preferred car wash | FerrariChat

preferred car wash

Discussion in '308/328' started by bill brooks, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i recently discovered that the "mr. clean carwash system" is no longer available.
    that's all i've used on gabriella since i purchased her in 2007.
    i was always impressed with the water finish after a cleaning. i have fairly hard water here.
    i never had to chamois her after a bath. the mr.clean system did as advertised.

assuming the reports are true, what do you folks use for a spot-free rinse with no chamoising?

i also have a 2016 baby benz with an orange peal finish the germans would cringe over. (USA made?)
    i'm reluctant to hand dry for the same reasons except benz seems to have a tougher paint
    that glasurit never had. i had a little 2002 with glasurit paint. it was less than ideal. certainly not detroit quality.

the benz water spots after washing, drive me nuts. but i hate using any hand-drying on the finish after a wash.

mind you, i only wash the ferrari maybe 1/yr. unless filthy. ..... seldom encountered.
    the benz is the daily driver although seldom used. but gets filthier than gabriella!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I decide to buy a battery portable power washer and use distilled water in the container ..

Unfortunately I don't believe sunjoe makes it anymore

I another method i haven't used is a good weed sprayer filled with distilled water for the final rinse on finish

Then either method use leaf blower after

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I used this product for years:http://softwetspot.com NO, I am NOT affiliated!

There are other brands of essentially the same thing that may be a better size/price for very light duty work - like washing a Ferrari occasionally.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

To be honest, I only wash my cars a couple of times a year. Never drive in the rain so it really never gets that dirty. When I do wash it, I believe that the method used is more important than any of the cleaning chemicals involved. Three bucket method reduces the likelihood of damaging the paint.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The Wetsoft system, and others of the same design will eliminate water spotting if your area has hard water. It requires recharging with salt every "X" gallons, depending on the model size. I had the smallest one and it required recharging - a 10 minute job - after 700 gallons.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My cars all have ceramic coating. I wash them with Griot’s soap and then a 5 minute blow off with an electric leaf blower. Never a spot or a swirl mark and it’s done in no time.

7. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I got this last summer and love it...just rinse the car down and walk away. No drying and no water spots. A friend owned one and swore by it...but I was skeptical so I put it to the test on my black e28 M5. It was very difficult to walk away from a black wet car sitting in the sun but I came back an hour later and couldn't believe it...no water spots!! I use it all the time now.

Portable, Home DIY Deionized Car Wash Water System for Sale | Simple Chuck

waymar likes this.
  8. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    UPDATE: for anyone interested........

i found the "mr.clean auto wash system" on amazon. after contacting mr.clean, they changed
    the name of this product. and yes they had discontinued it for awhile.
    once again, they still make their carwash followed by their spot-free filtered rinse.

glad to know. i was on my last bottle. and the filtering de-ionizer canister was beat.

i found another de-ionizer while hunting for the "mr.clean" system. plugs into your hose
    upstream of your sprayer. i've not used it yet. supposedly it's good for 20 uses of fine-mist rinising.

as far as caring for gariella over the years..... i had her detailed 2yrs. ago.( 1st time in 13yrs.) the detailer commented
    on her nice appearance prior to him starting his job. he was impressed . i will say, after getting her
    back from the detailer, i was blown away with her appearance! the good detailers are amazing!!
    i can't take credit for the end result.

once again, i feel that if your glasurit-painted car is excessively filthy, i would keep my hands off of her
    during and after any washings. i will also be a heretic and state NEVER WAX unless you're a pro!

lem321 likes this.