Montblanc 149 | FerrariChat

Montblanc 149

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I was thinking of picking one of these up as it has been a halo pen for me since I was a teen. I current use a montblanc roller as my “daily” that I have had since I finished school.

When looking around, I noticed on eBay a lot of new 149 coming out of Japan and Malaysia for around $650 to $750. Are these real? Should I not buy a grey market pen?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    EBay, Japan and Malaysia concern me.
    Having been there, they counterfeit everything.
    And I mean everything........

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Get a real one. I have one I use occasionally and it is a fantastic instrument.

09Scuderia likes this.
  4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well that was kind of my question, are these eBay ones real... But I guess the answer is don't bother, just order one from the Montblanc website and pay the extra $250 plus taxes to be safe.

5. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    I have a couple real and one counterfeit. While the counterfeit looked the part initially the gold plating wears very fast. More importantly with writing instruments it's really about feel. The counterfeit feels like a lightweight piece of plastic (because it is). The real deal has nice balance and the cap snaps on and off decisively. You'll be spending $$$ on the refills so I'd make sure it is really worth it. Frankly I'm more a fan of Graf von Faber-Castell (more distinctive/modern, heavier, purposeful) but that's another story.

6. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    So I would be suspect of the Asian market pens....they make great stuff (look at the Hero piston fill safety type pens) but I would shop from a known entity. If you want to save some coin look on the preowned market from known sources.... can save some money. Example source would be Fountain pen hospital in NYC. No affiliation just a good reputable place... and 149s are great.... I have at least five from different generations.... and that lead to a quest for a 139 and 138... never ending rabbit hole