Complete 812 Exhaust install | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Complete 812 Exhaust install

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by jjc, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I do care about people around me and have the full decat system. Though I have a lot of loud cars, and originally was extremely concerned of people's impressions--but at present I do not give this much consideration and leave people to feel how they wish. Even at stock the cars are louder than many. Obviously louder with the exhaust.

2. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    Add to this argument, This isn't the old days anymore anything done to tamper with the emissions or operation of late model computer controlled vehicles will have adverse effects on the performance & could cause thousands in damage & diminish the resale value of an expensive vehicle.I wouldn't ever consider buying a modified vehicle for that reason.

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    That's a pretty strong set of statements. Many exhaust mods will reduce back pressure and actually increase performance, although that isn't the main reason for doing the work of course. "could cause thousands in damage"... maybe if you use cheap kit or a sub-standard install. Issues are very rare with professional kit & install. As for resale, just switch back to OEM kit if you plan to sell. Simples.

Il Co-Pilota, pt95 and gliazzurri like this.
  4. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Questionable to be honest...I haven't seen or heard of a rash of vehicles having issues unless questionable parts are being used. These are fully reversible items, not irreversible issues. Of course, don't buy them if you don't want but that is a massive overstatement I would say.

KarlA69 likes this.
  5. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    OK maybe I'm just getting old, I just don't see the point in modifying a superbly engineered machine thats already loud fast & expensive. Why not buy something less valuable like a Corvette & chop it up instead.

6. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Different tastes Lou. For some of us not loud enough. Not the proper sound. Will try not to take offense with the suggestion but will be difficult. Everyone wanting more sound is not a ricer lover. And also not a vette fan. I like loud quality sounding cars. Not loud cars that sound like crap.

Bundy and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's merit to both sides of the argument.

Adding a test pipe instead of cats will rarely hurt an engine. The sensors that regulate the A/F makes sure of this.

Now the downside to this is that there's usually next to zero gains in actual performance. Just go to Novitecs website and see what they say. Maybe 5-8 hp. On these cars that will never be felt. If you want to utilize the added flow, you need to adjust the mapping of the engine.

Can changing exhaust components hurt modern cars? Rarely, but some things can.

If you remove the rather poor flowing log manifolds on a 458 and replace them with headers that create a scavenging effect, you might actually cause,a lean condition in certain situations. These headers do a much better job of clearing the combustion chamber for exhaust gasses and thus there is more oxygen in the charge prior to combustion. This the system cannot always accomodate for. In the best circumstances it can cause a loss in power either due to knock or simply due to the fact that a lean engine makes less power. In the worst case there can be burnt valves, hot spots in the combustion chambers or melted pistons.

In the old days of carbs and simple fuel injection, A/F ration should always be adjusted when the exhaust was changed. Today the engines are much better at compensating for changes, especially if the scavenge into the merge collector is unchanged.

As for calling a simple exhaust change a hacking up, is going way too far. There is nothing done that is not similar to a regular exhaust change, especially when something like a 200 cell sports cat is used. It is easily reversible and if anything, the cats create a bit less heat IF properly insulated. I have seen some high flow cats with a really crappy casing, and those got much hotter on the outside than OE cats. It sucks when your shoes melt on the floor of your car...

The point is that there's no right or wrong really. There are some simple do's and don'ts, but that's it. My Ferrari dealer also happens to be a Capristo dealer and distributor. That would not be the case if Ferrari disapproved of it.

They will void engine warranty if installing headers on the cars where that is possible, but that's about it.

GPF is about in the same ballpark as cats. It changes back pressure, but not the active scavenging effect. It is worth noting that the 812 actually has really nice headers with merge collectors, hence why no exhaust companies offer headers for the V12 cars. The FF did have a bit more of a restrictive header than the F12, but the F12, Lusso and 812 all feature 6-1 long tube headers with merge collectors.

Want the noise? Get some sport cats. Like as is? Leave them alone. Car will be equally fast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy, gliazzurri and KarlA69 like this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Do you know how many cell have the stock cats ?

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not exactly, but between 500 and 700 from what I recall.

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Ok, thanks !

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Maybe as some of us lose our hearing we want louder stuff to compensate. Both my Ducati’s have their race exhausts installed which give more hp but I dare not use them in the early morning- my neighbors would shoot me and law enforcement hears me coming a mile away.
    The 812SF sounds glorious stock and the GTS does as well just a bit different. I’d consider a new exhaust for it, if and only if, a GPFless GTS bumps up the hp and performance considerably-ie the 20 hp or more the engineers got from the engine to compensate for the hp loss with the GPF.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. jjc

jjc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 14, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    John J Castrogiovanni
    Thank for your thoughts.
    A full sport cat exhaust shows on the dyno +35 hp with out a chip tune. Not bad
    And with a Valvetronic muffler control you can keep it stock or let it rip.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #38 Frank_C, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    I just put Brooks Racing Exhaust inconel X pipe and inconel silencers on my SF and picked up my car a few days ago. I need to take some video as the car now sounds perfect. I had previously pinned open the valves in my '20 non GPF SF, which is a must IMO even in the non GPF iteration. The Brooks exhaust is phenomenal- not only is it just the right amount louder valved, but even when valved the exhaust note is deeper and sounds really guttural in the low end: exactly what I'm looking for. And opened up the straight through sound is fanfriggintastic. I also put on a remote for the valves.

ps I live out in the country so it doesn't matter (and I don't care), but for really loud the Dundon (inconel) Crack Pipe I have on my GT3RS shakes my house. I had to buy noise cancelling ear plugs for the track.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Bundy, Prancing12 and Thecadster like this.
  15. jjc

jjc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 14, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    John J Castrogiovanni
    Thanks.
    Nice looking exhaust.
    After all the input and thoughts presented, I decided to go with a full Kline SS system, 200 cell sport cats back. Looking forward to installing.
    Regards,

16. ait_z28

ait_z28 Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    Good choice. Don't forget Valve controllers to have the luxury of switching between brutal and stock-like noise.

17. jjc

jjc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 14, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    John J Castrogiovanni
    yup, got the handy remote to choose between normal and special.

18. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    200 cell sport cats is the way to go. I recently switched from decat to sport cats and very happy with the result. Still very aggressive F1 like sound but much refined and smoother. More importantly no more brutal cold start so I won't wake up my neighbors early morning on weekends.:)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I fully agree, I’ve got 200 cell cats and it’s so loud but not excessive. That scream above 6k revs is to die for!!

I had mine out as the sun was setting tonight, country roads...love it!

day355 likes this.
  20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    200 is a must....have them on my Lusso and if you're gonna modify then IMO 200's are the ay to go....I know different from the 812 but the car was a little disappointing stock....exhaust with cats and it screams

21. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    This would make me think twice about modifying.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tickerhound likes this.