Pioneer KE4300 | FerrariChat

Pioneer KE4300

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JW1406, Mar 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JW1406

JW1406 Rookie

Mar 7, 2017
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You should thank me, I just drove your radio up to $130! It's got the SW band which the originals did not have, but it's close enough. I have a new equalizer for this radio so if who ever is bidding on this falls through, contact me through the "conversations" link.

3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    George - does your equalizer have the ferrari logo, or is it a plain jane? I just got in a very nice equalizer without the logo, that I was seriously thinking of buying a CAR to fit it in. I still MAY get the car.

4. Bknblk

Bknblk Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh Toby
    I can pull my original Pioneer and equalizer if you're serious about your strategy to buy a Boxer! Just see Chassis #39527.

5. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Hello JW1406,
    I noticed from your profile you posted a Pioneer KE-4300 with a manual in March 2017. Is this the same radio?

From your current e-bay ad, photo the backlight (the light that illuminates the tuning scale) is not functioning. Is that correct? How about all other functions on the radio/cassette are they functional? Why are you not taking returns?

I previously purchased two Pioneer KE-4300's. Both were sourced from the UK through e-bay, but priced based off using them as backup spare parts for the original Belgium Made ( not Made in Japan) Pioneer KE-4300 in my Ferrari 512 BBi. I did not purchase them for an excessive price or with the intentions to flip them for profit because they were fitted to Ferrari 512 bbi's.

As with any "old school " electronics from the 70's-80's, the capacitors are now failing due to time in these devices so one day they work , one day they don't.

To all 512 BBi owners, be careful what you buy. Before you pay big bucks, make sure the item has been professionally serviced and the seller can back it with receipts.

Just noticing more e-bay sellers attempting to ride the Ferrari 512bbi "gravy train" if there is one.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Just for general info and awareness. The original BBi radio is allocated with type number KE-4300B and so are the user manual. There are a few differences between the quite ordinary KE-4300 and the very rare KE-4300B model; Among other things the color of the fascia and the horsey. Most of the internals are interchangeable though. I have never seen an original KE-4300B for sale without a car surrounding it.

Best, Peter

versamil and George Vosburgh like this.
  7. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I believe my equalizer does have the logo, I'd have to pull it out of the box to be sure.

8. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Correct Peter.
    This was brought up on a previous thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bbi-pioneer-ke-4300-radio-repair-101.168098/
    A non "KE-4300B" should not be advertised as a direct replacement for the 512bbi. At the most, the internals might be interchanged as spare parts but that's about it. The tuning scale on the correct "KE-4300B should read as shown within the attached thread, not the advertised aftermarket Pioneer KE-4300.
    The advertised might be good as spare parts, or an aftermarket radio.

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Dave, I read the initial thread, lot's of great stuff! I don't understand why guys pull these units out of the cars and I'd love to know what happens to them when they do. I looked at the BBi at Continental a few years ago and it had the original radio which did not work when I tried it. I saw some recent pictures of the car still at the dealership, some idiot pulled the original radio out! "The car will be worth more with a new radio"!

10. JW1406

JW1406 Rookie

Mar 7, 2017

Hi. Yes back in 2017 I purchased a Porsche and it had a genuine Ferrari KE4300 radio complete with the prancing horse logo. It sold on ebay for about $1200 if I remember correctly. Since then I have always kept an eye out for them. The one I have now is a different unit and obviously does not have the correct fascia. If anyone buys it and wants to return it I have no problem with that. Regardless of ebay settings the buyer can always request a return. Checked and was found to be in working order. Thanks

11. 401rpg

401rpg Karting

Oct 25, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    4300B

made in Belgium (not Japan).

There is an Italian restorer that has gone bust.

I’m in the process of buying the whole collection.

Although I’ve got to buy the whole lot to get the refurbished ferrari BB ones.

Could be a risk - but so far it’s looking good.

These may be the only BB radios without a car attached ?

Will keep you informed.

Ralph

Attached Files:

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What are you asking for one?

13. 401rpg

401rpg Karting

Oct 25, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Hi there

I haven’t got a BB (although I do have one or 2 cars).

I think if (or when) I get the radios…..

I’ll have them tested / belts changed and simply put them on eBay. (With a video link to YouTube so you can see it/them work).

I’d obviously rather it/they were collected from me personally in London.

The moment I know 100% I’ve bought the collection (and received it)- I’ll post it on ferrari chat.

As for the value - I haven’t a clue. My chaps haven’t seen one for sale for a very long time.

So probably Ebay with no reserve will be the future.

I’ll give you a shout.

If somebody wises to make an offer before ebay that would be fine.

I’ll keep you informed.

Cheers Ralph

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  14. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

These radios are like hens teeth. It's crazy that people continue to take them out of the cars.

15. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    radiomanrepair.com refurbishes these units. He did a nice job on mine. Mike. Also, you can have someone silk screen the unit with the cavalino.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  16. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I discover this thread.
    Based in France, I just acquired a KE-4300 for my "new" 512BBi which had no one.
    The tuner section works OK.
    On the K7 side, I changed the belt which was loose (not driving) and is maybe slightly tight now.
    But when I plug in the K7, the motor drives OK at reading speed, but the reading head doesn't "plunge" in the magnetic band to play, but oscillates front/rear by some 2 mm as if some coil or relay was in continuous cut in/cut off.
    If I help with a small screwdriver the head's support to plunge in, it drives well and the sound is fine.
    If I accelerate with the dedicated knob, it speeds up well but when back to normal reading, again the head oscillates.
    Does any member have any idea on the symptom, so that I could fix up myself?
    Or does anyone knows someone in Europe knowing well and able to repair, because after preliminary search Blaupunkt repair is easy but Pioneer, no one really knows.
    thanks a lot for your help,
    Jean-Paul

17. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    hi,
    I follow up my #16 message because, unfortunately, I had no feedback.
    Probably it confirms that it is not an easy problem.
    Having looked to some information on K7 players, it could be the "impulse counter" which is in default and puts the reading head in "safe rearwards position" with the electro-magnet which appears to be continuously in on/off position.
    Furthermore, after couple of contacts, I didn't found any 80s Pioneer K7 technician...
    So any information always welcomed.
    thanks,
    Jean-Paul

18. 401rpg

401rpg Karting

Oct 25, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    I have a Ferrari BB Pioneer KE-4300 that I don’t need.

However I can’t send the link to advertise its sale on Ferrari chat because it’s against the rules.

The audio Center I use for repair is https://www.autoaudio.uk.com/home.php

I don’t think this is against the rules. R

19. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks Ralph for the audio center connection.
    I saw your KE-4300B on eBay, but already at 1250€, duties and port incl. for EU, whereas I am looking to repair mine for some bucks...
    Best,
    Jean-Paul