2016 Cali T - backup display stopped working | FerrariChat

2016 Cali T - backup display stopped working

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MrBobT, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrBobT

MrBobT Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    robert s towery
    Hi everyone. Today I took the wife out driving for the first time. When I went to back up into the garage, having pressed the R button, the car went into reverse, but the screen went blank. There was also a steady beeping, about 1.5 seconds apart. Not the rapid one like if you don't have your seat belt on (super annoying BTW).

I tried putting it in first, back to R. Then I turned the car off, waited a few seconds, hit the R button, again the screen went blank (it had been displaying the radio info). I drove in 1st gear forward, stopped the car, R again, same result.

It has worked just fine until today.

Any ideas (besides trip to the dealer)?

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    try opening and closing the drivers door as you sit in it after you start it and shut it off; then, restart it.

3. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    One thing you can try is to disconnect the battery. Follow the procedure in your owners manual to disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes and reconnect the battery following the procedure. This will reset your systems and may correct the issue. The Cali T head unit is quirky in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  4. MrBobT

MrBobT Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    robert s towery
    I'm beginning to think my Cali T has a Windows 3.1 OS???????

5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  6. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Mine went to a blue screen. I went through a LOT to get it working again, and learned more than I ever wanted to about Ferrari parts. For example, the backup cameras are different if your car has/does not have front cameras or CarPlay. As to why, no one knows.

I have some spare parts for this as well. The rear pieces necessary to fix this can only be obtained from a dealer directly, it’s flagged as a collision part (rear deck lid strip) or whatever and the typical sources cannot get them.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Also, the beeping is normal when the car is in reverse.

8. MrBobT

MrBobT Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    robert s towery
    I don't recall hearing this before. I have some hearing issues and repeated beeping just doesn't go over well with me.

9. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    happened to me because of the battery. run the engine 15 mins idle at open air. then switch off and on and try again.

10. MrBobT

MrBobT Rookie

Dec 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    robert s towery
    I ended up not doing anything. The next time I drove the car it just worked. Drove it again yesterday and backed up many times, worked each time. Glitch!

smtrx likes this.
  11. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If it’s in the sun it can go a bit funny, I’ve had that happen to me.

12. 355GD

355GD Rookie

Apr 10, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Full Name:
    Graham Dark
    I too had the media screen go blank but I also developed a System Not Programmed warning on the TFT. I disconnected the battery and went through the procedure in the owners manual for a restart and everything was back. Seems this will happen with even a minor voltage fluctuation from the battery, and especially if not on the tether and not used for 5-7 days.

13. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    If I you start Carplay before to start to drive, you can get a black screen with your front or rear camera.

14. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    This happened to me repeatedly on my 2017 Cali T. There is a firmware update for the head unit that the dealer installed and thus resolved the problem. I can now have the phone plugged in before I drive with no issues. If you still have the extended warranty ask the dealer to get clearance from Ferrari to upload the new firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Thank you very much for your +++ contribution.
    My car C

16. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Sorry for my short cut answer :)
    My car 17 Cali T HS is still covered with 5 years extended warranty.(3+2)
    I have informed my dealer to check if there is any update to correct this 2 months ago to apply for the next service.
    Thanks again for your contribution
    Regards