Ferrari has lost 35% of its fan base since 2010 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has lost 35% of its fan base since 2010

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I represent that remark!

Pawilly and Texas Forever like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep. But the 911 of the time beat it pretty easily. No one cared.

jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Aging is one thing. Tiring of the politics is another.

CW

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think also competition is much tougher than ever. So many great cars. A truly glorious time to be a motorhead.

I mean even electric cars are amazing (sans sound).

A truly great time to be a car enthusiast.

Texas Forever, Pawilly and Boomhauer like this.
  5. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Most of not all other manufacturers are building SUV’s which is accounting for 80% of their sales which means the high end sport car market is not even 20% of their brand when Bentley launched their SUV the company seen up to 40% growth in the first year of hitting the marketing believe I read somewhere Porsche produces 3 sport cars to every 30 or so SUV
    I work across the street for Manhattan motor car (lol hence my name on this site) who sale Lamborghinis, Porsche and other exotic cars I see more SUV’s coming off the trailers then cars every week I talked with the salesmen who say that they are moving more SUV’s then any other car
    So even if Ferrari wins F1 racing or pushes with EV’s or hybrid the only thing that will show growth would be a SUV this has been proven by all the other manufacturers in super car market
    Ferrari’s competing in the hyper car market only brings a small few potential buyers
    I feel a Ferrari SUV would a money maker even Maserati in Alpha Romeo have SUV which saved their company’s both of these manufacturers were on the brink of extinction
    Till making SUV’s
    It’s simple math build a produce that sales so you can have the money to build the cars you really want too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #81 ginoBBi512, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Im not sure Ferrari has to build an SUV to stay afloat, if I stand corrected, its a sad sad day for sure, pathetic to be more blunt. Just stay out of my way while Im on two wheels, we sure do not need any more of these SUV ers texting on their phones,while their kiddies are watching cartoons, but now theyre in a Ferrari, oh may God help us !! lol I would love to listen to what Luca D would say about the topic, I think hes a smart fellow, and would have some really good answers to what the state of the car business is, especially when it comes to Ferrari and company building SUVs .

Thank you

635CSI likes this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari needs to get back to basics. Build a car with only the safety necessities required by law. Do away with all the fluff.

Stick a basic radio in there. Build the car as light as possible and wrap it in the most exotic shape you can come up with. Have 2 gearbox options available. Make available a second version for track only service. Price it in the 150-200k area..there will suddenly be zero need to enter the SUV market place.

tres55, Caveatemptor, Pawilly and 6 others like this.
  8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Well said Sir,

Thank you

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wish I could agree, but if you look at sales trends for sports cars, thats not what the buying public wants. They love all the tech

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    ferrari needs an SUV to stay afloat? Really....? are they now offering 0% for 84 months and doing year end closeouts and rebates to sell cars? Seems to me they are doing just fine. The only reason they want in the SUV market just more $.

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I have commented on this topic before, and I think it's funny that Ferrari and Harley Davidson are again compared in relation to value vs market share. And remember, these are at odds with each other. An example of that may be that the Ford F150 is the best selling truck and they make billions of them, but when they are 20 yrs old they are practically worthless. Harley went the same direction as the F150 today. HD started out as a low production brand that sold to a specific market sector (and that sector could be described as someone who bought a Harley no matter what, to hell with the poor build quality and the poor ergonomics and ride), but they held their value because of the low numbers, cult following and the increasing number of people who wanted to join "the club", and made their way to a huge company that now builds billions of bikes and markets them to anyone with a motorcycle license. The build quality is better, the ride is better, but in 20 yrs you can't give them away. I think the reason why older Ferrari's are so valuable is because there just isn't many of them. If Ferrari follows Porsche and HD, they too will undervalue the brand while praising themselves for increasing stock prices due to a larger market share. Remember what Enzo told Ford? I think his sentiment was that Ferrari wasn't concerned with volume, but wanted to continue building beautiful, fast, low production no-frills cars that as we know were not the best built cars but there was a cult following that ensured "exclusivity" when you bought one. The high price and the subsequent headaches that followed were well worth the "entry fee" into the club. If I could have a wish it would be to have Ferrari keep production volume really low and purchase prices very high to keep and save the brand. And to hell with the stock prices.

ginoBBi512 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    They used to call that a 'sports car'. Honest. <sarcasm...not pointed at you>

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Exactly..

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Doing an IPO with a minority interest is beyond stupid. Once the SEC gets it mitts on you, you're toast.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the F-8 is very pretty - and powerful... and the Roma is pretty as well.... the days of the 250's and 308's & Dino's are gone for ever.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    When your competition has more money to spend on research and development it's a major threat.

