My Ferrari New Power Warranty Story **Please read if you’re thinking about purchasing! | FerrariChat

My Ferrari New Power Warranty Story **Please read if you’re thinking about purchasing!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Fugy, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    So this is my story about getting the powertrain warranty from Ferrari for my 2014 FF.

I had purchased my Ferrari FF from Utah in August 2019. Due to the notorious PTU issues with the vehicle, I had asked Ferrari of Utah to do an inspection for pre-purchase and also so that I can purchase the powertrain warranty. They performed inspection which cost about $800. Inspection went well without any issues (had some battery problem but it just didn’t have a full charge) so I purchased the FF and had it shipped to Washington state. The following six weeks I have been playing phone tag with the service department of Utah with a service rep called Chandler. Essentially, he had been telling me that he was just waiting for paperwork, everything had checked out and that this was just a waiting game. After six week, he gave me a call and said that he’s unable to sell me the Ferrari new powertrain insurance without any specific reasoning. I had brought it to their manager and he was of no help also. I escalated up to BBB, but unfortunately there was no resolution.

I then contacted Ferrari of Seattle and asked if I could purchase the powertrain warranty through them. They informed me that they had to do the inspection again even though it was done recently by Ferrari dealership. The gentleman on the phone, said that it would cost $1200 for the pre-inspection. I asked him why it was $400 more than Ferrari of Utah and he said that they had to do some compression testing, hence it would be more. I said I will contact him two weeks later to schedule an appointment. Two weeks after, I contacted the service rep and unfortunately he did not work there anymore. The service manager emailed me back and said that the inspection cost with the 12 cylinder powertrain warranty was going to be $9360 + tax, which meant that the inspection charge was gonna be $3610 alone as the warranty normally cost $5750. My jaw dropped. I emailed him back stating that the last representative had called me talk hundred dollars for it, he then replied saying, “oops, my bad, must have had fat fingers” and stated it was going to be $1600. Although, it was pretty clear he had put some thought in the email. He also said that it’s more because of an older vehicle and needed compression testing.

Something just didn’t add it. It seemed like they were just randomly giving out quotes and there were no standards to it. Luckily, I visit Vancouver, British Columbia quite often since my folks are up there. I gave for Vancouver a call and ask them about the new power train warranty inspection. He said the warranty for a 12 cylinder is $5750USD. I asked him how much the inspection cost would be, he said it’s included. Wow. WTF. He confirmed that it covers all of North America. I booked the next available appointment.

I had my inspection performed at Ferrari Vancouver yesterday which took about five hours and I had purchased the powertrain warranty without any additional inspection fee. They were great. The only downside was that he had to charge me in CDN with Vancouver tax, but it still saved me a bundle.

Maybe most of you are already aware of this don’t mind the addition $8-1600 charge, but it didn’t make sense for me that there was such a large discrepancy. This worked in my favor as I go up to Vancouver quite often. If you do plan on getting the new power warranty or need it renewed and don’t mind the drive up to Vancouver, I would highly recommend it. Ask for Justin in the Sales department. If not, please call around and compare.

He also shared with me that by not charging me any inspection fee, he still makes about $1200CAD.

Maybe that’s why Utah didn’t want to sell it to me cause it’s too late for them to get my vehicle back to gouge for more money. Anyways, that’s my story. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

WadeP, italiafan, otakki and 7 others like this.
  2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    What goes around comes around. Bad karma for Ferrari Seattle.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i thought canada and US had different programs - are you sure a Canadian sold power is usable in the USA? im pretty sure it isnt

FerRrari likes this.
  4. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    I had them triple check. I made sure they wrote it in black and white for me in case I ran into any problems. I’m addition, I let Ferrari of Seattle know that I had purchased it from Vancouver and they said that’s awesome
    and gave compliments to Ferrari of Vancouver.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh boy - wait until you try and get Seattle to cover something....

FerRrari and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Lol. I wanted to be transparent with them. Guess we’ll have to see how much integrity they have!

7. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is the powertrain warranty a continuation of the original manufacturer 3/36 bumper to bumper coverage? I am looking to get my first F car. Looked at a 5900 mile '15 F12 at F of San Diego. I want to make sure it has a warranty and was told on a V12 it is $6360/yr and if you buy 2 years initially it is considered CPO and you can continue to buy it every year up to 15 yrs from the date of original manufacture. No mention of an inspection fee. Is all of this correct?

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm about to go through this exact process of getting a preowned Ferrari inspected and certified for the 1 yr additional power warranty with my local dealer here in California

They did not mention anything about an inspection fee and instead quoted me the amount for simply the 1 yr warranty extension if it passes inspection, but now will inquire a bit more to be sure

dolphins08430 likes this.
  9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Extensions do not require inspection. OP was buying a new warranty which does require inspection.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Such is why everyone hates car dealers.

NYC Fred and timjen88 like this.
  11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I am excited to hear what you are getting. Please pm when you get a chance.

sampelligrino likes this.
  12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is 15 yrs or 56000 miles. You cannot buy one after car reaches 56k miles

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    yep mine is out of warranty and need to buy a new one. Shouldn't have said additional. Just getting first year of ownership covered for peace of mind. Knocking on wood I will self insure after, assuming I still have the car!

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I bought my extended warranty from Steve at Boardwalk Ferrari in Texas ... he had a better price than my local dealer and I saved the sales tax, too. His username is SAFE4NOW on here.

MrAwilson and ScottS like this.
  15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I paid $5700 at Ferrari of Denver with inspection for one year powertrain

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FofSeattle.... have heard bad owner stories for years.

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I was just going to say that from memory such stories are not unheard of for F of Seattle. It's never been a straight up horror story but its always more like, we are a monopoly in a rich area so we will kinda do and charge whatever we feel like.

dustman likes this.
  18. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I was just over at Ferrari of Seattle today. I love those guys. I think all dealers to some extent take heat on various things.

FerRrari and Fugy like this.
  19. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    I had purchased the new powertrain warranty as I was unable to purchase an extended warranty. Covers all internal engine and transmission parts. Does not cover leaks. You are able to purchase this warranty for up to 12 years from the manufacture date of the car. There is not mileage limit. You’ll need to renew the warranty every year with an inspection (which I now know is included in the price). Once it’s under warranty, it’s unlimited miles for that year. That’s at least what the Ferrari service manager told me.

I think the service at Ferrari of Seattle is great. No issues with them and I would still go back for their services or next purchase. I purchased my GT4 with them at a great price and they were great to work with. Just had hope all Ferrari dealerships had a set service price standard.

Thanks!

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yep that’s the price; of the car had continuous service u are eligible for 2 years at 8500 ; if one was missed or not renewed I was told can only get 1 year at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yep all correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You cannot purchase a powertrain warranty if car has over 56k miles

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    To be clear, the two years for the price of one year on the Power warranty is not available unless it is a dealer car offered to you. If you own an existing car then the Power warranty (not the OEM bumper-to-bumper warranty) is only one year at a time. They will also want to hit you extra for the inspection at year 8 when the annuals end.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    The Ferrari New Power book with service coupons that I obtained in both North Carolina and California says "Ferrari North America" and is written equally in both English and French, indicating that they use the same program anywhere in North America, even thought there is no Spanish for Mexico.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Worse case scenario if not covered in the US...will just have to transport the car across the border.