Squeak between gears is normal - according to ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Squeak between gears is normal - according to ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Omegaelite, Oct 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you one of the 80% who has the 458 gear squeak?

1. Yes i do - Ferrari are right

2. No Im not - Ferrari are talking rubbish 80% my arse!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    My Italia does this but only when shifting under hard acceleration. I don't mind it at all.

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn't read this whole thread, but it is in fact "normal" for the 458. The noise comes from the accessory drive belt. As soon as it turns approx. 1 1/2 to 2 years old, you will hear the chirp. When the belt gets replaced, it goes away for another 2 years +/-. The owners manual says to change the belt every 2 years, now I know why they want to change it so often..
    My theory (and it's just a baseless theory that I came up with, LOL) is that the belt dry rots slightly, and when the car shifts hard, that momentary decrease and/or increase in RPM is so fast with this car, that you are hearing the accessory pulleys slightly slip because they have trouble keeping up with the change of RPM. When the belt is brand new, it's much stickier, so this is not heard. Like I said, just a theory that I made up, but it helps me accept this "quirk".
    Those who are not hearing it, are probably not driving hard enough, or not ever in a cold climate (I don't remember hearing it much in the heat...maybe VERY slightly)

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Let's see..... Doing your head in. Hmmmmm..... It could be the bubble and squeak, mate. :rolleyes:

4. AP458

AP458 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Full Name:
    AP
    Had a 458. Had the same issue. Took it to dealer and a Ferrari mechanic not associated with Ferrari. I was told the same thing. I found it hard to believe as well. It happed more when I was on the gas hard.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Most who seem to be OK with it or "OK" with it likely kept their 458/458 Spider/458 Speciale/458 SA or are trying to sell it. It bothered me enough that I sold it. Having owned several 9k rpm redline cars over the years from different makes, revving up the Speciale was awesome until you hear that squeal. And to those who say don't rev it to 9k or don't apply so much throttle, I say, what's the point in a car like that then?

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually as I recall a few folks tracked this down to a slipping belt. Once replaced the squeak went away...

SV

7. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Agree with this. Exact scenario for me. As soon as I put a fresh belt on it went away. It has been a year and not a single chirp - I am sure it will return next year. Really concerned me before I knew what it was and no one could tell me it was anything other than “normal”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  8. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #58 Rexcat458, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Interesting thread... Perhaps I’m lucky, but my 2015 458 has never made the noise. My accessory belt was just changed last month at its annual service. I’ve put ~5k miles on it in the last year.

I asked why the belt must be changed every two years and was told to prevent wear/slippage/noise.

Cheers!

up4speed and SECRET like this.