458 or 488 | Page 20 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

377 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When the 458 is screaming through the gears on the on ramp and you are watching a 4 door electric car go past you.

Personally I love the sound of the 488.
    I also love the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MANDALAY likes this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You paint with only black and white? Are you intentionally creating a strawman argument? I have no doubt you can figure it out.

xfrgtr likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ...and I’ll be waving back in my 458S, with a huge grin on my face...enjoying the drive.

430jm and xfrgtr like this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I agree with you the 488 sound with the valves permanently open was a decent sound. I’m hoping they find a solution to do the same for my F8 spider.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Somewhere there is a general consensus ( those that dont have a 488 GTB ) that they are boring cars with no soul ? My car gives me so much satisfaction knowing that when i press the accelerator it goes . It doesn't have to be screaming in the 1000's just tp move. Worse is seeing a VW pull away from a 458.

I am very happy for anyone with the ability to buy a Ferrari . But the continual dig on the 488 GTB is utter crap. Its a great car . The F8 and Pista are even better but the delta is the ONLY THING stopping everyone to go up. And this is what i believe so many always argue the 458 being better and using the N/A and sound to push why they didnt change. IMO HA the 355 is the best sounding Ferrari ever not the 458.

BTW the 488 GTB sounds great especially when you get the gear changing pattern right.

italiafan, SVR and john Owen like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Some of us actually had them all, provided our feedback here that we preferred the NA plant.
    And of course there are some who had all and prefer the turbo.
    Just as there are some who only got the turbo and feel the pressure to justify that decision.

MANDALAY likes this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I can openly admit that i do love N/A to some extent ( didnt like the shape of the 458 , hence never bought it ) but the high reving car that i built had nothing on the Turbos until I supercharged it then hell yes.

8. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    It is not all about speed. Not about turbos either. Or the differences in design.

Let me tell you what it is for me. I had a 6MT 360 several years. It felt kind of raw, good sound and driving experience was engaging.

I was kind of happy with it. Then I test drove my friends 458. Mindblowing. Changed everything for me. It was like the good things of my car but amplified 5x. I felt really connected to the car right away.

Then a year later, another friend asked me to drive his 488 a good 600km trip. I did that. Expected a lot from this drive, but; I didn't feel the connection to the car or the road. I felt like a passenger. What a huge disappointment. I realized during this trip that Ferrari made this car too "easy" to drive.

What I felt was the essence of a good Ferrari experience in a 458, was gone in the 488. It just wasn't there. And as you can see, the sound was not mentioned here. Or the design, or the speed, torque etc. It is not all about those things.

Went out and bought a 458 Italia. I am where I should be. And love it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Some cars feel like...home...

SV

Boomhauer, italiafan and Mikael-F360 like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have zero hate for the 488....fantastic machine! I love most Ferrari’s. It’s just when there is an opportunity to opine about the 458 I sing it’s praises, usually in direct response to someone (not you necessarily) saying how much “better” a car the 488 is.
    They are all great in their own ways and we’re all hopeless Ferrari addicts! :)

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Well said.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    hate is a strong word, I personally just prefer the 458 and know a few owners similar to me who test drove one as a potential replacement for their 458's when they were first launched and felt a little underwhelmed so didn't 'upgrade'.

MANDALAY, 430jm, xfrgtr and 1 other person like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

To be honest a model S will pass both cars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr likes this.
  14. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Of course not.
    Even 458 faster from roll. 488 simply destroy It.

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    True! Even if you’re driving asleep!

SV

xfrgtr and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen,

Just my two cents: an electric car is faster than a 458 or a 488. So what?

That’s like preferring Walmart beer to a 900 USD bottle of red wine, because it can intoxicate you faster.

I’m sure speed or price for that matter can’t be the only metric applied to most things in life. If we take a moment to consider our other toys, our house(s), our watches... There are others that are pricier or whatever. We bought what we bought because we can and even though there might be other newer things, what we bought is the measure of all things, regardless of other great arguments. That’s why we bought them.

The same applies to the 458; I bet most of those who prefer it to the 488 applied similar reasoning. And I’m deliberately not even going into the emotional side of it.

And as far as I’m concerned, those who prefer the 458 don’t hate the 488. They just wouldn’t switch cars (not because they couldn’t - 90% of my friends could, but won’t).

Just because something is newer, it doesn’t make it automatically better.

I hate electric cars with every atom in me. They aren’t cars and they won’t save the planet.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

paulchua, jomarti1, RoadRonin and 2 others like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

#492 Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    I think you are just not aware of the model S then . I’m not advocating for the model S though... It barely lost to a tuned veyron...Im just saying in a 0-60 race it beats both, but I wouldn’t buy one over a 458 Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

xfrgtr likes this.
  18. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    And I had the same feeling when I drove the F8...

dustman likes this.
  19. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I drove an F8 too. Well it was fast. And that was just about it for me. I wouldn't consider letting my 458 go because of it. And I am glad I don't have to.

ryalex and italiafan like this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    "From roll" is important here - from standing start the torque characteristics of an electric motor provide a decisive advantage (because to get as much power at start-up without spinning the wheels an ICE-driven car would need an ultra-low gear ratio... which would be inadequate as soon the car would build some speed, so there is no solution) but when the cars are rolling at some speed both cars use their power efficiently and the electric motor advantage evaporates.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Face Palm that video.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Can you believe he makes 2mm dollars a year though from those? Crazy!

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    quick vs fast would be good for anyone to know the differnce, esp if trying to be some sort of info source.
    but i do love cars, so enjoy watching all!

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not really , not gauging by all the Tesla drivers i pass :oops:

25. ADINEEN

ADINEEN Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANDREW DINEEN
    Heres an opinion from an owner. Shows how subjective personal taste is.

pnd4pnd likes this.