How bad is it for a car to have sat...for years...with very limited use? | FerrariChat

How bad is it for a car to have sat...for years...with very limited use?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Bobby_P, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Found an F12 with very low miles, but no service records other than pre-delivery. Spent it's entire life in a temperature controlled storage.

How concerned should I be regarding the lack of use?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The no service records would bother me. Zero miles or no, a car sitting for that many years not driving, even if it's on a trickle charger so that the electrics aren't ruined, can have other things go wrong that'll get expensive quick. Suspension bushings hardened, brittle rubber piping in the engine and so on.

I'm not a fan of low mileage cars anyways, prefer to see cars that have been driven in the last 2-3 years. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, few thousand miles is enough to get some ''peace of mind''.

Especially for a GT like an F12, I see no good reason to buy a low/zero miles car.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’d be concerned.
    Gaskets, hoses and seals all can dry out a bit. So you’ll be breaking in a car out of warranty. Usually those ultra low mile cars command a premium which for me is insane, especially if you plan on driving it...which IMO you should...a crime to let such an amazing machine sit.

If I were looking, and this is just me, I’d want a well-maintained (and documented as such) car with ~2-5K miles/year.

350MH83, Caeruleus11 and Bobby_P like this.
  4. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Thank you for the replies so far.

The gaskets/seals/hoses/etc. were my primary concern. The car would be certified and sold with 2 years of complimentary extended warranty, but it is my understanding...perhaps incorrect understanding (?)...that the extended warranty doesn't cover gasket/seal leaks which I presume could get expensive...quickly.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You’d want to read through that warranty coverage. I suspect power train warranty is very specific mechanicals.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Expensive is relative. If car is very well-priced then you’ll likely be fine, but if price is jacked up for low miles I wouldn’t consider that a “bonus.”

7. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Not a chance...$270k ask. Nice options, though...likely a $375-390ish MSRP.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    an f12 with 6k miles has also sat. an f12 with 12k miles has also sat.

Solid State likes this.
  9. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    This one is a '16 with 300 miles...presumably mostly incurred near delivery...which means it very likely sat for years.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wldnt avoid it if it checks other boxes

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You'll also need a new set of tires.

12. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I think it all depends on how many miles per year you plan to put on the car, because you are paying a premium for those 300 miles. Once you start really driving the car that premium evaporates quickly. Also new tires for sure the others must be flat spotted I would think. Get it checked out if it passes then try and see if you can negotiate the price down then you might have a real winner.

13. ilCapo

ilCapo Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2020
    Italy, Canada, the Cayman Islands
    Full Name:
    Frank Schilling
    I have a 612 with 3000 miles… Car is nearly 13 years old and sat for 10 after being driven well in the beginning. Still looks the business (which is always intoxicating because it makes you feel like you get to go back in time). First thing I changed was the oil… Lucky for me the last owner had it on synthetic which is more forgiving on that first start. I just changed the tires (Pzero’s had turned to plastic) .. I had a belt pulley tensioner go and water pump start squealing (caught that just in time because it could’ve been a disaster for engine cooling). I replaced all the sticky switches and vents and the triangular rubber window frame sleeves which pocket the driver and passenger door windows (the originals became brittle and tore).. One of the plastic parts that holds up the metal in the window regulator gave out so I had to replace that, and the trunk and fuel door solenoids were shot so replaced those. Lastly the chrome around the scud shields had become pitted through time so I replaced them… paint has been ceramic coated and looks brand spanking new (Grigio Silverstone holds up well). Car runs like brand new .. but all cars have parts that wear down. Generally speaking, I’m a big believer in trading cars and driving the metal of the moment. I loved this car so I bought it anyway, put up with the headaches and would do so again. The stuff you love best you’ll drive and maintain more frequently.. which will go a long way to keeping it running well. Ships and men rot in port.

Bobby_P likes this.
  14. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Not so much concerned about the depreciation of the premium for a low mile car...I intend to keep it awhile. However, I am most definitely concerned about the probability that the car having sat so long results in some sort of major engine/transmission/electronic service issue that will result in an additional $30k+ bill.

Otherwise...as the car sits...it does check a lot of my "boxes."

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Power-type warranty extensions don't cover leaks. You are essentially getting a brand new car so the price is fine (assuming you love the spec) but maybe get something in writing regarding leaks for 6 mo. or a year and work in changing all fluids and installation of a new after-market battery.

Bobby_P likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Also a set of PS4 tires not due to age but because of flat spots/belt settling from sitting and not spinning.

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    AC not used regularly will likely lead to problems with all those seals, which are primarily lubricated by the fluid flow within the system. That's the reason it's ideal to run cold AC momentarily to get the fluid circulating on a regular basis even during the winter.

Personally, a vehicle routinely driven with mostly highway miles will be in a much better condition than one that just sits. Oh, and watch out for those rats that have made a home inside the vehicle and gnaw on all the wirings and chewable components under the hood.