458 - New to me 2013 458 Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 New to me 2013 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert Collins, Mar 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I have the full carbon racing seats in my 458. They look damn good but the regular seats are more comfortable for long drives IMO. Let’s just put it this way, my next F car definitely won’t have racing seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Collins likes this.
  2. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Well maybe I got what I needed after all. My car has the fully adjustable Daytonas with the adjustable bottom and back bolsters so it can totally adjust to be a race seat.

cole328 likes this.
  3. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Do not rush to judgement; my experience has been just the opposite.

4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have Daytonas in my f430 spider… they the same seat? They are super comfortable and to me have plenty of side bolstering. Plus, I could sit in them for two or three hours if I had to no discomfort whatsoever.

Took my car for a long drive last night… And really love the raw visceral experience of it. But every time I see a 458 on the road… I have to be honest… My loins stir..: such a good looking car.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    I got excited every time I saw one too. That's why I finally broke down and bought one. The Audi was great for 6 years, but time for a new toy!

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I've not had a problem with my CF seats. I just did a 200-mile drive this past weekend and was perfectly fine. That said I've only ever driven for a short period of time in the standard seats. Maybe I would have been even more comfortable.

Either way, excellent pick up. Enjoy it.

Oh out of curiosity, how does the 458 compare to the R8? They're both supercars but what are the differences in driving experience?

8. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Looks great! Big congrats on that beauty!

9. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Thanks Richris1! Drove it again tonight and it keeps getting more fun the more I figure it out!

10. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Funny you ask that question...driving it in race mode I would think it would downshift to the optimum gear, but it seems like sometimes it stays a gear higher. The computer is probably smarter than we are, but the Audi R8 would always shift to the lowest gear, even if there were only 1,000 rpm's left. Again, I am still learning this car, but if I hit the sport button in the R8 and punched it, it immediately went into F-U mode and wanted to kill something.

11. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Hey Rob,
    Where is the connector for the Bovee in the 458? The only connector I see is a Female USB cord coming out of the glovebox above the 6 Disc changer. Is that female end USB past of the factory setup or did someone add something to this car?

12. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Great looking car . Best of luck with it

btw...looks like Ft Lauderdale. I just got back to nj, however were you on Las Olas the other day?
    saw a twin to that car there.

Mike

13. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I'm guessing your car did not come with the $900 iPod connector (FERRARI IPOD IPOD 925). It's the old 30 pin connector next to the usb drive in the glove box and looks like this (2005 iPod Nano 1st generation connected, Bovee behind it):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You can use the usb connector to copy mp3s to the hard drive of the system, but you can't play music directly off a usb thumb drive.

Rob

14. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Yes I bought it in Ft. Lauderdale last week. I did not drive it down Las Olas, but that doesn't mean the dealership didn't. I stay at the Ritz, within a few blocks of Las Olas though, very familiar with it. Love that area, and love the Italian cuisine at Spazio. It's a loud beach ristorante, but damn the food is amazing.

15. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    I have no ipod connector, only the usb download female cable. Bummer.

16. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    Welcome to the world of Ferrari. Beautiful car - I’m rosso corsa with black interior and red stitching. Best combo. Don’t worry about the shields - as you say the sticker is a very good option and no one worth their salt will laugh at you, rest assured. Re the stereo - Option A listen to the engine instead; Option B is go to Caltech, get a PhD in Particle physics and then you might be able to figure out how to switch it on. Four years of post doctoral studies should get you to be able to change channels. Oh, and hum the theme to Mission Impossible whilst you try.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Make sure you read about the FM transmitter in those other threads. For $13 I bought one to test and it worked better than the Bovee. I still prefer using the hard drive for music, but the FM transmitter is a good option if you prefer to stream music off your phone.

Rob

18. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Yes my friend Pete said the fm transmitter works pretty darn well. I’m buying one. It’s $13 for God’s sake!!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I did aftermarket CF Shields now on 2 cars and I think they look great. They are made right here in Denver by a local person

wthensler and Robert Collins like this.
  20. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Dude, those are pretty badass!

21. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I got this Audison bit nove Bluetooth connection together with hertz speakers And an audison sub. It’s amazing. I never touch anything but my phone. It auto connects via Bluetooth when I start the car and the sound is fantastic. I just left the stock radio there but it does nothing.

AD211 and Robert Collins like this.
  22. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Okay, now we’re talking. How much did that setup set you back? I’m all for easy with Bluetooth, but this sounds like it can drastically improve the entire stereo system. @PCJR, what are your thoughts on this?

23. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    Not sure have to look into it

24. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    So PappyDew, this does still run through the actual stereo system though, correct? I understand you use your phone to control everything which is awesome, but I want to confirm that even though you don’t use the interface at all, you are still using the power from the stereo amp itself and not some completely different unit.

25. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    That’s my understating. That piece connects to a processor that hooks up to the amp and speakers. I don’t use the actual car stereo anymore but I think it’s still connected to it. That part was about $800 but I added a new AMP a sub with a custom built box and all new speakers. I think total with labor I was in for $7k-$8k. Whatever Bluetooth it uses is pretty flawless. In fact it grabs my phone if I’m in the driveway and someone Turns the key in the car in the garage. It’s been flawless. So I control volume on the phone and it streams whatever app I’m using, Apple Music, Sirius, podcasts etc.