What automobile themed book do you treasure most? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What automobile themed book do you treasure most?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Jack-the-lad, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    During elementary school I fell in love with the Automobile Year annuals that my parents had from the early 60's. That is where I think the idea of a Ferrari in the wild on the Targa Florio first took root as about the loveliest thing in racing.

A few years later, as a pimply faced AFX slot car campaigner, it was probably Michael Keyser's The Speed Merchants (of course we'd seen LeMans in the theater by then, so the narratives from real drivers were gold). With a little help from Oscar Kovaleski's Auto World I was able to work up many of my favorites from that book.

Another source of early and enduring fascination were the magazines a neighbor gave me that their grown son had left in the attic: Sports Car Graphic and Road and Track from the late 50's up to the mid 60's. I like the calm graphic design of the era, black type on white paper, excellent cutaway drawings, and often a centerfold of a Ferrari of the era. Looking back now, it's interesting to see where the real-time journalism about innovative cars landed in terms of their historic impacts.

375+ likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have Four to grab when the house burns down...my signed copy (s) of:

Jackie Stewart
    Niki Lauda Mein Story
    My terrible joys
    Autocurse 1986 - signed by Senna, Prost, Alboreato, Warwick, Sullivan, Moss, Tyrrell, Tambay, Arnoux,Jones, & Jenk's

amerikalei, 375+, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Senna, Moss, Tyrrell and Jenks? Incredible Tom.

BigTex likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I got a copy in a lot of books that I recently purchased, it goes on the nightstand tonight.

Smiles and Rosey like this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, of course, if they're signed, they should go to the top of the list! The only F1 driver of that era I could have gotten an autograph of was Rene Arnoux, who I saw sitting on the wall during a pit walk in Detroit.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    In 1987 the only race I was able to attend, was Detroit. My dad was a photographer and was doing work for LAT, and he had two photo passes for the Race so I got the other. Back then, you could actually buy a photo pass, and it gave you access to almost everywhere on the track. only place you could not go was race control, and Medical center and the chicane ( course workers only ) that year they stopped allowing anyone but TV to be on the river side of the track.

anyway, on the flight out from NYC to Detroit I was sitting with a guy who turned out to be the CEO of Delonghi USA, who invited me to a party on Friday night, and they were giving everyone an autocourse, and I put it in my backpack and left it there. about 10:30 PM Senna and Peter Warr show up, and I grabbed my book and my sharpie - and had him autograph it. The next day, early Saturday AM I was in the pits and watching my dad's photo bag, right by the entrance to the pits, so I just had my book out and asked the drivers as they came down the stairs for their autograph. the only person who ignored me was Mansell. Piquet was mobbed by a bunch of Brazilians, so I could not get in. I regret not getting Ron Dennis's autograph, but I just did not like him. later that day walking down to the first turn, I see Chris Economaki with Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart. Dennis Jenkinson was right there too. a couple of TV guys got Stewart and were talking to him and Economaki - so i asked Stirling Moss and Dennis Jenkinson to sign my book. Moss said " how do you know who I am? and who he is? Pointing to Jenks - I said my dad, and I know you guys won the Mille Miglia! Moss was nice - Jenks just mumbled something, he actually smelled really bad - it was a hot day, and he had this flat cap on that long beard... yuck!

Texas Forever, jm2, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To have gotten Moss and Jenkinson together was priceless!

BigTex likes this.
  8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Attached Files:

9. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    My copy of The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue and Paul van Valkenburgh, signed by Mark for me just after the 1975 German Grand Prix, just before he set off for his record run in the Porsche 917/30 at Talladega, and two weeks before his fatal accident at the Austrian GP. I was the Penske F1 team go-fer that summer....

amerikalei, Lusso123, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
  11. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Rosey, Texas Forever and gt4me like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Nembo1777, gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Posted on another forum by Admiral Phillips, Dick Merritt passed away this morning. RIP to one of the Ferrari giants.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very sad news but thank you for letting us know.

Lusso123 and jm2 like this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If my apartment was burning, it might be the Klementaski if I could find it........but then I would be crying outside I had forgotten the Peter Helck!!!

My fiancée being only 22 has caused some serious discussions with my son, who burst into tears the other night that "the Ferrari stands for an outstanding Dad, memories he could not bear to lose" and it pointed out WHAT should I do with a huge collection?

Assuming vandals don't steal it after the ME leaves with me zipped in a bag.....

I thought I had my new Will ready to sign, I guess Special Instructions can be amended....

jm2 likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He recalled every childhood adventure, ever...that we had shared in the car, 22127 or it's sister #20405, that he burned the clutch to smoking, learning to operate it....

He's a good kid....proud, so proud of him

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mon Ami Mate is a favorite also, or the Cartier Edition of Piloti Che Gente...damn, I just love a book.....I don't even own a TV......just the books, LPs and a McIntosch.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A huge loss, he was always willing to help, to share memories, one of the founding fathers...RIP Sir.

Jack-the-lad and jm2 like this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I have that, since my father spent most of his career at Citroen, another that made a big impression as a kid is the book, several actually, on la Croisiere jaune, the expedition across China, the Himalayas, the Gobi desert with Citroen half tracks: hugely epic. Andre Citroen was a marketing genius: this was before TV and in all European movie theaters, before the feature, people were mesmerized by the short film about it.

20. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Juli, gt4me, Lusso123 and 5 others like this.
  21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    great books - I have many as well. the best one is Adriano Cimmirosti's book... detailed yet easy to read and extremely accurate.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    cause you used Dell products? - just kidding!