812 VS Rumors | Page 206 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Ha, I was there when they showed this at the Geneve motorshow. Damn, this was a long time ago... 2010 if I'm not mistaken. I remember that Montezemolo was there and he was really proud of it.

As for the current design language of the company at the moment - you guys forget, that many designers work for Pininfarina and also for Ferrari. It is not the past, when Sergio Pininfarina has done the cars by himself. Now there are big teams and it doesn't really matter if Pininfarina or Ferrari is making the design of the new model. After all - even when Pininfarina has done the new models, Ferrari were the ones that have given them directions and that have approved the final design, Pininfarina haven't taken all descisions by themselves... Probably now in Ferrari there are designers, who have worked in Pininfarina in the past, or maybe the opposite... My point is, that it doesn't really matter where the design of the new car will be made really.

My personal opinion is that in terms of design the 812 and the F8 are a step backwards, compared to their predecessors, but in the same time I think, that the SF90 looks very, very good. And when it comes down to the special versions (GTO, TDF and so on), the aerodynamics are overcoming the design from many years, so sometimes the hands of the designers are a little tied. But I'm sure the new car will look very good though.

Caeruleus11 and zooyorker like this.
  2. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Perhaps it functionally serves the same purpose as the S-duct on the Pista, providing added downforce to the front wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcmetro likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just to take it as far out as possible. We are already running rampant with ideas, so why not.

Like said above, and as I mentioned a few pages back, yes, an S duct contraption.

But let's roll with that. That duct leaves very little room for the engine as the bonnet sits very close to the engine as is.
    It also makes for a passage that will allow a monstrous amount of cooling air to flow through a radiator.
    There's no rear window, there are huge air inlets on the roof, and the Aperta does not have a folding roof.

I know it sounds bonkers, but I'm starting to wonder if the rumours a few years back of a mid engined 812 VS are in fact true.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds and roma1280 like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Or maybe it is louvred in a way that makes it much less visible from the front and side? If that channel sir over the car, with that picture, we are looking straight into it.

RamsHmb likes this.
  5. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Wowza.....I was starting to think about that too. A Modern testarossa. But how would that be a limited version of an 812. That would be a completely new animal but I like the thinking.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    of2worlds likes this.
  7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely. A mid engine car would have strictly nothing to do with the 812, a completely different car, and could in no way be called or considered as a 812 VS.

RamsHmb and roma1280 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The unibody and basic shape is still very much 812. Fact is that there are no rules. And don't forget that there has also been talk about the 812 successor being mid engined V12.

Want me to take it one step further on the crazy scale?

We are looking at a GTO livery. We are at the 60 Anni of the GTO in Le Mans. Are we in fact not only looking at a mid engined 812 VS, but some insane contraption that is both a sign of what will replace the 812, but also the homologation GTO for the new Le Mans class? Mid engined car with F1 tech super compact hybrid assist. Now there's something nuts to think about.

RamsHmb, fil and of2worlds like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Couldn't possibly be? Remember what people were saying when rumours of a hybrid F70 first started to float around?

What first and foremost makes the 812 the 812, is the shape and design, and that is still intact. If there is any other rules it is the following. It has to be V12.

They already removed the rear glass and added inlets. Anything is possible.

This has me more excited about a Ferrari than I have been in decades.

roma1280 likes this.
  10. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I don't say it's impossible to happen, I say that, at least in my opinion, It woudn't be a 812 VS. Just a new model. Moving the the engine from front to rear means reengineer the whole car. If they retain the general shape and call it a 812 VS they have the right to do so, but it won't be a VS in its traditional meaning . It would be a "Supercar inspired by the 812 design" not a souped up 812

Just my vision of the VS idea.

I've never been that curious about an upcoming model of any brand. I want to see that thing RIGHT NOW

Ferrari stop playing your crap and spite the thing quick please.

Caeruleus11 and Doug23 like this.
  11. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    @day355 I can't see them adding a hybrid setup on this car (or turbos), what about a supercapacitor? They could call it the 812 supercharge

Alvega and dcmetro like this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think Ferrari has the V12 in an extreme state of tune that makes most of it's power at a very high RPM. To compensate for the lack of low RPM power there is a modest electric assist. It would be a sort of "torque fill" replacement for what the extreme tune gave up. Extensive carbon fibre body parts would be utilized to compensate for the added weight plus active aero features. Also fixed seats where instead only the pedals position moved.

mthompson2376, Alvega and jpalmito like this.
  13. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    At this point I am still betting on it harboring a flux capacitor under there somewhere

stavura, of2worlds, Nicolas21 and 4 others like this.
  14. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Harrier jet lift off capability. Hence the air ducts on the rear of the car.

stavura, of2worlds, Ltfor3 and 2 others like this.
  15. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    Presentation taking place Mid-April. I assume at Emilia Romagna GP in Imola on April 18th... We’ll see. Does anyone have any info on the production volume at this point? Are we all going with 499Apertas and 999Coupes? I can’t really get over the 999. My feeling tells me 812 units...