That is when you can truly go out of business.

I've never heard of a business doing well being under capitalized.

Building cars is massively capital intensive.

People want ferrari to go to carbon tubs... Well where do you get the money to pay for the autoclaves for that?

So it's not always about enough money... It's about what your competition is doing.

Unless you want ferrari to become aston martin... Because that's how you become aston martin

polishhammer83 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #92 SVCalifornia, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021

How do you know that Ferrari can’t afford to invest in carbon fiber tooling?

Why can Mclaren afford it with considerably less resources but Ferrari can’t?

Ferrari bit off some off it in the LaFerrari. It cannot leverage that experience into a higher scale?

I suspect that Ferrari gets a considerable sum of discount from Alcoa (or whomever they procure their aluminum) for staying mainly aluminum based. Until that objectively becomes uncompetitive it remain so.

There is a considerable amount of engineering value add that Ferrari could make if they choose to engage in the engineering of CF processes even including buying a sub-con with expertise to jump start the transition. Perhaps they will.

What I find intriguing is that the claim that Ferrari traded of the design for the Maserati MC20 for the Roma with Maserati indicating that Ferrari HAD engaged the design effort for a high production car. The so-called Dino project.

If that is true it speaks much louder about Ferrari’s near term direction...

SV

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

First I want to say I appreciate your reply.

I was only using the carbon fiber tub as an example of how Ferrari could use more money. I didn't want to turn this into a discussion on whether or not they should. But McLaren does it and alpha did it on the 4C and I think it's going to be expected soon.

I hope for a sticks with aluminum and doesn't go to carbon fiber chassis but that's me.

As far as a discount from Alcoa you don't need a discount when you're not buying any more aluminum or rather a fraction of it

As far as McLaren's concerned McLaren can't afford it either. They have lots of financial issues it's been all over the news and a friend of mine who ordered a McLaren speedtail has come across some very questionable business practices when it comes to paying for the car and getting his car.

McLaren took a giant investment and it looks like it's all gone folks. And that is also considering they made the 12C the 570 the 540 the p1 the 720 and the GT and the Senna all on the same tub. Also that's why some people don't like McLaren's because they pretty much all seem the same due to the same chassis and same engines being utilized but in different states of tune. There's not a lot of differentiation between the cars. So they can barely afford the carbon tub even making a multitude of cars off of the same tub

The meat and potatoes of my point is if you want Ferrari to go into the future or have very cool projects and cars they need extra money to do it homologating cars is ridiculously expensive and everybody wants limited edition cars but there's just not that much money in them. So to set aside a giant amount of capital to develop a car and get a small return doesn't make a lot of sense. Also as things transition to electric it's going to cause the factories to completely retool and far more testing it's not going to be an easy transition or a cheap one everyone's going to need the money

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The day Ferrari is told or decides to go all electric, is the day they should stop building cars, and just remain open to make spare parts, its that simple. They can forget about all that F1 aggravation, and maybe back a vintage F1 or sports car race series for all the people they used to sell their cars too.Im not keen on carbon fiber tubs, chassis , save it for the race cars, it doesnt belong on road cars. Ferrari can also concentrate on that Classiche or whatever its called. They can also start buying up Ferraris at auction and from private sellers, fix them up new and sell them for even more money. I read that Ferrari makes a minimum of 80,000 per car, I know thats without the extras, Im sure they can make that up .To even have a thought about re tooling for an all electric line up is insane in my estimation.

Thank you

20. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    if someone really wants to measure popularity based on internet data it's better to follow social media statistics. in social media searches ferrari is well ahead of lambo or mclaren but behind some mass-market luxury brands like bmw or mercedes, because most non car guys know only 3-4 brands. social media has great source of car news and photos than search engines now days.

and a ferrari EV would not destroy them but will open a new chapter and surge in popularity among the new generation of people. so what will ultimately destroy ferrari
    ? if they listen to some dogmatic peoples voice and decide to ditch innovation & technology.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with you for just "hits", when measuring fans and passion for a brand it is different. One good judge is forum traffic. Do you realize FerrariChat.com has more traffic than all the Toyota forums combined? They make 45x the number of cars.

22. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think there is hope with the new Le Mans car. Less boring racing, less boring car

23. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    THIS! So very, very true! Most of the Green Movement is a farce anyway. Electric cars have to get their electricity from somewhere? Last I checked it's not wind turbines and solar panel farms feeding the massive amount of juice we need for our electronic world.

Ultra high end sportscars and their track driven counterparts make up such a small percentage of the overall amount of cars and driving, it's laughable to think that "Greening" them will make any difference at all.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Pawilly and Texas Forever like this.