328 Battery recommendations please | FerrariChat

328 Battery recommendations please

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steelton Keith, Mar 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The Odyssey died and people I respect say stay away from Odyssey as quality has deteriorated past few years. I am looking at an Optima 34R. Please post your experiences and recommendations / warnings. 1987 328 GTS Thanks, Keith

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interstate Battery NOT the one from Costco but the real green top Interstate battery.
    Mine lasted 11 years and being maintained by Battery Tender.

EP328 and flash32 like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have an Optima in 3 of my cars .. it seems to do me well ..last anyway from 5 to 7 years as long as I don't continually kill them by not putting a charger on
    Lasted 9 years in a Scud when charger was on when not being used
    I have one now on a Vette from 2015 and still going strong ..also one from 2017
    Have one on shelf waiting to be installed in a Scud

Majin_JT likes this.
  4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I have my second Optima battery in my 328, the first one lasted at least 8 years. Using a battery tender will definitely increase the lifetime of any battery.

Thank you

6. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Deka batteries made by East Penn. Optima have had a bad reputation for a long time. Surprised to hear Odyssey is not what it once was.
    Every time I change a battery the new one gets hooked up to the trickle charger/maintainer since they are never at full voltage from the store.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know everyone says Optima is bad but my experience has been different - I think it comes to keeping them fully charged...once you killed them they are toast ( no coming back like most other batteries)

Diehl Jones and Majin_JT like this.
  8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I have a Bosch S5 007 in my 328 - 11 years old, still spins the starter as fast as ever. (Lives on a battery conditioner).

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The other option for extending life on a regular battery is to turn it completely off when not in use - its not like there's a bunch of electronics that need feeding 24/7

10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I'm replacing battery today (successfully I hope). Bought an Optima 34R RedTop. Will report. I have amateur skills and tools but since I lost my great mechanic, I have no option but to try it myself

Diehl Jones and flash32 like this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just remember to connect positive first :)

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Majin_JT likes this.
  12. Diehl Jones

Diehl Jones Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Diehl Jones
    I’ve had an optima in the 308 for about 6 years so far. I use a Battery Tender regularly

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    About an hour job. Fired right up. Thanks to everyone who chipped in

Diehl Jones and flash32 like this.
  15. Diehl Jones

Diehl Jones Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Diehl Jones
    Ferrari makes batteries hard to change! The 308/328 is easy compared to a 360/430. I had to do the 360 since we lost Terry! Josh was a good coach, though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Anybody tried a Lithium-Iron battery (like a Shorai) in a 3x8? I've been running a Shorai in a motorcycle for almost 10 years - the same battery. So far that is more than 3x the life I ever got from a lead-acid moto battery. I don't know if they make Li Fe batts in the appropriate capacity for car starting - never researched it but the small size and light weight would be convenient thing compared with lifting a lead acid batt out of my 328...which I just had to do last week. ;)

Diehl Jones likes this.
  17. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    One of the things I quite liked about the Bosch batteries - integrated handle. Still weighty but much easier to get in & out of the hole!

18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have a Shorai in one of my bikes as well and I'd certainly get another one. It seems to be a really great battery. I looked a couple of months ago and they didn't have anything car-sized yet.

19. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #19 AZDoug, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    After some trials with ATV batteries, i am considering a smart Li ion battery for cars with difficult to access batteries.

The weight is MUCH less, they are often smaller, and the smart feature "turns off" the battery if parasitic current drains drop it too low, so you can still start the car.
    Like this: https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/starter-batteries/automotive/

They cost more of course. Its only money, right?

Supposed 6 year life on ATV Li ION batteries vs 2 years with a good lead acid batt. At 2 years so far on the ATV batt w/ no problems.

Doug.

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Ouch, $800 is a lot for a battery. BUT, they are 30 lbs lighter? Is there any way to lose that much weight in the car quicker, cheaper, or easier?

(Thermoreactor owners, the answer might be "yes".)

21. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Fiberglass front bumper comes to mind, WRT to price ('79 car); easier, probably not. PLUS you are getting new battery that should last for many years, it isn't just a parts switch out for weigh savings.

The cheapest and easiest weigh saving i did was remove the spare tire and wheel. 30 seconds and 40 ish pounds, or maybe less pounds and I am just getting older and it felt that heavy. My wider 17" wheels don't fit in the spare tire compartment so i didn't see the need for a spare. Couple cans of flat fix and plug kit weighs a lot less.

For some reason making the GF ride home with a dirty wheel and tire on her lap didn't seem to be something that was going to happen.

Doug

22. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    You could also just carry around 4 fewer gallons of gas in your tank. Hard to get any easier than that.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    In my younger days, when impromptu street racing was only a stoplight away, I never had more than 1/4 tank of gas in any car I owned except when on a trip. No sense carrying that penalty weight! ;)