Shack and manya81 like this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Don’t forget Ferrari plans to make big money with this car.
    Why would they completely change the engine layout of this car which is a very expensive thing to do ?
    No , if a mid engined 812 replacement is in the pipeline, I guess we will see it in 2023.

Doug23 likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I can’t see any way this is a mid-engined V12, they would have to solve the following:-

If you look at the cabin, the engine situated behind it would be rear not mid. Think about the handling challenges of an engine sited over the rear wheels, then think of that engine being a Ferrari V12 and the weight that brings!! Also imagine where the gearbox goes and how they have to reengineer it to sit next to the engine with a transaxle, most likely underneath per Lamborghini, raising the CoG. They couldn’t move it forward because the seats would have to move (big cost because lots of re-homologation if you disturb the H-points and their relationship to the rest of the cabin) plus the dash would need a re-design to accommodate that given the front screen and A-pillars are the same. Then to question why they would go to the expense of building a mid-engine car that looks like a front-engined one, with compromised handling too. If it was a very small V12.....? Perhaps, but still unlikely because we didn’t get to talking about the changes to the chassis required - re-siting the fuel tank etc. The list just goes on and on. They wouldn’t be charging what I believe they will charge for that, if it were even possible to squeeze into the 812 shape. If they can solve all that they are not just brilliant but geniuses (or aliens with other-world engineering know-how and materials, but since I doubt there are any aliens...)

It would be great to think it, but I just can’t see how it can be possible. Fun to imagine though!

The 599 HY-KERS picture and diagram posted a few pages ago seems more likely. A high-revving V12 with an F1-style KERS system, located in the rear, assisting the gearbox, could be a win-win. Doesn’t disturb the n/a V12 up front, doesn’t have the weight of a normal hybrid, allows a significant enough power boost given much more from the engine is hard to find. It would also distribute the weight more towards the rear. On the ‘leak’ post there was a picture but also a list of specs. Nowhere did it say weight. Normally that is a key claim of a VS. But if there were a KERS system, all the weight savings would be spent in the KERS, so the VS would weigh similar to the Superfast but with 60-70 more hp, better torque, more downforce and sharper handling. Looks more and more like the right answer to me. This system would not necessarily be tuned for CO2 improvements but it could well signal a similar system in the 812 replacement which would then have different ‘tuning’, just like RWS was changed from its introduction in the TDF to its use in the 812. But who knows, maybe it’s none of those things!

stavura, NZCREW, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  18. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Ferrari Challenge is in Monza early April....
    Who knows...

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is a front engine V12.
    No mid-engine or whatever.

Marcel Massini

mthompson2376, GK18, TP98 and 16 others like this.
  20. Jljr

Jljr Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Miami Beach
    The voice of reason. Thank you.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd guess it's actually front-mid though (engine after the front axle, not on top of it).

Ltfor3 likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Every car is criticized on public forums. In other breaking news, water is wet. I’m never surprised when critics take shots at new cars, but I am surprised any time those shots seem to land. For my part, I own a smattering of polarizing cars (812, 765LT, Viper ACR), and what others might think about my choices does nothing whatsoever to inform my enjoyment of them.

Ultimately the 812VS is going to be next level bonkers, but not everyone will agree. The people lucky enough to be “chosen” to receive one will no doubt love the car, and I can’t imagine that any of those automotive luminaries would give two rips about what any faceless/nameless person on the interwebz might think.

Last point, the 812VS stands at the very chasm between current ICE gen and the next gen, which is bound to be bastardized by draconian regulations. Some of the criticism (fear?) is born of that. The 812VS is a microcosm of the concern over what comes next. Were it not for the goofy GPF’s, MPG requirements, sound restrictions, and the like, the hand-wringing over the 812VS in particular, and the future of Ferrari in general, would not be nearly the same.

In the end, everyone will soon be enjoying their 812VS, and I will be living vicariously through their driving reports.

23. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I agree.
    Ferrari in the near future will not address the same clientele, and enthusiasts who wear the flags and colors of the brand are embarrassing, because above all, they will not buy heavy cars, hybrids in twin turbo, exhaust 62 db, more and more voluminous and more and more expensive.
    Without forgetting the new stylistic codes which distance us from those which made the aura of the brand.
    This is the end of analog cars and the beginning of digital cars, in drive and design (SF 90).
    It is normal that many of us are gradually turning away from it.
    There will remain those who want a car of image, and who are the main target of the new target customers Ferrari will address.
    I repeat, the advent of the F 171 will make Ferrari another brand.

24. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    So nicely said! On point 100%. I share the same opinion. I am in my late 20s and prefer the analog vibe; meaning it is not only the older generation which thinks this way...

25. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I like the coupe better as well. Long live the 812 GTS. My garage goals: 812 VS coupe, 812 GTS, 458 speciale, Pista spider, F40, TDF, 250 GTO, and 280 GTO.