360 - 360 Major Service Interval | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360 Major Service Interval

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rbarney360, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbarney360

Rbarney360 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Barnett
    I apologize. I didn’t realize that some people get belts inspected as often as you. I certainly don’t know more than any of the people on this forum. I’ll stay silent and absorb knowledge from now on. Please accept my apology.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Np. No one has issues with you asking questions. Its likely your question has some historical material. I know of cars with their original belts - 456, 360 etc. wld never advise anyone to go 20 yrs. but as you have gathered a low annual mile garage queen thats stored is unlikely to need belts every 3 years. Its a great car. Enjoy it.

3. Rbarney360

Rbarney360 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Barnett
    Thanks, MUCH appreciated! Obviously, I’m a newbie and want to avoid costly issues. I can afford this car but only if I can avoid stupid mistakes that makes it unaffordable for me. So much to learn.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #29 EastMemphis, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    That probably means you're going out on a limb for the car. What if you get a really nice original example and the cats in the headers give out and sand down your pistons and valves? That could be $25k easily. If you catch it early and replace the headers, that could be $5k+ without installation, more if you live in California. Or you could be driving along and hit a bad pothole, crack a wheel and be into it for several G's depending on

You have to bank on having a major problem. Otherwise, your car may sit for a long time broken waiting for funds. That would be the ultimate bummer.

I have $20k put aside just in case. So far, no need and I've actually spent very little keeping the car running in the 18 months I've had it. But I am ready if something truly bad happens. I have spent a lot for upgrades but those were planned so not the same as a surprise oil stain. I put about 1,000 miles a year on the car and drive it regularly.

Gated 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skidkid likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, it IF it will throw a $10K bill at you but WHEN you will get the next one.

6. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    I talked to a professional ferrari dealer tec
    He said the advice is to replace the belt after 3000k only if you drive the car at 7000rpm on track every day, otherwise if you cruse in town every day the belt will last forever. I replaced mine 2 years ago and they look brand new including tensioner and the rest. Thats my opinion. But i still replace them every 5-7 k for piece of mind
    Forza Italia

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  7. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Definitely agree with planning for maintenance. I got my 360 a little over a year ago and when I pulled the car off the trailer, I found it overheating due to a heat exchanger failure. Then over the winter I replaced the clutch and took care of a few other things. 15 months of ownership and $12K of maintenance.

Would still do it all over again, such an incredible time when out enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skidkid and EastMemphis like this.
  8. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Just swapped my HE last week. Nothing wrong with it but the robber boots wore leaking a little so i figure once i am here and is 20years old y not replace it

Adomowitz360 likes this.
  9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    So what do you actually have “inspected”? What specifically is your mechanic looking for? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    "Yep, the belt is till there." :p

Stev-o likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Haha! I would assume they would test the belt frequencies tensioner gaps, and of course visual inspection of the belts. Makes sense but seems like a lot of work just to "inspect" belts if you have to do it through the access panel.

Skidkid likes this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fair guess. I would assume that the frequency drops off for the first 100 miles then stabilizes and stays in a pretty tight range for a long time. An experienced mechanic who did that kind of inspection would know the targets.

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    So I’m not a pro. Also I’m not being provocative.

My point is I doubt you will ever see anything grossly wrong with the belt itself.

What would you see with bearings? Surface Rust?

Tensioner if failed maybe belt would be loose? IDK

So I get in there - I take seats out for access, access panel off, and belt covers off, and am looking at the belts. It’s been more than 3 years or I wouldn’t even be looking.

Even if Everything looks great, I’d still change them if I was there. I wouldn’t “inspect” unless I suspected a problem.

That’s me and I’m not knocking “inspecting” if there is truly utility to it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Skidkid and EastMemphis like this.