348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Plenty of threads along this same issue/outcome. Check my post from 2012, #7

axarunner likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Hel-loooo, how many MILES since major? (yes. I am concerned :p )

axarunner likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Pretty sure he did that as part of the TSB during the major.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Pretty sure? Do you know that a TSB was followed? Did you witness the major being performed? How about we let the OP comment on the possibility?

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha ha, does anyone witness their whole major? Ohh and yes, he did it, if that helps you.

6. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I’ll be visiting my car on Tuesday to see the extent of the damage and to decide on a course of action. I’m inclined to keep it and enjoy it over the summertime. Classic Coach Ferrari is doing the work and I trust them.

https://classiccoachrepair.com

I’ll report back then... thanks for the well wishes and concerns.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

allandwf likes this.
  7. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    2-3,000

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BJK likes this.
  8. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy

9. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Curious, without modern on board diagnostics that measure revs, throttle position, and stress, how did he determin you over revved and blew the engine? You said that you didn’t miss a shift or hit the rev limiter.

10. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think if you over-revved or mis-shifted you would know. I have seen both done in cars that I think would be much less obvious than a Ferrari and it would be almost impossible to not realize. Would be curious to hear how they came up with that diagnosis, that said Classic Coach is a very respected place so hard to disagree w them.

axarunner likes this.
  11. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I find OP's like axarunner to be annoying. They're a type on car forums. They parachute in with a big story ("I was driving down the road minding my own business and my engine blew!!!")....and then they say nothing. They ignore legitimate questions from people trying to help them, because who cares about manners. Every post is a tossed-off partial sentence that raises more questions than it answers ("The mechanic says I over-revved it, but I didn't"). The whole attitude is dismissive and arrogant, as if we were all begging the OP to honor us with his presence and it's a chore to do so.

In this case I also don't believe the OP's story. He money shifted his car because he's worse at driving than he is at forum etiquette.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wait isn't there a fuel cut off on the engine to prevent it from overeving? I mean it is one purpose of the ECU. Perhaps others can confirm , but pretty sure that's accurate.

axarunner likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Fuel cutoff works when you accelerate but doesn't help if you miss shift into a lower gear and over rev engine by the inertia of moving vehicle /wheels at speed

I am not saying what happened just answering prior post
    Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

360Fezza and innerloop like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #64 Ferrarium, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Ahh sure makes sense downshift would do it sure was thinking winding it up only.

Wonder how one knows it was over revved to cause damage. Perhaps lack of any evidence of any actual failed parts defaults to that diagnosis. Still curious how over revving causes a seize which sounds like what happens to shear teeth from belt, perhaps some crazy rpm would do it 5th to 3rd at 80mph in a 348? But OP says he was just tooling along, no reason to doubt that.

I know I have done 6th to 3rd in my 2.0 JDM RA Spec C many times and despite discussion of the single belt design the Subaru, have that too, mine had 9K rpm fuel cut off from the factory. I have downshifted and bounced off the end of the tach. Sounds more like timing belt skipped tooth, had interference and belt striped. Double check those tensioned and the other pulley bracket which the OEM one can crack if overtightened, Hill makes a billet one to replace it.

Not sure I buy over revving but regardless seems there is no prior work related defect, you have a course, so best of luck. Hopefully pistons are intact.

mr308gtb likes this.
  15. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    I was merely accelerating after slowing for the toll booth. I may have hit 7,000 rpm’s but that’s doubtful due to traffic... I’m looking at a used engine instead of a total rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Targatime: Go easy on me... the engine failed and I didn’t “money shift” my 348. I did accelerate “hard” to about 7,000 rpm on the Garden State Parkway after passing through a toll booth. The engine “let go” about one mile later. I’m 65 years old, I’ve owner the car for about 18 months, I’ve had sports cars all my life so I’m respectful of these machines; I know how to drive. Sometimes things just happen (Murphy’s Law comes to mind)...
    Have a little mercy on me as this repair will not come cheap. When valves hit pistons mayhem ensues...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think people want to know what happened so they can check their cars. I believe you actually. I don't necessarily believe it was over revved, I suspect something else less obvious may have happened.
    Check this item for cracks. https://www.hillengineering.co.uk/engine-related/engine-general/147132
    or the Oil Pump Chain Tensioner had a pin come loose or something that's not seen from the viewing the belt section.

In any event, best of luck and truly sorry to hear it Dan.

axarunner and BJK like this.
  18. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I feel for the OP... it totally sucks. Having said that I personally never take my 29 year old $70000 Ferrari past 6000 rpm.... it's just a comfortable number in my head that I never go over "just because". I had the same rule with my 328 never had problems with either car. I feel there is always a risk or a consequence if you push a car near or at its redline.....even a new car.....nevermind a 29 year old car. Things age, things wear out.

axarunner likes this.
  19. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    No way you over revved it, that is a defensive response from the people that did the work......Then on the standard ECU you can't over rev it anyway, even if you tried really hard free revving it, its very very unlikely to overshoot enough to cause any damage.
    These engines can pull 9000rpm all day, and there are some that do with aftermarket ECU's and chipped motronics......this over revving theory is nonsense.

It is possible the fence has failed on that cambelt drive sprocket.....its actually not likely anything they did either as if it was I feel it would have failed sooner.

It could also be some completely unrelated failure.......

I would be wanting to see the front covers off the engine, lots of photos and so forth and also get some independent assessments as well if need be.

Do not beat yourself up, here you have an opportunity to make a better 348, if something like this happened to my car, I would be looking at a 355 or 360 engine option possibly, there is scope to make the car even better than what it was.
    Or you could rebuild the existing engine and have it completely stock....
    But its far from over and depending on what caused the failure and how responsible the guys that did the service are, you might not come out too bad....

axarunner and Pangea like this.
  20. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I absolutely take my car to 8500- what’s the point of a 5yr major cycle and meticulous maintenance if you can’t drive it the way it was intended. Sure my car is 24 years old but most everything on the engine that would catastrophically fail is probably no more than 3 years.

21. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I do, frequently, that's where all the power is!!
    There is nothing fragile about these cars as long as they are well maintained........There is no risk whatsoever taking a 348 to its very conservative redline.....

DBomb117, axarunner and bjwhite like this.
  22. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #72 POLO35, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    I don't fault anybody for the way they drive their vehicle it's their vehicle and their choice but for me personally redline means red line anything under is safe and anything over is not safe so I stay way under just to be really safe. 6000 rpm is fun enough for me. BTW 348 redline is 7500. My only point is that driving at or near redline does have risk and/or consequences.....especially on a 29+ year old car.

epb0 likes this.
  23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

You're absolutely missing out. These engines thrive above 6000. Absolutely insane you keep it under 6. You should sell it if that's the truth. haha.

axarunner likes this.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its a different shop, that's the thing. A respected shop too that does rotisserie 250K restorations, F40's 50's you name it including an SP333 last time I was in there.

axarunner likes this.
  25. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    You're entitled to have your opinion of course, and drive however you see fit, but the fact is, there is plenty more to be had above 6000, the engines are designed to run at those higher RPM and in fact the 7500 is a very very conservative limit.
    There are absolutely no more consequences running the engine to its 7500 limit than keeping it under 6000............Use it like it was intended let it rip!! These engines thrive at those higher revs....