I got conned by an ad posted at UK Ferrari Owner's club (but not the club's fault!) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I got conned by an ad posted at UK Ferrari Owner's club (but not the club's fault!)

Discussion in '348/355' started by mymelody12, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Lots of scammers out there. I was looking for a bmw dash and posted in a salvage junkyard place. All I got was people trying to scam me. They were all so ridiculous that I didnt bite. The google images search helped vet a few. Good luck in your search.

mymelody12 likes this.
  2. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    thank you. i will search my direct msg inbox for his msg.

3. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Thank you. I definitely shld've checked here prior to sending money. Yiu guys are seasoned veterans.

thanks for sharing yoyr story..It helps me to raise my awareness.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

sending an email, I suspect.

D

5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    which date was this pls ? I also got scammed on Rennlist, who are finally upping their security at least, noting Rennlist and Ferrarichat have the same ultimate owner Internetbrands I understand. The sad part is that it has being going on for at least 18 months

6. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Hi Richard,
    This happened in late September this year.
    I am very sorry to hear similar happened to you. I hope damage was not too painful.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    A way to avoid getting scammed is to enlist the services of an escrow agent. If the seller objects beware.

mymelody12 likes this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    mymelody12 likes this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Super expensive....

10. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Hi ShineKen,
    I am based in Asia, so shipping logistics should be much easier with a Japanese manufacturer. Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciate it.

Yassa reached out to me and i am waiting for him to post photos. I don't think he received the wheels from Rob yet.

I am actually engaged in the following ebay ad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Challenge-Speedline-Felgensatz-348-F355/184603229483

do you think this would be a legit ad? Seller seems to be of a reputable ebay seller.

Thank you

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Legit or not I’d only send Paypal for an international transaction.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    At least with Walkersports it’s a company so you can pay with a credit card and get protection through you card. Not sure about where you are but in the uk that covers you generally up to £35k.

good luck in your search; the scams are getting very sophisticated these days and almost fell fowl of one myself the other month; fortunately I’m a grumpy old git and more than happy to just hang up on somebody!!!

mymelody12 likes this.
  15. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. I just wanted others to become more aware of immoral people doing bad things.
    This community has been very helpful.

I am now in dialogue with this person at ebay. He seems to have gathered good feedbacks over the years and looks legit so far.
    I may pull trigger if ebay protection gives me that needed comfort.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Challenge-Speedline-Felgensatz-348-F355/184603229483

In addition to above ebay, I am currently also engaged with a fchat community person who has a set in Germany for the same price.
    I would trust fchat member over ebay, but I am not sure about safest way to make transaction. Oversea wire is definitely not one as i learned the hard way haha.

16. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I haven't used one so don't have direct experience, but you could try an online escrow service. This is one: https://www.escrow.com/

mymelody12 likes this.
  17. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Thank you JJ.

18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I believe PayPal offers a level of protection, and if you pay using your credit card through it you should get further protection (if your credit cards are similar to here). Down side is there is a fee for the seller and unfortunately scams whereby the seller suffers not the buyer!!!!

good luck