458 - New to me 2013 458 Spider | FerrariChat

458 New to me 2013 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert Collins, Mar 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Hey guys! First post here...new to the board and new to the world of Ferrari. Been a Porsche/BMW/Audi guy forever and finally bought my new 458 Spider after a year of research and shopping. Bought a red on black Audi R8 Spyder in 2015 and finally decided to trade it in on this new toy.

Totally in love with the car. The options list is sick and I love the color combo...I had to have Rosso Corsa over black with red accents. I got exactly what I wanted.

I have to figure out the flickering right TFT screen but I 'm already making progress on that and that's the only issue the car has. If anyone has dealt with that recently I'd appreciate feedback. I've heard I can ship it to a Ferrari dealer and they will remove and repair the unit, but we shall see. I hope it's only an old battery or it needs a hard reset. It has an replacement interstate battery so I am assuming its not old.

Her stablemates are still German, my Cayenne Turbo S (red on black), my 1996 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo (red on black) and my 2002 BMW E46 Active Autowerke Supercharged Beast (topaz blue on gray). This 458 has a completely different personality on the road than any of my German cars. I love the way they all drive, but the 458 is so different and unique I am just enjoying the hell out of it.

Any, looking forward to being a part of this forum!

Robert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    My 2014 458 Spider is also Rosso Corsa over Nero. Is that red piping on the seats to go along with red stitching? It looks great. Interesting to not have yellow Scuderia shields to go with the yellow brake calipers. I couldn't see the color of the rev counter, yellow? The red seat belts are a nice touch.

Enjoy your 458!

Rob

3. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Rob,
    Thanks for your reply.

The original owner ordered the car, red stitching everywhere, including on the doors, dash, seats also with the red piping on the seats, red piping on the mats and the red seat belts to match it. You would think the gauge would be red (LOL) but it's yellow, which I love.

I would have ordered the car myself with the shields, but the original owner ordered it specifically without the shields. From my BMW/Porsche days, I assume he was "de-badging" it for looks and stealth. I am guessing this makes this car fairly unique as the shields are more often than not on the car when yellow brakes are custom ordered. I was told I can order the Scuderia factory stickers to have installed on the car, but I do not know if those are accepted or laughed at in the Ferrari community since I am brand new so I am likely to leave it as is until I acclimate to being a Ferrari owner. It's gorgeous without them, so I am not sure I would add them anyway, but I AM a huge fan of the shields. I mean, hell, if you own a Ferrari, what's wrong with proudly displaying the badge? Nonetheless, I am good with it for now!

Cheers!
    Robert

rob5819 likes this.
  4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I wouldn't add after market shields if I were you. You can't really be "stealth" in a red 458 Spider, no matter how hard you try. I'm doing a Portofino M build for my wife. I was playing with red stitching vs. red piping. After seeing your seats I am definitely doing both.

Rob

Robert Collins likes this.
  5. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    Congrats and welcome! Love those floor mats. My 458 interior is Nero with red stitching as well but mats are black. May have to add those to my list.
    I gave up on the quirky stereo and had a hidden Bluetooth unit, amp and speakers installed. Didn’t touch the dash

6. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Yeah, the aftermarket shields are a 90% no, but I wanted to ask the community so thank you. If the shields aren't recessed into the sheet metal it's not the same.

I wasn't necessarily a "piping" fan, but when done right and tastefully, I think it adds a measure of color that really draws the very subtle red stitching out of the seats. Otherwise, it can almost go unnoticed. The piping helps draw it out. Enjoy the Portofino M!

7. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    PappyDew, thanks for your comments! I would LOVE to know what you did about the stereo. You can respond here or private message or email me. I have already ordered the Bovee Bluetooth dongle that allows you to control music with the factory controls and it shows artist, album, title of track on the TFT screen, but that doesn't fix the glitch in the screen. The glitch is minor at this point, but I have read it can get worse, so that's probably going to have to get fixed as I am a perfectionist and don't want it driving me crazy...lol.

Let me know about your setup for the stereo. I am thinking more bass for the stereo for sure and have a friend who ordered an amp and a sub that matches the factory leather and red stitching. Awesome!

8. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    #8 rob5819, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Best of luck with the Bovee. I've tried three separate times and I will just say keep your expectations low. It works for some, but disappoints most. Plenty of great threads discussing the (few) successes and (mostly) failures with the Bovee. At least it's only about $80. For $13 there is a fairly interesting FM transmitter that most people thinks works better. I enjoy the hard drive and use the iPod connection for my 2005 iPod Nano 1st generation with no complaints.

Edit to add, here is the most recent discussion: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2013-458-spider-bluetooth-audio-question.633536/#post-147613846.

Rob

9. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    I will keep my expectations real with the Bovee. I have one in the R8 and it is FLAWLESS, but I also realize Ferraris are a different animal. Not necessarily known for the media interface...ugh. I have several old iPod Nanos and also not afraid to download my favorite songs to the HD. What format do they require? I have NOT read up yet on how to get music into the HD.

I was surprised that the previous owner left six discs in the disc drive and a few of them were DVD movies which actually play on the damn TFT screen! Is that normal?

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I took the Bovee out of my 2014 458 Spider and put it in a 2006 Mercedes CLK we were giving to family and it worked flawlessly in the Mercedes. In the 458 I had to disconnect/reconnect every time. For some people it works, for most people it requires disconnect/reconnect.

Copying music to the hard drive is easy. I posted instructions on a thread somewhere. I'll find it and copy here (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-bovee-bluetooth.635944/).

My 458 had a CD in the drive for beginner Italian. Never thought of putting a DVD in and trying to play it. Amazing.

Rob

11. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I also own a 2013 Spider in Grigio Titanio over Cuoio. The red/black is classic. Enjoy your new acquisition.

12. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Stunning. Did you consider the 488 or have your heart set on the 458?

13. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Thanks Spezia!

14. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Yes I considered a 488, and even drove the F8 Tributo on a track day in Las Vegas where they really let you drive it. In the end I love the looks of the 458 and since my other three fun cars are either turbos or supercharged, I wanted to stay with the NA from the V10 R8 Spyder to this car.

15. dave360

dave360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    David Caldwell
    Incredible car Robert, enjoy!

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

17. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Thanks 3points!

18. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III

19. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    beauty, enjoy it!

20. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Brilliant to know. How much faster is the 488 in real world situations? None track?

21. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Hey, unplug; go for a drive; no interconnects needed................................................

22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful. Congratulations!

23. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Baitschev and Robert Collins like this.
  24. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Axles, those were the actual seats I was looking for but so hard to find. I was determined to get the racing seats, but once I sat in the Daytona with red stitching and piping, I was like, why not?!? Gorgeous car!

axlesofevil likes this.
  25. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Well I only drove the F8 on the track and with an instructor there was no 0-60 runs...all smooth until we started doing laps. We did get up to 120-125 on the front straight before braking and diving for the Apex, and it kept pulling like a freight train on every straight!

I honestly haven't had much time with my car yet, but I'll get there this week and after spring break. The F8 was FAST, but so is the 458!

430jm likes this.