Ethanol Defender | FerrariChat

Ethanol Defender

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by V4NG0, Mar 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Hi all. Does this stuff work or is it ‘snake oil’?

https://www.amazon.com/BG-Ethanol-System-Defender-Drier/dp/B076B2WH3L

As an alternative, I’ve also heard that using ethanol-free gas with a lead-substitute additive is optimal for old Ferrari engines and related systems.

I don’t know much about either—looking to learn more.

Steve M, Vincenzo, TurboJoe or anyone else with related knowledge, please chime in.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    never tested this before, so can not say anything. sorry

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd be wary of the "drier" -- some use methanol, and I had a recollection that Larry Fletcher (www.CISFlowTech.com) had a warning about using products with methanol in CIS systems (and I found it):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/138297492

I also like his suggestion to "pre-test" any black magic liquid fuel additive that you might be considering before pouring it in to you fuel system by buying some "ordinary" Buna-N O-rings and soaking them in said additive for a while to see if anything horrible (like swelling or dissolving) happens to the O-ring material compared to a sample not soaked.

V4NG0 and turbo-joe like this.
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Sorry... no real info to add.

5. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    V4NG0 likes this.
  6. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    V4NGO if you are fortunate enough to live in an area that has ethanol free pumps just pay the price and use it. I have been told by many mechanics that especially the older, last century cars ,suffer from ethanol fuel. I believe in Marvel Mystery Oil and Sea Foam for the lubricating properties and cleaning properties. Octane boosts I believe are sort of snake oil. Put some av gas in on occasion like a good friend of mine does.
    I am fortunate enough to live in south Florida where many gas stations sell ethanol free fuel. I run it in all my gas engines. Obviously the cost is a bit more but after talking with some Ferrari mechanics it is well worth it. Now to change the subject a bit. I also run Marvel Mystery Oil regularly and Sea Foam once in a while for a system clean up. I have been doing this as long as I have owned the internal combustion engine (50 years plus). It's probably a little late to find out I have been peeing my money away. Any thoughts.

V4NG0 likes this.
  7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Good info and good idea Steve. Thanks

8. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
  9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Ethanol free doesn't mean lead free, just to summarize what others have said. It's just real gas.
    My '15 Audi's manual says, more or less, 'if your engine doesn't run right, use real gas.' Not all states allow it. I use it any time I have a choice, and search for it.
    On at least 2 occasions, other customers told me 1) I was ruining my engine 2) voiding the warranty. Signage on the pump is intended to encourage ethanol fuels. Your government at work....

Texas Forever and V4NG0 like this.
  10. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    There is an ethanol-free pump at a station near me, but the gas is rated 87 octane. Is the downgrade in octane rating worth having gas free of ethanol, all things considered?

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what about then using this ethanol gfree das and add some octane booster? only 87 seems very low

V4NG0 likes this.
  12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    87 AKI in the US is ~92 RON in your part of the world. Ferrari's octane specification for US TR is 87 AKI.

turbo-joe and V4NG0 like this.
  13. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Perhaps I should do both—use the ethanol free 87 octane and put a booster in.

14. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Try marinas. They normally have ethanol free 92 octane gas. The problem is the pumps are at the docks. You will have to fill and haul five gallons at a time. Oh, the things we do.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

V4NG0 likes this.
  16. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Avgas is best, does not go bad for a long long time and has a bit of lead which older valves need. 100 octane too.
    John

V4NG0 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Where does one typically find it?

18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Guys were always coming in trying to get avgas when I worked at FBOs. My boss said it will burn up the valves in a car engine. Don’t know if that’s true but you may want to look into it before using it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is avgas? gas for alternative vehicle?

20. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Aviation fuel, 100LL. Have used it for years in all my old cars, never goes bad and a bit of lead for the valves is good for lubrication. Not sure what someone would say it would burn up valves? Think old wives tale? All gas had lead when most old cars were made.
    John

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I use ethanol free race gas 100 octane. You can even order it online from sunoco and others.
    I use a 50/50 mixture with 93 pump gas (which is 10% ethanol), so Im averaging 5% ethanol and with that mix and it runs great.

If im going far I fill the car 100% with race gas, and then I can fill up at a 1/2 tank with pump gas and my ideal mix ratio is good.

What I've found with race gas in the BBi and even my computer controlled e46 m3 is that the low end of the powerband is simply far crisper, no stumbling and throttle response everywhere is far more imdediate, top end is angry charge. So much so that both feel like completly different cars and if I have to run straight pump gas the difference is significant. almost like the car is crying. The 50/50 mixture works best and is not different in feel to 100% race gas. So its probably the way the fuel burns more than octane, although at 50/50 its got to be 96?.

For winter storage I used to fill the tanks and put stabil in, did that for decades, but with race gas its stable on its own for a year, so I just go 100% race gas for storage.

The rub in all this is Race gas is $10 per gallon so a ix makes sense and you dont have to fill the tank for storage.

I did try avgas and also they were selling 110 octane leaded race gas for $7. What I found was that with prolonged idling or low speed use the plugs did indeed start to foul from the lead.

My 1986 yamaha also loves that race gas, and even the 10 harley which is an injected bike fells way better with the unleaded 100 race gas. I think while the ethanol fuel may have the octane it simply burns like crap. I dont think its an octane issue its the way ethanol burns, or at least 10% ethanol, at 5% its all good.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    If there is a question about ingredients, go to the MSDS sheets: Most products in the USA have them available with a quick Google search.

BG Ethanol Fuel System Defender MSDS
    BG Ethanol Fuel System Drier

Defender:
    40 - 70% Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy
    30 - 60% Stoddard solvent
    1 - 5% 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene
    0.1 - 1% ethylbenzene

Drier
    60-100% Isopropyl alcohol

No Methanol is listed. Isopropanol is the only ingredient listed with the Drier (60% to 100%). I presume the remainder is WATER.

You can buy Isopropanol almost anywhere, from lab supply vendors to your local pharmacy to your local building supply store.

I can't say if that would be an overall benefit or not, but like the idea of trying a test.

23. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I found this formula, but have yet to use it. It boosts octane ~and~ adds a lead substitute. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Attached Files:

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I used a similar octane booster in my detonation prone, high mileage ‘94 big block F250 when towing over the Sierra. Seemed to help.

Prior posts suggest using av gas with lead.... DON’T DO IT!

Even a small amount of lead will destroy your cats.

V4NG0 likes this.
  25. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Of course do not use avgas with cats, but Boxers, originals, do not have cats, runs great in them.

V4NG0 likes this.