Anyone have contacts at Mercedes of Barrington (Motorwerkz)? | FerrariChat

Anyone have contacts at Mercedes of Barrington (Motorwerkz)?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by rob lay, Mar 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Last July I bought a certified 2017 Mercedes, it came with a 1 year warranty and I paid cash for an extended 2 year Mercedes warranty.

The extra 2 years warranty has not shown up on the car yet and they are hiding from me. Emails and voicemails are ignored by sales, service, and finance department. Of course I can call in and talk to someone, then they promise a call back within 15 minutes, this has happened 3-4 times and then nothing.

Seems like a blatant scam, but why would a major authorized dealer pull **** like that?

100 people pay for the extra warranty cash, they don't buy it for any car, only 25-50% of us notice it wasn't applied to the car, the others never check and forget, those that notice give up after the headache of getting a response from the dealer, and then only 5-10% of us go through the actual process of hiring a lawyer doing a claim/suit. For the few that make it to that point they can then add the warranty and claim "ohh you just didn't talk to the right person" while you are out the headache and legal costs.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I created this thread after the salesman today wouldn't pick up his phone after yesterday saying he would call me in 15 minutes.

I called Mercedes USA, who confirmed the 24 month extended warranty was just added as of yesterday! So they had taken my cash last July and after me hounding them multiple times they just now added it. That is good news I didn't take on any major legal costs and Mercedes is going to investigate Mercedes of Barrington.

jjmalez and tatry68 like this.
  3. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    When Motorwerks Barrington changed owners a number of years back (2016?), their service and customer care went straight into the toilet. Before then I had bought three cars from them, but will never do so again.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :(

It was pretty good of course until they had all their cash. first problem it was a Certified car supposedly 100%, when I got it the cup cooler/heater was inop (I know TRAGIC! ...but $1,400 part) and they wouldn't warranty it or pay for anything. my local dealer finally covered it. then this ongoing issue for 8 months not applying my additional 2 year warranty although they already had the cash. I actually found out and contacted them the first time 7 months ago.

All good now, but way too much headache for an authorized dealer of luxury automobiles.

5. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    AFAIK there never was an owner change. What I heard was sons-in-law took over a lot of the operations. Current owner is the same guy who started the place in mid 80s.

6. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball Rookie

Mar 6, 2011
    Here is an explanation by an experienced Auto Case lawyer of how this scam by car dealers works:

rob lay likes this.
  7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Glad you got it sorted. I had purchased a vehicle from them years ago, no issues, and haven't dealt with them in a long time. They're a larger and known dealer here in the Chicagoland area. FWIW if you end up selling the car private party the MBUSA warranty is transferrable private to private. Just need the buyer to fill out a form, helps in case you sell. If you trade in or sell to a dealer (or pass through a dealer) then it's voided.

rob lay likes this.