Cali T and 488 same engine makes me chuckle as I.... | FerrariChat

Cali T and 488 same engine makes me chuckle as I....

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by THE VATICANTS, Mar 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Posting this in both the 488 and Cali T thread as I thought you'd get a kick out of it. I sold my 458 a little while back and (unlike many other "experts") am excited to get a 488 soon - as I thinking the car is awesome after driving it a few times. Just waiting for the prices to drop a bit more as I know the F8 will push that car a down over the next 6-7 months and then I will strike. Meanwhile I am enjoying our Cali T and I had to smile and remind myself that they SHARE THE SAME ENGINE but these bastards stinged me out of 100hp hahaha. I can't believe that engine is that good that for the Cali T they detuned it and then also used for the 488. Me, for one, absolutely love these new turbo engines - and I say this as 458 owner, who of course also loved the 458 NA engine. I even like the deeper sound of these newer engines, not ashamed to say it. Matter of fact, one of my car biddies wouldn't believe my T was turbo...what does that tell you!!!!

2. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    There is an easy and inexpensive fix. Install the Novitec Piggyback system for your Cali T and it "unlocks" the 100+ HP that is missing. I had TAG Motorsports do this on my 2016 T and it transforms the car into what it should have been when launched. I get it. Ferrari engineers (and probably marketing) wanted the Cali T to "feel" like an NA engine. It sorta did when OEM. Now, it just feels like the car can really dig out of corners and exit corner apexes more like a sports car and less like a GT (esp with the HS package -- a must -- and also a factory add on for those of us 16 owners for whom it was not yet order-able on the car).

The Cali T is not, and never will be, as taut as any of the 488/Pista/F8 lines. However, doing the piggyback (about $6k including parts ($4.7k) and labor) is a great way to dramatically narrow the spread and turn your T into a GT+ car.

My car has NEVER had a CEL or other error issue with the piggyback properly installed. You will be surprised and can feel the power increase. Again, probably more in the Porto M range (haven't driven one). I am in the minority but I think the Porto looks far more "mechanical" with it's side flank flanges than the Cali T. To me the T is just a more classic look.

The California T is also a heavier car than the 488 line but for those of us that like the classic / non space age look in a car, it fits the bill -- especially when properly upgraded.

Good luck and report back if you elect to go this route.

3. karachy

karachy Rookie

Mar 6, 2016
    Interesting point of view!

I recently came across a tuning video with a Portofino and a 488, the 488 is considerably faster than the porto...

It seems there are more differences between the engines?

Back when I had my Cali-T I test drove a 458 and the sound / feel made me put it on my wishlist (never drove a 488 though) and I have kids I like to take along for fun driving...

But will a novitec tune on the porto bring it close to 488 performance?

Maybe the novitec upgrade closes the gap?

4. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the turbos are different, 488 is a ball bearing and the California T is a bush type.

that would be the only limiting factor.

I’d love another 150 bhp

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  5. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Steve -- I did not do a before / after Dyno on my California T Novitec piggyback but I think it's well documented it adds 100 - 120 HP. Some are getting up to 650+ out of the car now. It's a heavier car and frankly the power is much needed - as seen in the new Porto and Porto M variants.

To me, as a GT3 guy, it's remarkable what adding the HS package (16% stiffer springs up front, 20-30% quicker shifts and sport exhaust) combined with the Novitec Piggyback did to the car. Transformational. It still isn't a 458 or a .2 GT3 but it sure makes it more fun to drive on mountain roads. Night and day really.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can piggy back the T till you are pink in the face, but it will not be even remotely as fast as the 488.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    He said it won’t touch the 488 nor is anyone implying that.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I hate to be a stick in the mud, but the Cali T and 488 engine are not the same basic engine - they are not even the same displacement.

They share the same basic block, and that is where the similarities end.

They don't share a singke part in the bottom end or in the valvetrain.
    Furthermore, the 488 is a dry sump engine and the Cali T is a wet sump.

The 488 engine has fully forged internals, the Cali T uses cast connecting rods.

They both have forged pistons and cranks, but the 488 uses a better material for stronger and lighter pistons.

They don't share cams and the 488 has stainless intake and inconle exhaust valves. The Cali T has SS valves all across the board.

Those are just some basic differences, not counting larger ball bearing turbos, different heads, more advanced intake manifold etc.

In other words. There's as much in common between the Cali T engine and an F40 engine, as there is between the 488 and Cali T. In other words, nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cali T - L154BB dry sump
    488 - L154CB dry sump

Andrew Pour likes this.
  10. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    This is from my California T HS which doesn't even have the piggy back.

I think many people underestimate the Cali T. It is a beast actually.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It is funny the top speed video i found for 488 only does 333 kmh : )

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ah yes, they dry sumped it after the Cali. The rest hold true though.

12. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    A lot of people underestimate the Cali T. Personally I think it’s one of the best all around cars ever made. Looks and driving combined.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What exactly does that Cali T top speed claim have to do with the GPS verified 488 run? Show me a T doing 334 on GPS. Last time I drove a T the speedo was off about 3-4 kph at higher speeds.

The 488 has a lot more aero going on and thus a higher drag, but I've personally witnessed the 488 Spider go 335 on GPS, so there's that - all about conditions.

Anyhow, it's not about underestimating the Cali T, I think it's a great GT. But it's not a great sportscar like the 488 is.
    It's not a negative, it's just how it is. They are two completely different cars built for completely different things. It just becomes really odd when people do straight performance comparisons between the two based on theory. I would never compare the Lusso to the 488 either despite them having close to the same power.

But since you want to to talk about top speed and that straight line performance. What do you think would be the result if you lined up a T alongside a 488 Spider and had them run a standing mile? It would be a slaughter. Would also be fun to have them run the Nordschleife together. I'd reckon about 35 second difference, if not more. Like I said, it is what it is. One is not better than the other, they are just completely different machines.

LVP488 likes this.
  14. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    You're aware the GPS verified 488 run above has the same v-max as Cali T right? Tacho is showing 333 kmh where GPS is showing 324 kmh.

Actually cali T is one speed faster :)

15. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Guys,

As my post clearly stated, the California T "ain't the 488". Never was intended to be and cannot be modified to approach 488 performance.

What I did say is that the Cali T can be improved and more enjoyable with a few mods. Essentially, car becomes a GT+ ... again as I previously stated.

Love both cars -- but even by modifying the California T to approach stock 488 HP numbers, they are still totally different rides.