458 - 458 Interior Removal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 458 Interior Removal

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DoubleD33, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn’t have any shims on my car. The shop manual also makes no mention of shims, so I’m wondering if only cars with CF have them due to less precise manufacturing methods, and / or different thickness material?

2. Andrew C

Andrew C Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Do you have a guide on removal of the trim behind the seats and on the door frame? Trying to install a 2 channel dashcam and wanted to get an idea on the cable routing.

3. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Hey buddy. I need to remove all the interior to get it carbon dipped

(Uk)

left air vents
    Middle air vents
    Right vents
    Centre section (where the keys go)

can you like these for me as I can’t see the ones above on my phone

4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Go t the sticky no more website and click on help. Scroll to the bottom and you will see these instructions.

5. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles
    Could you tell me what size Torx it is? I have been fiddling around but can’t seem to undo them. What do mean by tamper proof? What’s the trick? :) THANKS!

6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tamper proof Torx fasteners require a special Torx tool bit with a hole in the end of the bit. Tamper proof Torx fasteners have a recessed star hole in the top with a round rod in the centre of the star.

The tamper proof Torx bits have a hole in the end of the bit that fits in the top of the tamper proof fastener. Standard Torx bits will not work in tamper proof Torx fasteners, you will need a tamper proof Torx bit to remove them...

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Owen_Cali30 likes this.
  7. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles
    Awesome thanks! Got the right bit now, anyone knows the right size? (Don’t want to bugger them :)

8. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles
    It’s a T30 :)

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cheers brah and good luck!

Owen_Cali30 likes this.
  10. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good Luck Owen. Just take your time and you'll be good to go. Let us know how it went.

Owen_Cali30 likes this.
  11. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles

Attached Files:

338Lapua likes this.
  12. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Just pulled my climate control unit out to get refinished. Thanks to Doubled33 instructions, it was a piece of cake. I got it out in less than 10min.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DoubleD33 likes this.
  13. Owen_Cali30

Owen_Cali30 Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Owen Fowles
    Wow that’s great - can you point me to these instructions?
    Thanks,

14. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    PDF s at the beginning of this thread.

Owen_Cali30 likes this.
  15. SirJImothy

SirJImothy Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    James Coffman
    #40 SirJImothy, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021

Any advice on getting the steering wheel to that point? I removed the airbag, but am having difficulty finding the next step from there. I can't sort out how to remove the silver aluminum piece without removing the entire steering wheel. I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

They are T25. Tamper proof means the bit has to have a little hole in it. Google “tamper proof t25” and it’ll become clear.

I removed the torx bits and airbag. I’m feeling stuck beyond that. How do I remove the aluminum cover? It seems way too stuck to just pry it off. Are there any other bolts that need to be removed besides the two torx?

I’m trying to remove the turn signals for refinishing.

16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Nope. It just the airbag holding the cover in position. There are two stanchions that insert into two columns which have a hole in the middle. You can see right one clearly in post #36. It is located at the upper center corner of the cover. I hope this makes sense.

17. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    @up4speed - Photo two of the lower left panel which holds the wing mirrors switch and headlight switch is super helpful. Does that panel just pull out? Any special tools required?

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #43 up4speed, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    I think some of the cars may have a screw under the steering wheel (on the same panel) securing it, but others don't. Mine had 2 screws under there, but after removing them, I realized that they were just there to hold a dense foam piece inside the cover, they don't actually secure the cover. I'm pretty sure it is just a crash pad to protect your knee in the event of a collision. In other words, I don't think that they have to be removed (on my car), but others may have a screw that actually secures the piece. I am assuming that it may vary year to year. Other than that, the piece just pulls straight off, if you look at the photo, you will see the mounting pins.
    As I described earlier, the panel may be a little difficult to remove the first time you do it, but if you put a tiny but of white lithium grease on the pins, it will be much easier in the future.
    The attached file shows the instructions for removal. The model in the writeup does have the mounting screw that I was referring to.

Attached Files:

SoFLFerrari likes this.
  19. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Thanks @up4speed. I'll tackle this little project this weekend. Seems simple enough. The instructions you shared are labled MyRicambi. Whats the link with them? They're just up the street from me.

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No link. I just liked the instructions. I try to save anything that I feel will help me or someone else in the future.

SoFLFerrari likes this.
  21. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I emailed Denis at MyRicambi. He said those instructions are from 2013! Thank goodness you saved them.

up4speed likes this.
  22. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    @upforspeed. I couldn't wait and made the wing mirror switch swap after work today. Probably a 2 on a scale of one to ten in degree of difficulty. Took an hour start to finish and that included resetting the ECU because of a dumb error opening the top caused an alarm I couldn't quiet. Had to disconnect the battery anyway to swap to switch so no biggie. Thanks again for the help.

All, I took photos and will be posting a separate thread on replacing the wing mirror switch on a 2015 458. I'll link here when done. Ciao ciao.

up4speed likes this.
  23. Steve22dalmore

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Digva
    Hi All, I have a 458 Spyder 2014 and the centre channel speaker is playing up. Anyone know how to replace this?

24. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    DoubleD33's instructions proved spectacularly helpful to me as I dismantled and then put my dash back together! Dismantling the dash is not difficult really. It just requires lots of patience. You'll end up doing a much better job, and actually getting done sooner, if you take it slow. The best part is that by doing the work myself, I was able to fix things that weren't right, add sound insulation, and ensure that all screws and washers went back exactly where they needed to go. A professional Ferrari-licensed mechanic may have more experience than me, but he/she cares less about my particular car than I do. So now I know for a fact that my car was put back together correctly.

In order to "give back to the community" I thought I'd share a few helpful techniques and tools that might help others. Hope it proves useful.

1. Create a little paper tray with the sides folded up, and position it under your work area, to catch any screws, washers, etc. that might fall. You don't want anything falling into the bowels of your open dash!

2. Use a mirror at the end of a telescoping extension to view into tough-to-see areas like those close to the windshield or inside the glove box.

3. Splurge about $30 on miniature rachet wrenches, and flexible extensions.

4. Take lots of pictures before you remove things, and label all electrical connectors and each screw individually with painter's tape. Put all of the screws for each item in a little plastic bag so you don't mix up the glove box screws with those of the binnacle, for example. Also, remember to make note of exactly how each electrical connector is placed in the dash, so you can put them back in exactly the same place when you rebuild your dash.

5. Be prepared for LOTS of broken plastic when you dismantle your dash. Lots of pieces are broken even before you take them apart, and many more will fall apart and break as you dismantle them and remove them from the dash. You'll find epoxy to be your best friend. I found J-B plastic bonder to work exceptionally well.