328 Speaker question | FerrariChat

328 Speaker question

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Feb 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #1 mike996, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Anyone know if the OEM speakers fitted into the 328 have any sort of crossover network installed to reduce the bass supplied to the dashboard speakers? I would ASSUME they do but notice distortion from the dash speakers if the radio volume is turned up a bit unless the bass is turned down. (Alpine OEM-era radio/cassette). OF course, even if they do have a X-over, the 1989 capacitors that would be there might be bad by now...

If I have to replace the speakers, I am only interested in speakers that will fit in the existing spaces - both dash and doors, with no cutting of anything. Recommendations?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No separate crossover network shown on the 328 schematic so any passive high-pass filtering components would have to be located as part of the tweeter itself. Are you sure that you still have the stock 328 tweeters?

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #3 mike996, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    I can't say for certain that they are original but the two previous owners were fanatical about documentation of everything. The first owner had a radio installed by the dealer in San Francisco when he purchased the car new in '89; I have the receipt for the radio install and there is no listing on the work order/receipt mentioning different speakers. The second owner - '92 until I bought it in '08 - also documented all service work and, again no mention of speaker purchase/change.

The tweeters could have come with a suitable capacitor - guess I won't know until I pull them out...once I figure out how! :)

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I installed Hertz speakers
    D16 80W Tweeters
    DCX 165.3 door speakers
    No mod required

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  6. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    As above, you can install a bass blocker (hi pass filter) in line with the tweeters. Some may have those built into them anyway. Am a bit rusty on this stuff but I think you might find some drivers don't take kindly to have tweeters installed in parallel. Some are OK with it, some are not.

On the door cards if you look at the back of them the holes in the fibreglass through which the speakers are supposed to project sound were not even round in my car, just some fairly crude & odd shaped slots that covered probably 30-40% of the cone area.
    You can open these up from the back without touching the carpet over the front of them & that will improve things.

I also used one of these things rather than mess about with trying to find a place to install a normal sized amp. https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/ktp-445u

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Focal speakers are the best on the market today,(1600.00 for the 4 in the doors), 350.00 for the tweeters I believe . I have 2- 6.5 inch, and 2 -4.0 inch in the doors. , and 2 tweeters,cross overs are inside the doors. My amp is brand new , I forgot the name, but its a 4 channel set up, I also have a high end powered sub woofer that sits just perfectly behind the passengers seat with no hardware needed. PM me if you need the Manufacturer of the amp and sub woofer. My amp is on a custom pedestal under the front bonnet. I dont keep the donut there, its useless.My sound system is the most you can get in a 328 without cutting stuff open. Its sounds incredible !!

Thank you

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks for the input! I'm just looking to replace the original speakers with new ones that will fit in place with no car mods and connect to the existing radio speaker wires. Not looking for a separate amp.

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Can you post some pics of the setup please?

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've been toying with upgrading the sound system, but the NVH ('85 QV) is out of this world. You'd need a 350W RMS amp to overcome it, and some sort of sub-woofer. I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm now considering just going to noise-cancelling ear buds, and listening via bluetooth. Don't you find the NVH a little too loud?

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Sure, My car is ready for pick up, Im home sick with a chest cold, flu ,I promise I will send you the pics.

Thank you

12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Im not sure what NVH means, with that being said, my system sounds clean as can be,the question is, how does it sound with the top off while driving, and yes it is loud enough lol Let me know what you mean by NVH , Im drawing a blank , Im sorry.

Thank you

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Noise, Vibration, and Harshness - basically it's noisy as hell in the cabin, even with the roof on, and I'm not sure you can get a clean enough sound to drown it out without causing permanent hearing loss!

14. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    That really turned out to be my issue with it & why I hardly ever use it. I went to great lengths to install a Sub in the passenger footwell, replaced the front speakers & even made some rear shelf speakers.

Even so, to get any definition, the total volume level is not a comfortable one at anything over about 30-40mph! Anywhere in traffic it also makes you "that antisocial tool playing loud music in his Ferrari"

Everything I did was reversible & I have already removed the Sub. The rears may go next.

15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Well , I think we all have our levels of the sound we like, you are correct, the cabin is noisy, I even have a Tubi / Test pipe as well, when the windows are up and the AC on, its not bad at all, even when I have the windows down, I can hear the music pretty clear, the Focals are fantastic, its a four channel set up, and the Sub woofer really fills the cabin up, which , where it sits, kind of absorbs some of the cabin noise, I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard it , like it said, If you were to listen to it,( I am a bit of an audio file, most of my life), you would really like it.

Thank you

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Side question...

So I know radio head units where a dealer fitted option in 328's but were the door speakers dealer fitted as well or factory fitted ?

If factory fitted what brand of speaker did they use?

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have no idea, except for the size speaker , the small hole can fit 3.5 to 4 inch, the bigger hole 6 to 6.5 . tweeters are 1.5 i believe .

Thank you

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hi Mark,

a) speakers were factory fitted into the doors of all 328 produced, and wired towards the center rack to receive a head unit, whether the car will get one later or not.
    b) "Autosonik"; still available new.

Rgds

Rosey likes this.
  19. mikemal7

mikemal7 Rookie

Nov 4, 2009
    [

I had my 328 original speakers rebuilt several months ago for $150 US in Florida: Nick Dorazio 330-758-6911

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    OEM part 61835200, available from the usual dealers in Ferrari spare parts, price new for instance from Maranello classic parts in the U.K = 66.97 GBP apiece, excluding VAT.
    But they are not very good...

Rgds

21. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    mike996 and afterburner like this.
  22. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (I believe) One issue that Menno's pictures illustrate is that the overall depth of the speakers can't be huge (so not every replacement would work).

23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have had infinity for most of my ownership, the 6.5 s have lasted several years each, so I may have used 4 sets over the past 22 years, most 6.5 s will work in the 328 s door without a problem. The Focals are the best I have had yet, they can handle power and they sound fantastic, the Infinitys are very good as well, they just cannot handle the power that Im looking for. Pictures to follow now that I picked up my car today. Going back to the originals or anything alike would be a waste of time and money in my estimation .

Thank you

24. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    That was exactly my point but I than realized that the original speakers with the yellow Ferrari stickers should be kept and the sound quality should not be an issue since the real music is behind the passenger compartiment.

25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I would do what Alfer did with the door speakers if they need work - just refurbish them. I don't need amps/"better" sound. I just want it to work as it would have when the system was new. Re that - how are the dash speakers removed? Looks like dash has to come out. :(