430 - F430 first track day impressions | FerrariChat

430 F430 first track day impressions

Discussion in '360/430' started by drmc, Feb 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I purchased an F430 spider about 1-year ago and just got my first chance to drive it on a track, so thought I’d write up my quick impressions.

Car is stock except for an S-line exhaust and a Sparco bucket seat. I ran the tyre pressure at 32 psi hot which was about 28 psi cold (Michelin PS 4S, track temp 23c). Track is Phillip Island in Victoria, Australia.

To sum up the F430 in one word: EPIC FUN!! (two words but whatever)

I’ve driven my 997.1 Carrera S, BMW 1M and 2017 Mustang GT previously on the same track and, though lap time wise all cars were all pretty similar, I found the F430 to be the most exhilarating car of the bunch. The rawness of the F-car is kind of a love hate thing for me while street driving, but as soon as I put it on the track it all made sense.

As I gained confidence through the day I switched the manettino from sport to race which enabled me to pull these huge Chris Harris type slides. Ok, that’s not exactly true but it really loosened the car up – the tail felt ‘light’ like it was just dancing around the corner and may break loose at any point. Around the hairpins I could do these tiny drifts like you do in go-karts. By the end of the day my face hurt from smiling so much.

Downsides: the suspension is definitely too soft, but being a street car I certainly wouldn’t swap the springs out for the stiffer scud ones. Also the car was a little understeery when pushed hard into a corner. Finally, tracking a convertible when you’re 6’5 and your head sticks out the top of the car is a concerning, but hey, what’s life without a little risk?

I’ve driven the car up some mountain roads previously, but after experiencing it on the track, I can say that I didn’t really understand the car until now. I’d highly recommend anyone that hasn’t tracked their F-car to give it a shot. I drove at maybe 7 / 10ths of my driving ability (which is probably 2 / 10ths of the cars ability) which I figure inflicts negligible wear and tear on the car and provides no more chance of crash then a leisurely drive to the shops (famous last words).

As a random side note, how cool would it be if Ferrari had made the Pista with a manual box? Ahhh a man can dream!

POV lap:

2. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Wonderful video, thank you for sharing. Your F430 really sings running around Phillip Island. What a nice track to have access to with your F-car.

drmc likes this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lovely to see! Ive done phillip island many times also

drmc likes this.
  4. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    ... Jaleous ... Love watching the races on TV. Never been to Australia but this seems to be an really AWESOME track....

drmc likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    3-pedal!! Beautiful setting. Thanks for posting.

drmc likes this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    VERY cool....it also always weirds me out to see someone shifting with their left hand...seems so unnatural to us americans. But you were like butter on the gearbox,,,nicely done! Can't wait to go home tonight and back mine out of the garage for a nice early evening drive. ENjoy!

drmc likes this.
  7. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This is a beautiful track, scenery, and great video. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

drmc likes this.
  8. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Kudos all around. What a beautiful sight and sound.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

drmc likes this.
  9. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Fantastic! Excellent video, great quality, well done

The driving was sublime

I haven't tracked yet but am considering, how is it that you had the track to yourself? Apologies if that's a newbie question.

10. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Look at that surface: amazing.
    Did you get a specific alignment for the track?

11. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Great pilot Enjoyed the vid thanks for sharing

12. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I do the Phillip Island track days through a company called drive events - $350 for the entire day and you get 6 x 15 minute runs with maybe 5-10 people on the track at the same time as you (numbers decrease through the day and it's not uncommon to have the track to yourself by the end of the day!).

When I purchased the car I had it lowered about 1" all round and dialled in a more aggressive alignment but I kept scraping the nose on driveways so i went back to stock everything.

brookliner7 likes this.