What about Roma? | FerrariChat

What about Roma?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Principissimo, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Hi to all of you!

Yesterday I've been offered a Roma only three months old and with 300 miles on it.

Now here the question to owners: ho is it compared to 458 or 488? I had them both and so, till now, did not bought the F8 considering it too similar.
    Roma is growing on me but still not sure.

Thanks

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’ll track mine next week and tell you. My belief is it will be substantially less nimble and responsive. Worse braking and turning. Less torque and acceleration. It is, after all, a GT car rather than a true sports car. It is not intended to compete with those other two cars. Having said that, I have also read flattering reports questioning if it is “too good.” My belief is those are written by car review writers intent upon flattering the car makers.

After a few hundred miles street driving passively I find no reason to think it compares to a 458 or 488. I’ll drive it eight hours on public roads Monday so should experience more driving situations and requirements.

I like the car because it looks quite different from most current Ferraris. It has the public snapping their heads. I particularly enjoy passing the Teslas with this beautiful Bianco Fuji car.

RamsHmb, Caeruleus11, aepma and 3 others like this.
  3. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'd be really interested to get your impressions of the Roma on the track.

aepma likes this.
  4. aepma

aepma Rookie

Jul 24, 2013
    Europe
    Please keep us updated on this

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    It mission is a Grand Tourer. Not meant for the track. You want track, buy another model!

lucasines and Nicolas21 like this.
  6. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  7. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thanks to all for helping.

I've even heard of some electronic issues. How's the situation?

8. Ppu

Ppu Rookie

Feb 17, 2020
    Germany
    There are no electronic issues. I drove 1,000 km with the car and everything is just fine. Sound is great (60-70 db in automatic cruise mode and >80 db in manual with higher rev), handling and acceleration is cool (there is still enough power when I accelerate beyond 200 km/h), design is Perfect and Display & ADAS elevates the Roma to a daily driver. Only the Apple Car Play connection fails sometimes and the matrix light needs some practice to switch it on.

Phoenixmontreal and aepma like this.
  9. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thank a lot ;)

Ppu likes this.
  10. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Completely understand the Roma is a GT. The track is the best place to explore the cars limites and learn about its performance. Once I receive my Roma I'll probably do 1-2 track days just for that reason. I've tracked cars for over 20 years, including amature racing for 10 years.I tracked my Scud twice for the same reason.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not even close to the performance and feel of a 488. It primarily a GT.

No way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    But it does subjectively feel faster than my 458... better low end torque. More comfy for sure. Better electronics in most ways by far. Still an excellent engine note as well.

SV

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is faster than a 458. More hp and loads more torque. But nowhere near the speed of a 488 or F8.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. ptriggs_official

May 7, 2020
    When I got my 488 and heard the F8 was faster I really couldn’t believe it - just because the 488 is so fast I’m just not sure how something could be faster . . . but having tested it and then ordering one, it actually is - I also like the design, particularly the rear end, better. I also ordered the Roma but as my winter daily driver (not on snow days just during the colder months here in the Northeast US). I can fit one child in the back, one in front, and for short drives, both in back and wife in front. I was surprised when I got it to test for a bit at how fast it was - felt as close to rear engine as you can get given it’s obviously not rear engine. I also happen to think it’s the best looking car they’ve made in awhile but that’s purely subjective. I always thought AM should have produced the DB10 and it reminds me of that so much that I was sold on the design alone even before driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Phoenixmontreal and aepma like this.
  15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I have tracked a Roma. It is an extremely well-balanced car and I was pleasantly surprised at how at home it felt on track. It really feels light on its feet and its power is more than adequate.

I get to drive all of Ferrari's current models and most of their past models as well and the Roma really hits a sweet spot in my opinion. It does everything well. If you are planning to use it as a daily driver I am confident you will look forward to driving it each and every day. If you do ever get the chance to track it you will see it feels right at home there as well.

16. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Your help is really precious my friends!

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think given your profile and watch collection, the right car for you is the Pista Spider :)

18. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I try to stay away from too fast models: had problems with my license cause of the Huracan Performante :(

Andynyc and aepma like this.
  19. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    Has anyone compared how the Roma drives and handles compared to the Portofino?

20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Which Ferrari/Lamborghini today is not too fast?
    That aside, I think Roma might be a great fit for you as its setup to be a GT.

21. ptriggs_official

May 7, 2020
    I have - both great cars, both surprisingly different. With respect to convertibles, I’m comparing to my wife’s Cali 30, so it’s a huge upgrade in all ways - I still love the Cali but I like the Porto much better in all ways (except engine note but that is what it is and Porto still sounds great). That said, we didn’t order one - just because we like the Cali just fine. The Roma, which we did order, felt entirely different to me - shockingly responsive steering for a GT, felt stronger push in acceleration (almost rear engine-esque, not sure how they did that), and more nimble. The biggest difference I noticed, and I’m not a particularly fast driver on the street, was in turns where I did feel the Roma just went into them with a lot more directness. Both great cars though . . .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private

Yep. Confirmed. Speedy but heavy. Certainly not a competitor to the Pista, but it was never intended to be that.

On track I just didn’t want to abuse it like you would need to in order to wrangle a good track time out of it. The extra weight and street brakes just are not what the Pista or Speciale have, of course.

The cool thing is on the street, it’s very sporty. Nice smoothish rapid acceleration in stop light and go traffic situations. Reasonable torque. Nice sound. Confident.

Not a luxury GT ride like a Wraith, but again, not designed to be. The shorter wheel base was less apparent comparing this car’s drive to the Lusso than was the Portofino. I liked this car more on an 8 hour drive than I did the Portofino.

If you’ve never tracked a car and think this one will do, I’d say no. But it is a very beautiful and sporty street car.

23. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Any camber and toe thoughts from those who’ve tracked their Roma? It’s an incredibly capable car on track and a decent driver will surprise many. I need to corner balance mine and am planning -2.5 camber all around if possible and slight toe out front, neutral rear to start for a street/track alignment.

24. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No input for you but I’m keen to follow any discussion!

Best,

SV