360 - HELP With Battery | FerrariChat

360 HELP With Battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by vdm9, Mar 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    So one day the battery is fine and the next day she is sounding alarms and cursing in Italian.
    I call my tech and he says change the battery - its only from 2019 but I'm a soldier and do what I'm told.
    I pick up a new interstate battery from my 'guy' - everyone has a guy, and I say "this is the right one, right?
    "Yes sir, yes it is!"
    I run home, remove the old battery and install the new one. As I am ready to close her up, I notice that its an AGM battery...
    Are these cars compatible with an AGM battery? I did notice that the charger says lead acid battery charger.
    Good ? Bad ? Do over? Walk of shame...???

Thanks for the input
    vdm

2. Dino6304

Dino6304 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2020
    CT
    Full Name:
    Laurence
    AGM is the way to go. What size battery did you purchase?
    Thanks

vdm9 likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There weren't really AGM when this car came out so the charger were for lead acid. AGM has come out since and is great. Generally the original charger is ok but I wouldn't keep one plugged in to an AGM for long periods. Run the AGM battery but get a new charger that supports AGM.

vdm9 likes this.
  4. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    Not sure what size . Its an interstate
    It had slightly more cca and such than what was in there. Same size . I will check tomorrow for the size.
    Thank you for the reply
    vdm

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #5 f355spider, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    This is incorrect information. AGM batteries have been around for at least 25 years. 430 Scuderias for the North American market came standard with Optima Red Top AGM batteries installed. Ferrari provided the same Ctek battery tender they always did...which did not have an AGM setting.

AGM batteries do not require a charger with an AGM specific setting, though there an be some benefit to using one with such a setting.
    Here is the recommendations from Optima Batteries who only offer AGM batteries:
    "Low and slow is best. A low-amp charger (one to 12 amps) is generally the best choice for charging any lead-acid battery. It's quicker to charge at higher amperage, but it also can generate a lot of heat, which reduces the life of a battery, just like the heat of summer.
    Under normal conditions, most 12-volt automatic battery chargers will work on an AGM battery. Many newer battery chargers have settings specifically for AGM batteries"

If you have a microprocessor controlled battery tender, it should work fine with your Interstate AGM battery. There should be no need to immediately run out and buy a new battery tender with an AGM specific setting.

ama9910, Qavion and dreichman like this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Careful now: OP is asking about a 360 so way before the 430 Scud. In fact battery selection for the 360 will date back at least 23 years and probably more. I didn't say that AGM "requires" a special charger. In fact I said "Generally the original charger is ok" and then added in some information that will help avoid some of the issues with using older style chargers on AGM. Last, I made a recommendation to use AGM. So what exactly is it that I said incorrectly?

7. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    Thank you all for your response, expertise, facts, and opinions.
    I have always found Fchat to be a great community of information exchange and friendship.
    vdm