EZ Power Steering kit | Page 9 | FerrariChat

EZ Power Steering kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Ah, the "box" with the 4 socket head screws makes perfect sense now !! Good job.
    As Aaron says 1.6 is lightening quick, it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the ratio once you've driven it. I think somewhere between 2.0 and 2.5 would be be where I'd want to be.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The options are:

Stock 3.2 (unless I "measure" wrong...it was more an approximation)
    superpeformance rack 2.5
    A stock 3.2 rack with a 1.5:1 quickener would yield 2.13.
    A 2.5 rack with a 1.5:1 quickener is 1.67
    A 3.2 rack with 2:1 quickener is 1.6
    A 2.5 rack with 2:1 quickener is 1.25

Years ago I build an fsae car with a setup under 1 turn so I was thinking 1.6 seems a TON :) It was pretty nice at the autoX and not horrible at 70, sensitive for sure but fine. I don't do track events so I'm not really concerned about more than 70-80mph but I do enjoy autoX so that is my focus and what's driving the desire for pretty quick steering.

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    FYI Dad was on the board of Snell and helped develop their testing procedures for many of their helmets, football, cycling, Auto, Motorcycle, etc. He was a Navy Flight surgeon and develop testing with humans to see what REALLY happens in an impact. They actually go out and buy a helmet off the shelf to test. and their testing includes impact and puncture parameters. That said, there are usually minor changes for the new sticker. But I wholeheartedly agree, use what you are comfortable with.

4. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Anyone been testing with different castor angles, lowering them i think you can trade som high speed stability for low speed steering effort.
    If i remember correct mine were measured to 4.5 degrees which is quite a lot.

ATSAaron likes this.
  5. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I was just about to start an alignment thread because I was wondering the exact same thing.

Aaron

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Here's the pretty much final assembly. I still need to make a bracket/torque arm but I wasn't loving the ideas I had so I decided to have a drink and think about it instead.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

this one lets you see kind of what I did. On the left is the piece I cut off the steering column, on the right the piece I stole from the original shaft. For sure it would be possible to not cut or steal anything......but this was faster and cheaper.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Now that I received the EZ steer (and instructions! :) ) I find myself having second thought about cutting the body panel. :eek: I thought I had mentally sorted this out but now not so sure. I keep telling myself, "It's MY car, I can do whatever I want!" That worked fine before I had the unit and it was just a 'theoretical' exercise.;)

Might end up having an EZ steer for sale...or not! Life is so confusing.o_O

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Pulling out the cutting tools is always a tough call. My car was in sad shape when I got it so the all original ship had already sailed making stuff like this much easier to justify and the heavy steering is something that has always diminished the the driving experience so it didn't take a lot of thought for me to start cutting. I will say it is pretty hidden and just a flat piece of metal any semi-competent body shop could replace, but don't do something you're uncomfortable with.

Maybe try to arrange a drive in the car that has the system and then decide to cut or not?

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks - good advice! I know I WANT power steering for exactly the reason you stated, and I know the cut is invisible unless you lay in the foot well. So I just need to quit waffling around and get on with it!!

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Sell it Mike,, and get the 928 Supercharger kit instead :D

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What's the big deal?
    You're over thinking it.

12. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I do not think power steering is needed on my '87 328 that I have owned for 33 years.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good for you

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have power steering.....time to drink again.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    GREAT VIDEO!!!! :D

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I thought you might like that. Remember though, I'm working twice as hard both before and after because of the quickener.

Here's what I ended up doing for the mount. The first pic is terrible but I rolled the cut edge to make a radius then bent up some straps to hold the motor against the radius. It can't rotate with the column but the column can still move up/down so steering wheel height can be adjusted and the EPS motor follows along happily. Super simple compared to what I was plotting Thursday night before breaking to drink on it...think, I mean think on it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My only criticism regards using a fairly complex project as a reason to "drink on it!" I can "drink about" changing a light bulb! :)

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The #5 reamer came and that removed all the play from the system as I'd hoped.

I'm going to be 100% honest and admit that I would only give the speedway quickener 3 stars. There is no slop and I have fast steering but the gears are cut not ground and straight not helical so I do feel the teeth....it will probably "wear in" and get feeling a bit better but the reality is parts don't really wear in they wear out....I think its fine but for anyone considering this path just be aware you will likely feel the gears if you're trying to.

I had to catch up on some house work and will likely have more tomorrow but I did move on to the the big hole I cut and started kind of shaping out a shape to fiberglass. I've kind of resigned myself to the idea it will take at least 2 tries to get right.....everything is nice cuz I do it all twice o_O

as part of the mold I had to remove a vent hose....and realized way no matter how hard I tried to seal leaks the cabin was still flooded with hot radiator air......

Saabguy and maurice70 like this.
  19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #220 mk e, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Looks promising! :)

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Its more work then the rest of the system I think.....and this stuff is a mess to work with. I taped a diaper inside the car and put the glass on relatively dry to try to keep the rest of the car cleanish but knew the layout would turn out just awful. There is no way to see what is going on in back and barely anyway to reach it so just getting something that kind of fits the space is all I'd hoped for.

Now I'm work off the car so its a lot easier. I'll get the inside of the 1st layup looking decent and do a new layup inside which will yield a decent looking outside without all the bondo. If that fits right then great!, but mentally I'm thinking I'll likely end up needing to fix that a bit, then layup over to create a better mold, then make a second part....hopefully not...but......another couple days.

I'll also admit that I realized there isn't any good way to put this together. The steering goes right in and the bracket is pretty easy.....with not cover hiding the top bolt. Not sure I'll be able to reach the clamp bolt with the cover in place and may need to either drill an access hole and leave the cover removable. oops.

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    NICE, looks like it belongs there! Sadly - that's one thing I have NO talent for - making/molding fiberglass items. Wouldn't even know how to start!

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I posted all the steps for you, its a lot more messy than hard.....the worst that happens it you throw it out. I used about 1 full pack of mat and 1 full quart of resin and bondo from homedepot (they deliver and Lana's really strict about outings with Covid)

- Or there is a decent chance my part would work or nearly work. The way I made it, it just sets on top, except the front edge which tucks inside to stay out of the way of the peddle box. The setting on top means the cutout size/shape can change quite a lot and the cover still work....my main concern is if it will be tall enough as I don't know how my fiesta EPS unit/position compares to EZ steer exactly...50/50 change it would need a remake.

They show a narrower cutout in the instruction, but then right below that they show exactly the cutout I have, much wider as seen be the 1 pedal box bolt so you can be certain of orientation. I could repair my mold and kind of guess from the pics at the difference then part another part for you to try. If it fits give me $100 because its a horrible job that you take me a couple hours, if not make the changes you need by cutting and getting the shape right with cardboard, tape, foam, whatever then send it back and I'll make another....then give me $100 because its still a horrible job and now I've got double the time into it.

- Or a local body shop could do it for you I'm sure. Show them a couple of the pics if they aren't getting it...especially the pic of the diaper to keep the resin OUT of the car.

- Or Just pack the hole with foam like Aaron liked to, I think that is what at least a couple people have done, I'm sure it works. You can probably paint the foam with rubber or contact cement to lock it in shape....I've seen that done but never tried it myself.