What to do with chromed 328 wheels | FerrariChat

What to do with chromed 328 wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave Bertrand, Mar 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I just bought an 89 328 GTS. The previous owner had the original convex wheels chromed, which I don't care for, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I much prefer the original finish. The options I'm considering are:

1. Sell the wheels to someone else who likes the chrome, or who might want to use them as track wheels, and replace them with a new or used set in the original finish. This would be easiest, and wouldn't result in any downtime because I can just have the tires remounted on the new wheels when I get them, then sell the chrome ones.

2. Have the wheels stripped and refinished as original. This might save a little money over option 1 (because selling the chrome ones would offset the cost of a replacement set), but the car would be out of commission during the process and the resulting finish probably wouldn't be quite as good as brand new ones.

3. Scuff them up and repaint them myself. I know this wouldn't be durable for very long, and would have to be redone periodically, but it's certainly the cheapest option, and would be quick and easy without even having to remove the tires.

I'm leaning toward option 1, but I wonder if there's anyone out there who would be interested in chromed wheels. The pool of potential buyers is fairly small I assume, since convex wheels were only used on 88.5 and 89 cars. I suppose someone might want to buy them and refinish them themselves.

What do you guys think?

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Have them refinished by a pro, powder coat factory color or scrap them, its that simple.

Thank you,

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Without even seeing them my eyes bleed :eek:

I agree with Option 1: just get rid of them and find replacements

Jedi

thorn likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not that easy:
    - OEM new rears are easily available, last time I looked they were at about € 300 apiece.
    - BUT new fronts are NLA; first you have to find a pair, which is not easy and might take a few months, then you have the price: as they are No Longer Available, when you find a pair, the price usually hurts...
    (and don't buy "Mondial" fronts instead: these are exactly the same in dimensions, offset, etc...which is normal, as the 88 1/2 & 89 328s and the "Mondial" have the same front suspension; but the "Mondial" wheels don't have the "Ferrari 7'00 X 16'00" cast in raised script)

Rgds

Nicolas21 likes this.
  5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks - but you quoted me not the guy trying to make the decision. ;):)

It's not my car and not my call to make.

Jedi

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Nope, here is my car. Actually the wheels look a lot better in person than in pics, but chrome just isn't to my liking.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kidasters and Jedi like this.
  8. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The 89 convex fronts are still available. it's the more common 86-88 fronts that are NLA. Also, the 89 rears are about 1200 Euros now.

I can get a complete set of new OEM 89 wheels from any of the usual USA parts suppliers for a bit over $4500 USD. Even if I can only get $1k for my chrome set, the net $3500 cost is not too much more than what I guestimate it would cost to refinish the ones I have. But I haven't talked to a pro wheel refinisher yet so I can't be sure. My biggest question right now is whether anyone would want to buy the chrome ones. They'd make great track wheels if nothing else. Aside from being chrome they're in great shape.

9. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    My guess is 1k for those wheels is optimistic. I think they look cool though!

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Perhaps in the US, but in Europe, situation is as follows:
    - the Convex fronts (= 137079) are "No Longer Available" new, and have been so for quite a few years now: have just checked at the minute, "Maranello Classic Parts" list them as "Price On Application", which means "NLA". And if Maranello Classic Parts does not have them, nobody has, as they have the original factory stock of parts. So if you can get them new, by any means do not hesitate (check the usual providers first).
    - the Convex Rears (= 130905) are easily available, and have been discounted "on special offer" for years: I got two for € 250 each, excluding VAT, a few years ago; "Maranello Classic Parts" has them on special offer this morning for GBP 540 each, excluding VAT. That means about 800 euros VAT included, each.

I changed the full set of wheels for my '89 GTB for 1.600 euros in 2012, all four wheels OEM, new, delivered at home...times are changing...

Rgds

11. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Rats...you were right. The supplier websites show they can be ordered, but a couple of phone calls confirmed the fronts are indeed NLA. Now option 2 is looking better. So all you 89 owners who were hoping to score a set of chrome rims, you may be out of luck :(

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You might find that to be a challenge...

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I kind of like them! Can't say better than the silver stock finish, but not as bad as people are suggesting. Are they actually chromed, or are they polished? Chroming aluminum can cause the metal to embrittle, so usually not recommended. The Ferrari is some sort of unusual alloy that does not necessarily powder coat well either, and the heat of powdercoating is not great for the alloy which has been heat treated.

14. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I think some wheel company needs to start making cast aluminum replicas.
    They are actually chrome, not polished. I hope the process didn't weaken the wheels, and that a pro will be able to strip and refinish them.

15. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I believe you're right, but if I can't find a really nice replacement set I won't be selling them anyway.

16. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just repaint them. Not a particularly difficult task for anyone handy with a spray gun and some "elbow grease" to clean, prep and scuff properly such that primer and paint will adhere properly. I have done some myself and the result was indistinguishable from a factory finish. Definitely would be the most cost effective solution. ps, my 348 came to me with chromed original wheels

mike996 and Dave Bertrand like this.
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    In that case, the silver factory color for these wheels is "Argento 101" (Glasurit paint).
    The primer is very important on these wheels, otherwise they won't hold air.

Rgds

Dave Bertrand and Saabguy like this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Option 2, then maybe number 3.

20. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So you were the one that bought #ZFFXA20A0K0080968. I had my eye on it! :) Beautiful car. Enjoy it in good health my friend. :) By the way. One of the things that kept me from making a timely offer on the car was the same issue with the Wheels/rims.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    THIS amount of chrome I like. It compliments the 328's design. :)

miketuason likes this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I had this exact car and exact thing, except that the chrome original wheels came as a spare set. So I had the chrome removed by a plater, then repainted the wheels. Afterward, I sold the HRE wheel set for a good sum. All is well.

23. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    John, what kind of primer did you use? Self etching? Did you scuff with sandpaper, steel wool, or something else? I know I can make these look good, but adhesion/durability is my biggest concern.

I've found out the factory paint was Glasurit FER 101/C Argento Nurburgring, same as the silver body color offered in the 80's. Paintscratch can supply spray cans, or I can have some mixed locally at an automotive paint supplier.

Saabguy likes this.
  24. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yep, I confess! I bought the Bobileff car. I flew out to see it last Friday. Gary Bobileff showed me around the car and around his AMAZING facility, filled with eye candy. I counted 5 (five!) Lambo Miuras in there, 4 of which were in early stages of restoration. A cool looking Urraco in the parking lot, and about a dozen other Italian exotics in the shop. I wish I had taken pics. Gary is an outstanding guy to deal with.

The wheels definitely looked better in person than in the pictures, but I'm a big fan of originality.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    For What it is Worth...my two cents, etc...from a french owner of a black '89 GTS also (#80515, not too far from yours)...(and a red '89 GTB)
    Frankly & honestly: don't rush, take your time, look at the options you might find. Those chromed wheels are not that bad, really.

Rgds

Jakuzzi and Dave Bertrand like this.