458 - 458 squeak when low speed 5mph and under - help! Video with sound | FerrariChat

458 458 squeak when low speed 5mph and under - help! Video with sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Mar 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My 2010 458 has a squeak that occurs when I’m driving at idle speed around 5-7mph and less. The squeak is not there when the car is stopped or when I accelerate past 7mph or so. It’s typically only heard when I’m driving slowly in parking lots and happens in both forward and reverse. I took a short video where you can hear the squeak. It sounds like it’s coming from behind me but I’m not sure where exactly or what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is the video with the sound as I’m driving slowly in a parking lot:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast

3. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Here is a SECOND video where I have the car in neutral rolling down a slow hill at under 5mph where you can hear the squeaking very clearly:

4. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Happens only at low speed.

5. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Is this under braking or not? I wonder if your brakes are rubbing ever so slightly.

You could always take it to a dealer.

6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    It is not under braking. It happens when the car is rolling forward or backward at 7mph and under, happens both in gear and in neutral.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Never heard that before. Find a hill and put the car in natural and see if it does it when rolling. I'd also try putting the car in car wash mode and coast down a hill with the motor off and see if it does it then also - at least this would help rule out stuff like a tensioner belt, etc.

Does it happen if you bring the RPM's up when the car isn't moving?

I'd also inspect the E-brake tensioning system, since it likes to re-wind tension at around the speed you are seeing; I'm wondering if maybe the cable has broken and it's in some sort of loop trying to tension things.

I'd also check for a stuck pad, since that has a very ceramic sound to it.

Ray

8. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Have your check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Here is a video of the car in neutral rolling down a hill at about 5mph. It does it in neutral when rolling.

It does not rise or fall when I rev the engine or add RPMs, and It goes away once the car is above 10moh or so. It does not squeak or make any noises when parked and I rev the engine, only when it starts moving.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Guys, I just did a test on a hill with the engine OFF and the car in neutral (car wash mode) rolling down the hill. It makes the squeaking noise even with the engine OFF and the car rolling at about 5moh. So definitely not a belt, tensioner, or engine issue. Here is a video of the engine OFF and rolling in neutral with the sound:

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Brake or bearing!

SV

12. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    Does it go away if you slightly depress the brake pedal?

Could it be a wheel bearing?

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    He should try it again but steering right and left to see if it goes away in a change in direction...

SV

14. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    I'm hearing the same on my 2015 458 spider. Typically when on an incline coming in or out of driveways at very slow speeds. Then it disappears and I never heard it again. Just started noticing last week. Let us know if/when you figure it out. Will bring it up with service when I have it in shortly to add skid plates. Generally I'm under slight braking in these cases so I've assumed it's cold brakes until now.

15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Please share what you learn when your car is at service! My squeak noise occurs when not under any braking.

This is a very annoying issue.

16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’ll see and report back.

17. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Tried that tonight and it didn’t improve or worsen based on a direction change.

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ok good job. That helps narrow things down a bit.

The sound has a harmonic resonating quality to it. My guess would be a stuck pad which isn't retracting in its slot and thus the face is being held slightly in contact against the surface of the rotor. Listen to this video here, where I'm demonstrating how flat the deck on my Toyota pickup motor block is; higher pitch but tell me if it's a similar sounding resonation sound in your case. If so I would guess yours is also being produced by two very flat surfaces, and that points to pad/rotor:

Jump to about 13:15 in this video and you'll see the sound I'm referring to:

So the inboard and outboard brake pads ride in slots on the 458, as I recall. I'm wondering if the slots are dirty and not allowing the pads to retract fully and/or a dirty caliper piston might be holding the pads against the face of the carbon ceramic rotor. Can you check the pads and see how much they are warn down? If you can send a picture, it's usually easy to tell. The surface material is 10mm thick when new, so start by seeing how much is left. Hopefully the sounds isn't coming from the wear scraper or a rivet or something.

Also, try this - spray down all four rotors with water and then see if the noise goes away or changes pitch. Even just a spray bottle with water should work as a test.

Ray

19. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Definitely wheel bearing or brake hanging up. Sounds the same on any car with that rotating quality to it. I’m leaning towards wheel bearing.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Usually a wheel bearing noise will be present at all speeds. It will also become more severe and/or the tone will change when turning due to increased lateral loads.

Since the sound vanishes over 7 MPH and doesn't seem to be affected by turning, my money is still on the rotor/pads creating a harmonic vibration and a specific resonate frequency.

I could also be a heat shield or something touching an axle perhaps.

Ray

21. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just tried with slight depresses of the brake pedal at varying pressures and it did not alleviate the squeak at all.

What do you think?

22. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Ray, thank you for your detailed response and diligent help. I just watched the video and the squeaking sound in my car sounds very similar to the sound in the video you posted at 13:15.

Of note, this morning when I started the car up and left the house the sound wasn’t there! But after having breakfast at a restaurant and being out and about for about two hours and starting my car back up in the parking lot of where I was, the sound reappeared and it’s been there all day again. The sound is there about 90% of the time, with very rare moments where it’s either gone entirely or not as bad about 10% of the time, but this is rare. Give this inconsistency in the sound and it not being there a constant 24/7, perhaps this also points to a rotor issue as opposed to wheel bearings where with wheel bearings the sound would likely be constant and not come and go every so often.

I will check my brake pad wear, take photos of all 4 rotors, and will spray them down with water and report all of this back.

Thank you my friend.

RayJohns likes this.
  23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Parking brake?

Although the sound doesn’t seem to increase in frequency with wheel revolutions that I can tell...

SV

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Generally, with wheel bearings, if you go around a corner (like a long swooping turn), the sound of a wheel bearing will increase because the only thing keeping the wheel and hub from flying off the car is the wheel bearings. When bearings start making noise, they usually start and don't stop - and they get louder going around corners due to lateral loads.

My money is still on pads or rotors.

BTW, some Ferrari dealers actually chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the 458 brake pads in order to help cut down the squeaking the CCM setup tends to have. I personally don't think it's a good idea, but I have seen dealers do it. Main thing is to keep the tracks where the pads ride clean and ensure the positions aren't sticking.

Ray

25. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    Yes. It is really leaning towards brakes IMO.