458 - 458 vs keeping my 570s | FerrariChat

458 458 vs keeping my 570s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bundles of Probst, Mar 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bundles of Probst

Mar 6, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Marshall Thomas
    Hi all. New to this forum and would like input from Ferrari owners. I have 2019 Mclaren 570s cobalt violet Spyder and it is nearing its lease milage amount. I love it but occasional minor electric issues have cropped up under 10k miles that while not drive-limiting, are annoying. I have considered continuing in the Mclaren or pursuing an available 2011 458 Italia in Rosso corsa with 17k miles and one owner. It’s my childhood dream car. Driven both and they’re uniquely great for all the reasons already known. I have a 2020 R8 performance and 2018 Huracan supercharged and I alternately daily drive all of them. Torn on which direction to go.

Ivinsea likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Get the 458. You already scratched the Mclaren itch. Fulfill your dream.

DOWORKFCAR and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mclarens by and large are boring to me and lack any soul whatsoever.

The 458...especially a 2010/2011...is an event.

Get a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is all you need to know. The rest is just minutia.

5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This isn’t meant to be a McLaren vs Ferrari post, but I’ve seen you post this stuff before. Next time you’re in FL let me know and I’ll take you for a spin in my 720 on the street or a track. It’ll be an event and you’ll see how a car can be an extension of its driver in a very non-boring way. ;)

Sammi, epah, rsmitchell10 and 4 others like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I was thinking the same thing. My 720 is anything but boring. I love my ferrari and love my Mclaren. People need to open their minds. There can be more than one awesome car brand.

Sammi, epah, rsmitchell10 and 4 others like this.
  7. I'm not sure a 10 year old Ferrari will be any more reliable than a 2 year old McLaren.

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The 458 would appear dated in your situation; have you considered a 488?

rw99 likes this.
  9. Bundles of Probst

Mar 6, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Marshall Thomas
    Childhood dream and soul of Ferrari definitely weigh in heavy for me, in particular with the 458. It’s a classic. I’ll keep you posted. Thank for the feedback!

Sammi likes this.
  10. Bundles of Probst

Mar 6, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Marshall Thomas
    I have considered a 488 but haven’t driven one.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You seem to have answered your own query. The 458 it is.

12. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The 488's are brilliant! Go drive one.....

13. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  14. Bundles of Probst

Mar 6, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Marshall Thomas
    Very nice pix! Can’t go wrong with both at this point given the unique experience. Will drive a 488 but I think it’ll be the 458.

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ve almost come to loathe these car comparisons. They garner almost meaningless and highly personal responses. These cars all have their strengths and weaknesses. All of them. Some lucky to own or have driven more than one have their own likes - a certain car may sound better or be more agile, faster, or a better looker, better ergonomics, or age better, etc.

But in the end, it’s personal preference and the type of driving you intend it for. There shouldn’t be universal acclaim or disdain for a certain brand.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s your dream car. Go ahead and get the 458. It will probably depreciate more slowly than the McLaren. You can always get back into a Mac later. Newish 458s, not so much. And they’re not making naturally aspirated Ferraris anymore. So if you delay, you’re looking at an even older 458 or will go to turbo 488s and newer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Bundles of Probst

Mar 6, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Marshall Thomas
    The NA drew me to the Huracan and R8. For me, there’s nothing like it. It’s the 458! I’ll post pix, thanks all.

Need4Spd and Rexcat458 like this.
  18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Won't it be the case that the Mclaren will lose half its value in the next few years and the 458 will likely appreciate? Seems like an easy decision.

19. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave

600lt has reverse aging powers?:eek: Chalk that one up under pro column.

Sammi likes this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have you driven the 458?

I have not driven the 570S- but I have driven other McLaren- they drive great!

A big difference is the torque you will get- or are missing- in the 458. If you just love having that instant torque, you might find the 458 lacking. The 458 really needs revs to get at its power- which is what makes it exciting and dramatic for me. I love it, but its something you should experience and then decide.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    There is nothing practical or logical about buying a supercar. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. It's 100% about how they make you feel, and no one can tell you how you'll feel driving a 458 vs. a 570s or any other car.

If the 458 was a childhood dream car, then that's a pretty good indication that you'll feel great driving it. The F355 was my first dream car and then every mid-engine V8 that followed it up to the 458. I bought that. I never even test drove any other car because there was no reason to. I wanted to fulfill my dream.

Follow your heart. :p

Sammi, Caeruleus11 and cole328 like this.
  22. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I considered a beautiful 570GT before I purchased my 458. The dealer that had both cars told me that the only way that made sense to buy the McLaren was to be very close to a McLaren dealership.
    This implied to me that there would be issues that might create a real frustration
    with ownership. Living in Tennessee, where there is neither a Ferrari dealership or a McLaren dealership, it made sense to me to own the 458 due to its reliability. There are a few local shops that service most of the modern Ferrari’s and the shop where I have services performed have dealt with a handful of McLarens over the past few years. When I went for my last service, a low mileage, out of warranty 2016 570 was in the shop with a lot of the interior removed to fix an issue with the electronics. The mechanic told me that I had definitely made the right move.
    Again, I love McLarens, but I have had absolutely no problems with 458. Plus it is a beautiful car and an absolute blast to drive.

23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anecdotally I purchased my 720 brand new. It’s been in the shop four times in three years, two of those for scheduled service only. OP also had the benefit of leasing his first so I presume he’d know if it were a troubled example or not. I know some people get bad cars, ask me about my Cali (lol), but if you’re buying used you can forecast what you’re in for more by researching the specific vin you’re considering over the internet chatter. If you see a car (vin) had been in the shop constantly it doesn’t take Kreskin to see what you’re future is likely to hold!

Sammi likes this.
  24. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    Exactly. I have had both and like both. You need a sense of humor to own the 570s because electrical things always go wrong....and then correct themselves. Both are great drivers on the road. Neither should be used on the track in stock form. But the economics to dictate the 458

25. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Get the last aspirated Ferrari V8 458 Speciale. That's money in the bank. Plus the specs are completely different than the 458