Shock actuator fault after KW coilover conversion | FerrariChat

Shock actuator fault after KW coilover conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MonzaMonza, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MonzaMonza

MonzaMonza Rookie

Aug 5, 2016
    Nashville
    Hi all,

I've recently swapped the suspension on my 550 Maranello for the KW V3 Coilover Kit (PN: 33642022) and the ride difference is amazing. I use KW suspension on all of my Porsche's and track toys- they never fail to disappoint.

However this time I've run into an issue. The shock actuator light comes on and will not turn off on the central display. It's basically the silhouette of a car with arrows pointing to the wheels. After a quick search I found this to be more than likely the result of the KW coilover swap.

I talked to a Ferrari shop in Washington where they noted that this can be turned off, but didnt really explain how. I never had an issue with the warning light prior to swapping the suspension and I know that the actuators are fine and operate as they should (Ferrari shop inspected the gears and gave me the green light), however the light is a bit of an eye sore. My previous 355 coupe also had KW's and the shock actuator light wasn't illuminated or throwing any faults.

So I guess this goes out to anyone with a similar experience with a conversion on 355's/456's/550's/575's. Is there any way to bypass this monitor? It's just an eye sore and the only solution the local Ferrari dealer had was to replace all of the actuators which came out to some insane amount of money, just shy of $6k or in that territory.

Any and all help would be truly appreciated, thanks for reading.

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    When I had my 550, we had to replace the crown wheel on top of the right rear shock. As a result, we kept throwing codes. Dan MacKay at Bradan figured it out after a considerable amount of investigation. You might want to contact him to save time/money.

4. MonzaMonza

MonzaMonza Rookie

Aug 5, 2016
    Nashville
    That's the thing though, none of them have failed - the tech pulled all four out and tested them, all gears were operating normally. Which leads me to believe it might be some kind of electrical gremlin. ECU reset didnt do a thing either.

Thanks for the input, sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. I know the KW setup is fit for the 550 and many owners have done the conversion with no error. I'm assuming it's an electrical gremlin of some sort. I will certainly reach out to Dan and hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on the matter. Thanks a ton.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just a thought as I have my own suspension apart. When removed, my actuators on startup spin much further than the shocks would allow when the actuators are installed. Meaning, it seems like the suspension ECU learns the stop point at each startup. Perhaps your new shocks have a different travel limit and the ECU thinks it's a failure?

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A possible cause for the suspension warning light when everything else checks out OK is that one of the Hall effect wires has a cold solder joint failure. The actuator motor will still turn both ways on the bench but will not communicate properly with the suspension ECU.

A comparative resistance test with an Ohm meter between actuators might help determine
    which one has an open circuit.

See this post :
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/139904900-post27.html

Other causes are mentioned in this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/209629-shock-actuators.html

I have repaired many actuators and seen this cold solder joint failure several times, it is not particularly rare.

NB: I don't repair these this any more so please don't ask.

Worst case cutting the green/yellow wire at the lower yellow connection at the shock ECU will turn off the light. It will come on as a bulb test for about ten seconds on startup then go out.

F456M likes this.
  7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wait a minute...Isn't this co conversion shock and spring? If yes then you can't use the ferrari oem actuators system. The oem system is only bilstein or sachs on the maranello versions. If I'm right then you need the simple and proven modification of the suspension ecu from our resident genius "ferraridriver" dave.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 ferraridriver, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    It's giving the fault because your KW coilovers are not adjustable electronically. Your car is searching for electronic shocks but there are none. The connector are not hooked up to anything, hence the fault. You need a fault canceller or have the dealer reprogram the car to disable electronic dampening control.

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hi Guys,
    Struggling to find the details on what to do to get rid of the suspension warning light on a 550 when you've changed out the electronic dampers for aftermarket coilovers. I understand the suspension ecu needs to get unplugged, then a couple of wires on the connector get bridged? Can anyone share the details of the relevant pin numbers that need bridged?

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin

Attached Files:

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Apologies - this diagram relates to the ABS ecu. Ignore then! Does anyone have the right pinout diagram for the suspension ecu?

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    In what way is the car better with this new shocks and springs? I thought the whole point with the computer controlled original system was to adjust each shock individually for every imaginable situation. By reading the manual, it shows that the system firm up the outer shocks in a turn, front when braking and rear when accellerating etc. I thought that was an ideal way to give more stability to the car?

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The kits usually include a bridge to fool the actuator controls and suspension logic. Contact the manufacturer or his retailer. There are many things that can give a suspension fault, and you want all of them bypassed.

15. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Higher quality components with more adjustability, greater dynamic range for tuning, greater fluid volume to cope with heat better...

Basically a variety of reasons. Not saying the OEM stuff is bad, but it’s pretty old tech now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    We have a wiring diagram, but no clue regarding the pins to short out. Two wires go to the motor in each actuator and the other four going to each actuator are unknown.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Able to post the wiring diagram?

I've gone through loads of old posts, and there are numerous references to a "well established " means of bypassing the suspension ecu for aftermarket coil-overs. It may be obvious form example if there is a pin for "fault condition" that feeds into another ecu that can be bonded to earth or 12v to send a confirmation that no errors are present. I honestly don't know, but the wiring schematic would certainly help. :)

18. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve been thinking about trying KW coilovers on my 550 and would appreciate any further review of the differences from stock suspension. Thank you

white out likes this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That might be a clue... The suspension fault wire goes into the instrument panel (labelled 300 in the diagram) on pin 10 of plug "B" on a green wire (with yellow stripe). i.e. colour code VG.

This green/yellow wire comes out of the Bilstein suspension unit on plug A pin 10. I can't remember if plug A or B is the yellow plug. From memory, however, the wires are not visible at this end of the harness. You have to pull the plugs apart to access the wires. It may or may not be easier to add your earth(?) at the instrument end.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/b3XhvnacahpluuNf

Link expires in 6 days...

The 456M shares a lot of the wiring with the 550. The plug at the instrument panel will be similar to plug "37F/11F" in this screenshot from the 456M workshop manual.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The 456M pinouts show a wire colour change at this plug from green/yellow to yellow/green. The 550 may or may not have this colour change (the diagrams are in a different format and don't have this data).

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For easier location of the wire on that plug, the green/yellow wire is between a grey/blue (HL) wire on pin 9 and a grey/white (HB) wire on pin 11 (i.e. on the car side of the plug, not the instrument panel side of the plug)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You know Ferrari 456/550 10x better than the average Ferrari tech!! What a contribution. Thanks for sharing.

Qavion likes this.
  22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Many thanks Ian!

Qavion likes this.
  23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From March, 2017
    Worst case cutting the green/yellow wire at the lower yellow connection at the shock ECU will turn off the light. It will come on as a bulb test for about ten seconds on startup then go out.

white out, brogenville and F456M like this.
  24. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Many thanks! I thought this might work. You know if this can result in any limp mode behaviour? Or does the bilstein ecu operate independently?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

white out likes this.
  25. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As far as I know it only breaks the connection to the light

As I understand it you no longer have the OEM shock actuators, if so the Bilstein ECU can not do anything but power the suspension warning light. With that wire cut it's redundant.

This would give you the freedom to replace the Sport switch with something more usable since it's also redundant

brogenville likes this.