have changed over the years due to uv etc.

Paint colours; whilst the same code also changed over the years due to changes in their formulation, but I think that was predominantly earlier than you car, but standing by to be corrected.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    According to the Glasurit website, their code for FER 300/9 is "300 09" (https://coloronline.glasurit.com/?language=8 - just close the pop-ups, type "300 09" in the CODE window and click "SRART SEARCH" twice). You should be able to get the correct mix (from a Glasurit mixer) by just using the said code but this will be the colour as it was on the car at the time of its painting in the factory, probably somewhat lighter/brighter than the paint now on the car that has changed somewhat over the years.

So, I think there are two choices:

1. Get the paint mixed to the code - will be somewhat different (lighter) than the rest of the body but will probably equalize after some 6-12 months.

2. Get a mix according to the camera (spectrum analyser, I think) which will match the rest as it is in the present (aged) condition. However, there is a strong possibility that the newly mixed "matching now" paint will change and become darker than the rest after 6-12 months, unless certain "age compensation" factor is applied when mixing based on the spectrum analyser.

Perhaps you can discuss this with the auto paint/spray shop.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky