Repainting plenum chamber | FerrariChat

Repainting plenum chamber

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Mar 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Hi all, I'm considering repainting my QV's plenum chamber and throttle body, and wondered if there are any gotchas I should be aware of? And would I be advised to replace anything other than the 4 intake gaskets and the throttle body gasket as part of the process?

Thanks, Ray.

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
  3. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Many thanks! I hadn't noticed this one before.

4. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    I am a fan of powder coating. I had my plenum done about a year ago and the powder coater had the correct color and the correct finish. He also nicely cleaned the areas which are not intended to be colored. Total cost $150.

thorn likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Haven't done the plenum, but have had the cam and valve covers powder coated. Quite happy with the result.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you're going to paint put a light coat of self-etching primer on first otherwise it's just gonna flake off like the original did. The VHT crinkle works well.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't do it in the car like I did in 2002. :D It was a good job and thought I put out plenty of newspaper and sheet coverings on the car, but still got a bunch of overspray on the paint. :) it was outdoors and wind was blowing the mist around I guess.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Can it be painted with a paintbrush using VHT crinkle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    REALLY excellent point! The VHT crinkle red spray paint sends out a fine mist of paint globules that travels wet and gets onto everything nearby, much moreso than conventional spray paint. I suspect that's part of the crinkle chemistry. I have a dehumidifier in my shop that's now red and had to repaint the whole floor. (Not aware of a brush-on crinkle product.)

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not sure if you could brush it on, I guess in theory it could work. The whole idea behind crinkle finish is to cover a less than pristine surface so you wouldn't have to worry about brush marks, when it crinkles up it covers all of the imperfections. There are a number of videos on YouTube describing how to decant spray paint and put it in a jar, not that hard to do though it appears it would require a bit of nerve LoL! You could give it a try.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks so much! I just know myself and know there is no way I could spray it on and not mess it up and get spray paint everywhere! Also removing the plenum from the 458 is like a 10 hour laborious job so I would like to just apply the paint with a brush with the plenum still in the car!

12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #13 BLACK HORSE, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Yeah remonlineoving the plenum was kinda pain, especially if you don't have the deck lid removed, its extreamly hard on the back... but if you do decide to remove it, don't drop the small bushings down inside the air manifolds... To get the crinkle just right, heat must be applied after a few coats of the VHT paint with a heat gun, or exposed in the hot sun for a few hours. Also keep one thing in mind is that the VHT red crinkle paint is more like a orange tent of red, which I resprayed with Ferrari 300 red paint over the crinkle paint after to make it like the original when it left the factory. If you look at the pics I posted, the first pic is just with the VHT paint and the third one is with the 300 paint after... there's a big differences! I found paint company that offers the Ferrari 300 in a spray can but it wasn't cheap!

Du_Man likes this.
  13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    VHT looks too orange to me. Your mileage and opinion may vary, of course. :)

14. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks. Where can we buy the Ferrari 300 paint in a spray can?

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I got it at Ned's Auto Body Supply they can make you a single use two part spray but it'll cost you about $35. In my case I blew it by applying too soon after the VHT and it melted all the crinkles. I think you need to wait a while for the VHT to really set up. Ask Blackhorse, he has a real knack for this stuff.

16. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    www.automotivetouchup.com