458 - First time at Streets of Willow | FerrariChat

458 First time at Streets of Willow

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by axlesofevil, Mar 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hey all,

Thought I'd post the video I put together from my first time at Streets of Willow in SoCal. It's... not one of my favorite tracks. Definitely pretty technical and not great for a big high-horsepower car. And the track is kind of falling apart; instead of nice berms the track just sort of.... ends. If you clip a corner you get quite the jolt as you'll see in the video.

This was also my first time using a GoPro and RaceChrono. Turns out the iPhone GPS is not very good so you'll see the speeds jumping. I've since upgraded my setup to include an external GPS.

And a pic from the day:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Enjoy!

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Amazing video and pictures. Your 458 just looks so much angrier than mine.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Congrats! Hope you get out to the local tracks more. I excercise my 550 on track about once a year then club race a 2019 mustang Gt the rest of the year. If interested a really fun driver's school can be found at AROSC.org. Next one is sept 2021 a bit hot that time of year but fun. They have 3 classes HI Perf driving, time trials and race group. All the classes are fun and cheap! It is a great weekend with great people. Every few years I'll do race school again to practice starts all day.

4. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Nice video, fun tight road track.

5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Looks like you had a lot of fun. Such a shame, the track is in really bad shape. Thanks for sharing.

axlesofevil likes this.
  6. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I also have an E92 M3 that I use to track. It's a bit easier to drive and a lot more neutral. The 458 is a bit of a handful.

I actually ran with AROSC years ago! They run a good event. I'll have to look into going back sometime. I'll check out the Sep date.

fatbillybob likes this.
  7. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    thanks for sharing, looks like a blast and your skills look good

axlesofevil likes this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I ran my E92 Comp on Big Willow and beat the 458 every lap. Love both, diff purposes. 458 is a wonderful handful. M3 so predictable.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah the track day shown here was on the original 5yo Pilot Sports that came with the car. After getting used to my M3 the 458 just seemed a bit terrifying. Lots of power oversteer.

A month later I took the M3 to Chuckwalla and ran with R888R. On the first lap I shouted to myself "I love this car." It is just so balanced and neutral, especially compared to the Italia. I think better tires and more seat time will help me appreciate the F car a bit more.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely agree with you. My M3 set the fastest lap all day at BigW, including GT3’s, 458’s and heavily mod cars. Stock M3 comp with good tires is the real deal. If you remove a few hundred pounds from the car...!

axlesofevil likes this.
  11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Isn't it amazing how good a BMW can be! Honestly, I have been underwhelmed in every Ferrari I have driven on the track. In fact back in the day the 348 was the hot Ferrari. Mine turned into a gutted out racecar as I wanted more and more from the 348. Street trim just did not do it for me. Today I keep one last "old man" 550 maranello as my future trackcar when I can no longer race.

I think often of racing the motorsports version M2clubsport but man that thing is heavy

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I bet we are in the minority thinking this way though as the brand image often obscures reality. There’s no doubt that the right F car in hands of very talented drivers is quicker. But for the avg fanatic, not so much.

13. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I mean you just look at any track day and see the cars there and you can see how people feel about F cars at track duty. They're all BMWs and Porsches as far as the eye can see. And the smattering of McLarens. Sure an M3 driver might not be in the budget for a Ferrari, but someone with a GT3 RS? GT2? 600LT?

I was definitely a little disappointed in my experience but I chalked it up to the less-than-stellar track and my less-than-stellar tires. I'm headed to Willow Springs with fresh PS4Ss later this month so I'm interested in seeing how much the experience improves.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The thought of going off into the front splitter and rim destroying hardpack on all sides of the track leaves one less than 100% committed on many of those high speed turns.

15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, exactly. That's what was so nice about our old LeMons race car. It's meant to be trashed. :p

Take those turns at 10/10s with no fear.