California 2010, Dos and Don'ts | FerrariChat

California 2010, Dos and Don'ts

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by NeroDaytona2020, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Hi folks , I have just bought 2010 California as my first car in my life, very excited ! The car has been driven 16k miles and the previous owner had taken care her very well. All maintenances were done by official Ferrari dealer, and the record shows the Rear shock absorber has been changed recently. Next annual service is coming next month.

I am really new to the club so appreciated if anyone can share Dos and Don'ts in using California. I mostly drive only during weekends. Thanks in advance!

2. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Congratulations, it sounds like you found a nice low mileage peach of a car. Pictures please?
    The only don't I have for you is don't leave it for long periods without the battery conditioner plugged in. Batteries are expensive and letting them run down shortens the life considerably. If you choose to disconnect it, which is what I do, follow the reconnection procedure to allow the car to set itself up properly. A previous thread exists here where a member kindly posted the procedure.
    Happy open top motoring.

glob1971 likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Good advice.

Drive it. Drive it often. Keep it on battery tender always. Ask how old battery is, if it's more than a few years old, replace it.

Congrats and don't forget the pictures!

T

alex likes this.
  4. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    I see, long period meaning like 2weeks+? My car doesn't have Stop/Start system, current battery is from 2018. Here is some pics!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pro Bono likes this.
  5. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    The battery is about 3yrs old now. Maybe I will just replace it on annual service next month. The pictures are above !

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pretty F-car.

I'd replace the battery, but that is me. As far as the battery tender goes, if this is a weekend mostly car, I'd keep it on the tender always when not driving...T

alex likes this.
  7. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    I will do the same, thank you!
    Sent from my LYA-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations!
    Enjoy

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Wait 5 seconds after you turn the key before hitting the start button, you should hear a few beeps when it’s ready. Hitting start too quickly can cause weird errors to pop up because the various ECUs were not done checking in before startup.

Any random strangeness you encounter, first step is shut the car off, wait 30 seconds and restart. If that doesn’t work, disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and try again. If that doesn’t work post here ;)

Have fun! The more you drive it, the happier the car will be.

RBully10, alex and tomc like this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Don’t wear dark blue jeans!:D

tomc likes this.
  11. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
  12. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Ha, I even want to buy a seat cover but haven't found good one yet.

13. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Understood! So far haven't seen anything not working. Hope won't see in future too.

14. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
  15. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congratulations, she's a beauty. Treat the window lift switches very delicately, because they will break easily if too much pressure is used repeatedly.

alex likes this.
  16. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Thank you! Just send her to annual service a couple days ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bill Phillips and tomc like this.
  17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My first Cali was a 2010 that I put over 30,000 miles on in the first 1.5 years. The battery was never an issue because I drove it every day, with SottoZero tires in the winter too. I always started the car to put the top up and down, and I suggest doing that. I had a 2012 Cali, later a Cali T, and now have a Portofino. In all those cars I only had a hole in one radiator, and one current sensor failure in the top in one. They are tremendous daily drivers!

Florida Joe and California4Ever like this.
  18. NeroDaytona2020

Feb 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Szy
    Hi vdj3

I have send my California to official dealer for annual service. They came back to me said need to replace rear shock absorber due to some oil leakage. But previous owner had just replaced those half year ago.

What will cause the rear shock absorber failure? Have you experienced replacing that in such short term of period?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login