A Mexico Owner Again | FerrariChat

A Mexico Owner Again

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by remi, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,

I was briefly on this forum over a decade ago when I owned Mexico number 254.

My first love in cars has always been classic Maseratis; of those particularly the GT cars of the 60's, and of those the Vignale ones! I think they embody the best of the breed- refined, elegant, rare, elegant (3500, Sebring, Mexico).

When I first saw 254, I had just started working for the first time- and it was sitting out front a mechanic's workshop in my home town of Melbourne- midway through a restoration. From across the street I was drawn to it- and the mechanic kindly fired up that quad cam V8, after which I was smitten. Having just commenced working life, it was unattainable even as a project car, but some years later after a major work milestone I randomly searched online, and the very same car (now 90% complete),was for sale. I bought it, and enjoyed it for 4-5 years, before selling it to afford the deposit on our first house in 2010. The car went to New Zealand.

When, in 2016 I was in the position to buy a classic once again, the vintage Maseratis had appreciated fast, and were now seemingly out of my reach. Instead, I purchased and have greatly enjoyed a '71 911- All the while kicking myself for ever selling the Mexico.

With the COVID lockdown (which is quite strict here in Melbourne), I've had a lot of time on my hands- and working in our study, where a pile of old books are used to elevate the computer monitor. Which books? Hard cover editions of the VCM magazine published by MIE from the years I had the Mexico...which got me thinking, and searching, and emailing....

And now- I have once again purchased a Mexico- this time a 4.7L, number 186: so earlier than my previous car, and with some of the features I prefer on these cars (chrome rings around instruments for example). It has been in Australia most of its life, and was converted to RHD early on. Originally delivered in Silver over Black interior, it was repainted 'resale red' during a restoration in the 90's. The interior seems to have been redone well, in a tan leather.

Given our lockdown, I was unable to inspect it personally, but had it looked over by a reputable shop interstate where it was being sold. This didn't raise any red flag issues- it is a driver condition car, with some mechanical work to do now to get it up and running safely. The bodywork has held up well more than 20 years after restoration, but I plan to repaint it in a few years- and deal with body issues then: although compared to my old Mexico, there is little obvious cause for concern.

Given the interior is still very good, and now has 25 years of 'non-original patina', I'll probably leave it alone, and repaint the car in a more sympathetic colour to the interior; one of the period Maserati blue shades I suspect. Given it has already been converted, going back to fully original interior and paint specification is less of a priority.

The car will arrive with my mechanic next week (who also worked on my previous Mexico), and I'll be sure to post updates and fresh photos of my own once the car is up and running. Meanwhile, I've attached a few shots below from the sale and the pre-purchase inspection.

I'm not sure what documentation accompanies the car, so I will wait before reaching out to Fabbio for build sheets etc. It seems that the previous owner may not be too amenable to a phone conversation..I'm not sure of the reason. So- if anyone has any history on 186- please let me know.

Look forward to being a part of discussions here in the coming years- I'm sure I will be asking lots of advice.

Remi

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, Ursa Major, johnei and 9 others like this.
  2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks like a very good car that you can make better over time. Appears to have power steering, which is a nice option.

Ivan

3. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi Remi,
    nice one and well done. I'd seen it advertised for some time and thought it the deal of the century even at asking price. I really like the Mexico's too, and would have had a crack at it but for a full garage. I tried to convince a Qld based mate to buy it but he's more into Porsche's, and then he lost his job during Covid!
    I'm Sydney based (moved up from Melbourne 4 years ago).
    Keep us posted!
    Cheers,
    Mathew

4. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Matthew- yes, it had sat for a while; I managed to buy it at significantly under the asking price- at what would seem to have been a reasonable price even for a full restoration project selling in some overseas markets. Lucky it wasn't for sale at CTS or Duttons!

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Remi...

Congratulations on your purchase !!! Please keep us informed on your progress, and make
    sure to post pictures often.... There are still a few of us around that own a Mexico !!

Mike
    112-074

6. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi Remi,
    I hope you will join us for Cars and Coffee once we’re out of lockdown, monthly meetings at the Sandbar Cafe Middle Park, Melbourne. Looking forward to seeing your new purchase

Julian

www.moca.org.au
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M and MrMark like this.
  7. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Julian- yes, I've joined MOCA already- and hopefully by the time the car is mechanically sorted and registered (1-2 months away I hope), will be able to join in.

8. tcbob11

tcbob11 Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert J Rourke
    Congratulations on your purchase, Remi. I share your appreciation of Maserati GTs of the '60's and am currently in the process of restoring Mexico 330 to touring duty. Might be a few years at my current pace, but the work is a welcome diversion from lockdowns and social distancing!

9. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    So- after 2 months, and a lot of work and parts sourcing (thanks forum); I picked up the car this afternoon and had my first ever drive...

What a blast- certainly an easier experience compared with my first non-power steering Mexico that's for sure. The sound, the aromas of leather and petrol- just fantastic.

It's with me for the weekend to drive and find niggles (found a few already), and then back to the mechanic next week for a proper polish and ceramic coat and to iron out the little issues discovered... Happy days!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M and lbird like this.
  10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Remi...

Congratulations !!! She looks great!

Mike

11. tcbob11

tcbob11 Rookie

Nov 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert J Rourke
    Enjoy your great new car in good health!

12. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    F456M, lbird and 71Satisfaction like this.
  13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Remi...

Looking very nice!

Mike

14. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    johnei likes this.
  15. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bridgestone Turanza- will change to CN72 in the next year or so!

16. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Bridgestone were certainly cheaper.
    Could you tell which specs and your feelings about the handling on the Mexico?

17. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Vredestein Sprint Classic 205/70

18. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    They are 205/65 R15.

My rear suspension will need some going over before I comment too much about handling- it is very firm and has little travel. Pretty sure I was briefly airborne the other other day after going over a bump on the highway- lucky the road was straight!

Addressing the rear suspension and changing back to original CN72's will be a project for the coming year!

F456M and Froggie like this.
  19. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Only just saw this thread, Congrats Remi it looks beautiful, enjoy in good health :)

20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Michelin XWX 215/70

Mike D.

21. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    F456M likes this.
  22. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Phil- looking forward to seeing your Mexico in person too! Looks lovely.

23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You have my dream car!!! The design, the interior, the engine, the dashboard with those switches, the sound........ It is a masterpiece!! Congratulations.

Erik
    Norway

24. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Beautiful car !!!!

Mike D.